[FND] New Apple

All development of pixel art and graphics
User avatar
Kage
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 927
Joined: 02 May 2009, 19:12

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by Kage » 11 Jul 2009, 18:46

Inkweaver wrote:I agree that the one we have needs replacement, because it is orange, not red, but I don't think that green is the way to go.
The main issue with our current apple is the shading
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by kr0n05931 » 11 Jul 2009, 19:25

Peavey wanted this one:

Image

The pixel monkey can't do his job if he keeps getting more than one specific opinion on the details, especially from the developers.

Reference:

Image

By the way people, THIS is an olive:

Image
Lazy bum.
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by Jaxad0127 » 11 Jul 2009, 19:33

kr0n05931 wrote:Image
The light in that is from the wrong direction. But it is a good shape reference.
kr0n05931 wrote:
apple-high-quality-redo.png
Flatten the sides.
Image
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by kr0n05931 » 11 Jul 2009, 19:38

Until I get a concise answer, I'm not doing crap. The last image was almost the same as the first, but I was told to make it rounder and plumper like this:

Image

I made it like that because Jaxad said this:
11:27 < Jaxad0127> take an apple, position a camera at a 45 degree angle above it, light is from the right direction, take a picture
11:27 < Jaxad0127> adjust light, apple direction, etc, take another picture
11:27 < Jaxad0127> repeat
Then everyone said to make it red, so I got this:

Image

Then Turmfalke says feces like this:
12:26 < turmfalke> so you want to replace the good looking old apple with a new ugly tomato cause its perspective is not the same as a building?
Afterwards, peavey says this:
12:28 < turmfalke> yes I know, the apple is client side so I can still use the old
12:29 < peavey> I know its supposed to be an apple because the file is named apple.. else I would have guessed tomato or blood orange.
12:29 < peavey> its too spherical
So I got this:

Image



I don't know how hard this is to understand, but this:

Image

Is not this:

Image

But is actually this:

Image


Seriously, you guys need your eyes checked. :?

EDIT - Consider this a forced resignation, I quit.
Last edited by kr0n05931 on 11 Jul 2009, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Lazy bum.
peavey
Novice
Novice
Posts: 101
Joined: 12 Feb 2008, 05:15

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by peavey » 11 Jul 2009, 19:44

I was thinking something like this, and this is just a draft because I can't pixel!
apple-high-quality-pv.png
apple try
apple-high-quality-pv.png (804 Bytes) Viewed 1112 times
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by Jaxad0127 » 11 Jul 2009, 19:48

peavey wrote:I was thinking something like this, and this is just a draft because I can't pixel!
apple-high-quality-pv.png
Perspective?
kr0n05931 wrote:Image
Looking good to me.
Image
peavey
Novice
Novice
Posts: 101
Joined: 12 Feb 2008, 05:15

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by peavey » 11 Jul 2009, 19:57

yes I can't pixel as I said, it should be shaded to fool the eye as Don says, then the bottom can look 45 too.
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by kr0n05931 » 11 Jul 2009, 20:00

peavey wrote:yes I can't pixel as I said, it should be shaded to fool the eye as Don says, then the bottom can look 45 too.
It can't be. If you take an apple in real life and move it into a 45° angle, then the dimples on the bottom entirely disappear. The apple Len posted is close to a 45° angle.
Lazy bum.
User avatar
Kage
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 927
Joined: 02 May 2009, 19:12

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by Kage » 11 Jul 2009, 20:02

kr0n05931 wrote:
peavey wrote:yes I can't pixel as I said, it should be shaded to fool the eye as Don says, then the bottom can look 45 too.
It can't be. If you take an apple in real life and move it into a 45° angle, then the dimples on the bottom entirely disappear. The apple Len posted is in a 45° angle.
Lets replace apples with Mana Fruit. So we can make it look how ever we damn well please.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
John P
Novice
Novice
Posts: 271
Joined: 19 Apr 2009, 01:55

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by John P » 11 Jul 2009, 20:52

how about a manana
User avatar
Black Don
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 660
Joined: 06 Feb 2008, 22:30

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by Black Don » 11 Jul 2009, 21:20

I like both Image and Image you should make the stem longer so its not as easily confused for something else.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by kr0n05931 » 11 Jul 2009, 22:02

Already 3 different ideas. :?

I redid this image multiple times, and got told back to go to essentially square one with the shape, that I had been previously told was unacceptable, and now I'm getting more requests for different ways.

The fact of the matter is that I get this message loud and clear: "Give him the run around so he gets frustrated and gives up."

Yeah, you can send some other pixel monkey on a wild goose chase.
Lazy bum.
peavey
Novice
Novice
Posts: 101
Joined: 12 Feb 2008, 05:15

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by peavey » 11 Jul 2009, 22:12

Yeah I know it sucks, I was trying my shade idea and failed.
apple-high-quality-pv2.png
apple2
apple-high-quality-pv2.png (864 Bytes) Viewed 1052 times
Kr0n0s, we're all focused on whats best for the game not giving anybody a hard time. You don't have to do it, its not a job, you should work on things you ENJOY, if you don't enjoy this then just leave it and move on to something else.
User avatar
Black Don
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 660
Joined: 06 Feb 2008, 22:30

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by Black Don » 11 Jul 2009, 22:19

kr0n05931 wrote:Already 3 different ideas. :?

I redid this image multiple times, and got told back to go to essentially square one with the shape, that I had been previously told was unacceptable, and now I'm getting more requests for different ways.

The fact of the matter is that I get this message loud and clear: "Give him the run around so he gets frustrated and gives up."

Yeah, you can send some other pixel monkey on a wild goose chase.
The trick is who to listen too. Some people know what they are talking about and others are just noise to be filtered out. A good way of determining who to listen to is if they have content in the game or not.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: [WIP] New Apple

Post by kr0n05931 » 11 Jul 2009, 22:27

Black Don wrote:
kr0n05931 wrote:Already 3 different ideas. :?

I redid this image multiple times, and got told back to go to essentially square one with the shape, that I had been previously told was unacceptable, and now I'm getting more requests for different ways.

The fact of the matter is that I get this message loud and clear: "Give him the run around so he gets frustrated and gives up."

Yeah, you can send some other pixel monkey on a wild goose chase.
The trick is who to listen too. Some people know what they are talking about and others are just noise to be filtered out. A good way of determining who to listen to is if they have content in the game or not.
Jaxad on the IRC wrote: < Jaxad0127> Now it looks less like an apple.
Jaxad0127 wrote: Looking good to me.
Both were in reference to this image:

Image

Notice his attitude changed quite quickly when I quit. :x
Lazy bum.
Locked