woodland tileset

All development of pixel art and graphics
User avatar
Bjørn
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1430
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Contact:

Post by Bjørn » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:20 pm

I think it looks like a very decent map. Also, probably the trees won't look so regular when only looking at part of the map.

Btw, I can't find the submerged dead body, did you forget to put that in? :-)

The wiki is up again, sorry about that. Somebody seems to know how to hack into my server and run some spam thingy as user nobody. I'm going to try upgrading stuff and installing a firewall or something.
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Post by Rotonen » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:50 pm

That's just my first impression of it.

And yes, this does get my "stamp of approval" (which doesn't really exist, I think).
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:35 am

as requested i made some more grass tiles. i got 5 now, to be exactly.

take a look at this pic. can anyone see something like a grid somewhere?
Image
User avatar
Ultim
Novice
Novice
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Ultim » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:43 am

Slightly, but don't worry about it. 50% of the players will likely not have touched a computer graphics program. Of the remaining 50%, 40% will likely either not know or not care about the "eliminating the grid" rule. Of the remaining 60%, 60% will likely not see it. So, in short, good work and go on to something else.
User avatar
Talaroc
Novice
Novice
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:23 am
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Post by Talaroc » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:42 am

Ultim wrote:Slightly, but don't worry about it. 50% of the players will likely not have touched a computer graphics program. Of the remaining 50%, 40% will likely either not know or not care about the "eliminating the grid" rule. Of the remaining 60%, 60% will likely not see it. So, in short, good work and go on to something else.
It's not only people who use graphics programs who dislike seeing the grid.

Crush: the only grid-showing bit I can see right now is the little diagonal (almost horizontal) lines that sometimes show up. Other than breaking that up, it looks like a great job of eliminating the grid.
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:21 am

Just uploaded a new version to the wiki. note that there are only 2 unused tiles left. So this is the last chance to request something.

i also started writing a guide about how to use the tileset for mapping. when i think about how confused you were with the 270? coastline bends i think that this is necessary ;) you can find it here:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/Woodland_T ... ping_Guide
(contribution and comments desired)
User avatar
ElvenProgrammer
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by ElvenProgrammer » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:15 am

Anyway it's one of the best map, we have, huge and various, I really think players will have fun on it. Good work crush :D
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:24 am

thank you. but to have fun on it the players will need something to play with. and by "something" i mean "monsters" and by "to play with" i mean "to kick the living feces out of".
xand
Peon
Peon
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:08 pm

Post by xand » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:38 pm

Another time for me and my monsterpoints :P

Should I write an eAthena monsterspawn script with monsterpoints?

Or should I add some monsters?
Crush, you created the map out of a vision I think...
If you already now what type of monsters you'd like, answer; :D
I could do the script and supply a patch for that.
Or would you like some NPCs that say something?
User avatar
Modanung
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1719
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Modanung » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Crush wrote:Just uploaded a new version to the wiki. note that there are only 2 unused tiles left. So this is the last chance to request something.
As I said before: "And ofcourse don't be afraid to add a second tile bitmap for the same tileset."

I think you misunderstood it the last time I said it, I hope you won't now I quoted you. :P
I meant that Tiled supports the use of multiple tile bitmaps in one map, so there is no restiction to one bitmap of 512x512 pixels; you can have more bitmaps for one tile-set.

Great improvement on the grass with the variation tiles. Some of them are better then the others, but as a whole they look great. :)
Ultim wrote:Slightly, but don't worry about it. 50% of the players will likely not have touched a computer graphics program. Of the remaining 50%, 40% will likely either not know or not care about the "eliminating the grid" rule. Of the remaining 60%, 60% will likely not see it.
Wow... :shock: That's like saying: "Most players don't care about graphics at all.".
Because people don't know how to make something better doesn't mean they wouldn't like it if it were better.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Post by Rotonen » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:34 pm

Now if we only had sand variation too.. :roll:
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Modanung
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1719
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Modanung » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:53 pm

...and the ability to place random tiles in Tiled. :roll:
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
User avatar
Pajarico
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 pm
Contact:

Post by Pajarico » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:08 pm

Crush wrote:Just uploaded a new version to the wiki. note that there are only 2 unused tiles left. So this is the last chance to request something.
Could you add a sign pointing to the right? :wink:
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:55 pm

@Modanung: yes, i already planed a woodland2 tileset. but:

1. it won't be useable before it is finished because i will for sure reorganize the tileset from time to time like i did with woodland 1. that will corrupt all maps which use it. so when i not include a tile in the first tileset you will have to wait one or two months until woodland 2 is finished before you can use it.
2. there are things which have a higher priority than a 2nd woodland tileset. see my thread on the job forum.
xand wrote:Crush, you created the map out of a vision I think...
If you already now what type of monsters you'd like, answer;
we talked a lot about that on the artist meetings.
Pajarico wrote:Could you add a sign pointing to the right? :wink:
1 tile left
User avatar
ElvenProgrammer
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by ElvenProgrammer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:18 am

I think a bush is necessary
Post Reply