Hmm yes, I think you're right.
I was just thinking about a fighter, that uses a spell mid-fight
to boost himself, heal or cast a minor attack spell.
Such an easy and maybe often used spell should go along
fine with a weaker monster. As the defender is maybe very skilled
in using a shield.
But a magician.... I agree with you
That leads me to a conclusion.
As Talaroc said, it's a good thing to be interrupted by a hite on th shield.
Increases chance of spell interrupt:
- Spell takes long/is complicated (mighty)
- not completely memorized spell, spellcaster needs to think about it.
- Spellcaster is physically weak and not used holding a shield
- shield itself is hard to handle/heavy
- the Attacker is strong / knows how to interrupt a spell
So I'd suggest some skills:
1) Special memorization technique that lets the spellcaster cast a
spell fast and with few effort even if under pressure.
(depends on spell, pressure, int)
2) the contra: A spellbreakers skill. Maybe some magician hunters
class/race that spent their lives to develop anti-magician techniques.
(depends on the magician, dex/agi of attacker)
3) A special shield skill that adds dodge% to your stats,
(depends on type/weight/size of shield, attack power, dex/agi)
And of course those skills are not really useful if new.
Just a tiny litle chance. But if you get them to master/perfection
it can really influence the outcome of a battle.
What do you think about it ?