TMW on ipod touch

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

TMW on ipod touch

Post by baseballboy »

can you play tmw on an Ipod touch?
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: TMW on ipod touch

Post by Crush »

Very unlikely.

As far as I know Apple handheld devices can only run software written in Objective-C. The Mana Client is written in C++.

And even when it would be possible: We would never pay Apple the fee to distribute our application through their app store which is the only way for users to install software on their devices. Not because we can't afford the money but because the disgusting way Apple domineers its users through its app store is against the free software philosophy.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Alright, thanks
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

actually, you can execute custom code on a jailbroken ipod, just have some "unaffiliated" coder port it over for you, keeping the officials dev out of trouble. the same applies for a psp version of tmw.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

yourmistakes wrote:actually, you can execute custom code on a jailbroken ipod, just have some "unaffiliated" coder port it over for you, keeping the officials dev out of trouble. the same applies for a psp version of tmw.
O.o
you can play tmw on psp???

JackDeth
Novice
Novice

Post by JackDeth »

Crush wrote:Very unlikely.

As far as I know Apple handheld devices can only run software written in Objective-C. The Mana Client is written in C++.

And even when it would be possible: We would never pay Apple the fee to distribute our application through their app store which is the only way for users to install software on their devices. Not because we can't afford the money but because the disgusting way Apple domineers its users through its app store is against the free software philosophy.
It's my understanding someone already found a way to do TMW on iPod Touch but you have to jailbreak your iPod, which can screw it royally if you don't know what you're doing.

However, I totally agree with our illustrious developer and I personally don't like Apple's strong arm tactics regarding apps on their devices. It reeks of monopolistic practices to me.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

you can play tmw on virtually anything with internet a screen and efficient buttons. Oh and the know how for coding the new client you will need to allow yourself all the ability of normal game play. I think some of the newer phones can support windows applications as well.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

yourmistakes wrote:actually, you can execute custom code on a jailbroken ipod, just have some "unaffiliated" coder port it over for you, keeping the officials dev out of trouble. the same applies for a psp version of tmw.
This is not an option we should consider. We might dislike Apples business tactics, but we have no right to circumvent it either. People know what they agree to when buying an Apple device.
meway wrote:I think some of the newer phones can support windows applications as well.
Interesting. Do you have a source for this?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Crush wrote:People know what they agree to when buying an Apple device.
The sad part is... this is not true... I am willing to bet that 90% of Apple users (in the US) have no clue about how Apple's biz is actually hurting them and in the long run... making them corporate dependent. I actually kinda liked the iPhone until I read about its application approval/signing process.

More reason to get a Android phone :D
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

I messed a bit with PSP TMW port, but all I've got was just some errors and crashes.
Main problem with programming for PSP is missing API documentation.
Maxxie
Peon
Peon
Location: In the Miky Way, On the Earth In the USA in FL In my home in front of my Computer

Post by Maxxie »

I want to play tmw with my NDS :lol:
I wont stop RoCkin till I retire
Anonymous!!!
Novice
Novice

Post by Anonymous!!! »

Crush wrote:As far as I know Apple handheld devices can only run software written in Objective-C. The Mana Client is written in C++.
In that case take out some +s and sure thing! :P
-Nahem - My Characters in use are:
  • Nahem Image
  • Knetrin Image
  • Nullified Image
Are you up for a CHALLENGE? Yes!
Project Hurnscald
I'm currently attempting to develop an Event Arena and I'm looking for ideas!
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i wrote:I messed a bit with PSP TMW port, but all I've got was just some errors and crashes.
Main problem with programming for PSP is missing API documentation.
might i recommend the forums over at qj.net? there are some really skilled psp and ipod devs over there, although it's more of a psp coder hangout.
Treggar
Peon
Peon

Post by Treggar »

I messed with a psp port too for a while but never came up with anything useful... might try an ipod port now that my wife got me one for christmas :) It's true that the iphone SDK uses objective-c but you can just wrap it around c or c++ code.
Treggar
Peon
Peon

Post by Treggar »

Started working on a PSP port again recently... all these library dependencies are killin me though ;) too much porting!
And since PSP statically links libraries into the binary, it's huge! (before stripped)