No Game Masters on server

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
doorsman
Warrior
Warrior

Re: No Game Masters on server

Post by doorsman »

As I see.. many players will take that opportunity to keep doing what they do.. aka discrediting other players... For the decision, we need to live with it as a community, even if we don't know the motivation behind it. That's what'll do.. And let's hope all will be right with that little experiment. The power and the rules are granted to you now players.. Do your own justice. Happy TMW experience!

PS. As MK said, we dont know the motivations behind that. Would've been great to tell us before, but in any case, I hope it'll be for the best.

Regards,
Still on freenode network #manacentral. On the Web at www.manacentral.net

Patience, Integrity and Truth. A harsh Reality...

doors
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

Dyna wrote:Call me what you want Jumpy...I dont really care.

What I am seeing is that business is as usual in game...probably because from around 12pm to 5pm (pacific time of course, dunno about server time) we didnt HAVE a GM anywhere on server so right now...its like how it always was

Dy
+1 again :P
The Scarlet Rhus
Novice
Novice

Post by The Scarlet Rhus »

As for me, I don't break the rules whether there's GMs or not. I never have, I never will and I hope y'all get your power back soon. You're doing a good a job as anyone could and without anyone we'll just be overtaken by botters.

~regards,
The Scarlet Rhus

P.s

+1 everyone who've had good points.
/quit tmw
Cecil Burrow
Peon
Peon

Post by Cecil Burrow »

I think it's a great experiment. There's been a lot of talk about what -might- happen if, for instance, people spoke were allowed to speak in Foreign, and so on. So let's all take this opportunity to be good scientists and observe what actually happens. Once we know what the real (as opposed to imaginary) problems with an unpoliced community are, we can then discuss what the best mechanisms are to fix them. Let's all try to use this as a learning opportunity, aimed at improving the game.
Cecil Burrow
Peon
Peon

Post by Cecil Burrow »

For what it's worth, it does sound like the incident with Troll was no-one's fault, but just a case of bad timing and the server going down.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Delasia wrote:
Bjørn wrote:and the latest discussion about whether what a GM did was proper or not tripped me into switching off the GMs.
Well that impropriety was apparently mine......AGAIN.

So when the server crashes in the middle of a botcheck and the person doesnt come back within a reasonable time.....someone is supposed to stay until the person comes back because we cant move someone whos not online. And there is absolutely no way to know when the server crashes, because it doesnt do it very often <sarcasm>, so the possiblity could even be considered that it was a happenstance.
jaxad0127 wrote:We're going to fix the server so people can't be left in botcheck like that. And have the server note in the GM log when it starts up (so you can track restarts somewhat).
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

prsm wrote:you two have missed the point, salmondine some of us work hard to get to 99, if the server is shut down or not in the future. the fact bots can now get there too and easily, dimminishs our work.

Fern have you seen how long it takes to change things here, your complete re-write of the game is only wishful thinking ..........

and what do we do in the mean time!!!
Just for the record podling is my 5th guy over level 90....it makes no difference, only you know what your own level means to you and how you got there.
no one elses level dimminishes my sense of worth in a rpg lol......peace.
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

Crush wrote:Yes, it's true. There won't be any GMs on the server for the next days. This is a social experiment.
I do not catch something. "Experiment" implies, that there is observer(s) who is doing the research and makes clues of it (works out results). Then who's observing if there are no GM's? ;)

I personally haven't noticed anything ugly in player's behaviour, but I'm now stuck on level 2 of mines and barely see anyone (except spiders ;)). Despite it I feel a bit uncomfortable knowing, that there is no one to keep order.
★ Variety Jeer, my weblog ★ Jurgi recommends Opera 10 ★
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

doorsman wrote: PS. As MK said, we dont know the motivations behind that. Would've been great to tell us before, but in any case, I hope it'll be for the best.

Regards,
Bjørn told you what the motivation was.

Maybe it's my fault, Bjørn made the final decision. But I was not for it happening like this.

My proposal was that, if most of us agree, all of us (Ex) GMs should step back and then let the players make votes about who should be a GM. These decisions should be taken seriously by the devs who would make the final decision. I also thought it was necessary to have proper guidelines only the devs should decide about...

I need to repeat: I wanted most of us to agree with it and this is a social experiment, not what I wanted!

But maybe it really helps to find out, what GM guidelines are needed.
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Why bad idea? I was once the only GM and we did not had that amount of abuse. I did not even had to be online 24/7/365 - community informed me what is not ok and most of people were behaving.

Regards.
swimmy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by swimmy »

hmm i found a botter but we can't anything to him?
i think it means approving botter...
who was...
verdo
Peon
Peon

Post by verdo »

I really do like the GMs and hope they come back cause there are jackasses running around doing who-knows-what. And yet i do like this so that ppl will now understand why we need GMs.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

verdo wrote:I really do like the GMs and hope they come back cause there are jackasses running around doing who-knows-what. And yet i do like this so that ppl will now understand why we need GMs.
Pray tell what people are doing against the rules. I see no difference so far. Heck, even the "speak only English" rule is being followed.

You've just made a complaint against nothing and called an unidentified group of people "jackasses." So what's the point of your post? You like the GMs? No one ever said the GMs shouldn't exist. No one ever said the rules shouldn't exist. In fact, I propose more rules, both for the players and the GMs.

What I do mind is GMs who invent rules on the spot and do whatever they feel like doing. I also mind GMs walking around and provoking people. The whole point is that some people simply aren't right for the job.

I'm somewhat insulted that there are clearly people around, waiting for the whole place to explode just because there are no GMs. Do you honestly think I'll suddenly start talking Portuguese and bot on the squirrels at the same time in the middle of Hurnscald, just because there are no GMs around?

Like I said, I have yet to see anything negatively affecting my gameplay. Well, nothing more than usual anyway.

I honestly don't understand why you're all making such a fuss out of nothing.
Balthazaar
Novice
Novice

Post by Balthazaar »

melkior wrote: No one ever said the GMs shouldn't exist. No one ever said the rules shouldn't exist. In fact, I propose more rules, both for the players and the GMs.

What I do mind is GMs who invent rules on the spot and do whatever they feel like doing. I also mind GMs walking around and provoking people. The whole point is that some people simply aren't right for the job.
I whole heatedly agree I have seen too many instances lately where GM's have been getting involved in personal business or in game drama. Mainly because their friends or suckups or whatever you wanna call them are involved and then they are inventing there own guidelines and rules to help these people.

for example on wednesday a player came to me to vent about another players actions (who happens to be in the same party as this GM(seems like a conflict of interest to me to be a GM and even be in a party to begin with but that is another thread)) in a private location. When lo and behold this GM appears and warns this player not to tell anyone what has happened because they don't want it all over the game. So i ask this GM if this is really their place and they say when a complaint has been made it is. SO I sit back and listen to my friend and go on my way after cheering them up. But the point is I think some GM's are too involved in personal drama with players and some are taking sides in all this drama that I could really care less about myself. They need to remember to be like impartial judges. And IMO if someone they are close with makes a complaint they need to have another GM that is not take over. Anyways the GM finally left after harassing us for a bit and I said just go on IRC if you wanna vent to me since this GM was basically warning this person that they couldn't speak to me :lol:

There are actually quite a few instances of this going on. I once witnessed a player banned for calling someone a pig. While another player insulted my friend in the middle of hurnscald using every dirty insulting word in the book right infront of a GM. And you know what the GM did? They warped outta town and said I'm not getting involved in this. When I PMed this GM after my friend had left the game they said this person was a problem and it was better to ignore them than ban them because they would just return and cause problems again.

Now that's my two cents worth of complaining and drama now on to what we need to do.

Anyways seems like the people who put the GM's in their position are slapping them in the face by not spelling out what the rules are for certain situations that arise again and again here. And some players are pissed about it and taking it out on GM's too. Maybe rather than vote for GM's we need to vote for some new rules and guidelines so they know the best way to handle certain situations fairly and HONESTLY for all. and above all make these GM's that are walking around provoking people accountable for their actions if not being in accordance with what they were given to actually do here.

Anyways hope this doesn't go on deaf ears as i'm sure it will be derailed in two posts here as most posts are in this forum. *cues trolls*
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

+1 Balthazaar

(even about the part about me ;) )
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)