Questionary for people who want to be GMs

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Re: Questionary for people.

Post by Derpella »

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?
As a normal player, I'm giving them coloured tank tops. They are not interfering with their progress, are almost costless for me to make and make them look and feel less newbish. Besides, they will keep them and remember to be good players.
Also first things are- learning newbs to talk, to skills, showing them NPC's and Wiki.
2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?
Only assassin boots for me.
3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
-insults: Must be dealt with quickly from obvious reasons. And there is a dirty wall syndrome: when other players would see things like that are OK, that will make them be less friendly, and this is the most awesome aspect of a game.
-botting: Very evil.
-spamming: It's also demoralizing, but at least is not aggressive.
-not speaking english in public: I agree with this one. Especially when two nice players told me to perform sexual acts on them when I asked them to whisper instead of claiming town's chat.
-advertisement for other servers: Players love other servers, they see how it is to have everything. And it's not like some johny457 server would take people from ours. At least not for longer than few hours.
-scamming: Since only punishable scams are stolen accounts, this is a very serious thing and must be punished by a permaban. About other types of scam, players should be warned what may happen to them. Why last? Because permaban is permanent, so needs to worry it will escape :)

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?

Normal people don't know this, but from my experience the thought you CAN kick the rude person in every moment gives you the great peace of mind. And then, you can throw sarcastic texts, and the rude person won't come back soon even without any ban.
Last edited by Derpella on 05 Nov 2011, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Image too much.
Flenix
Peon
Peon

Re: Questionary for people who want to be GMs

Post by Flenix »

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?
  • give to him an fluffy hat, a scyth, and some red slimes' drop; in the same time I'll explain to him some useless or important thing in tmw, as who did the dimond cave, how get the short sword
2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?
  • ID: 1244 or the complete panoply of the fluffy

3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
  • I take the priority as this one

-botting
if this human is botting, and proof are here: I fluffy him !
-scamming
@ban is so helpful; if he looks delicious I'll warp him in my pit for eating him
-spamming
I think the autoban will do this work. else @ban 1h should be enough
-insults
another 12 yo who is playing tmw; is he kamo ? I don't know, but @ban 1h and I'll talk to his/her parents
-not speaking english in public
I won't ban the player but warp him elsewhere, do an abuse ban for that sort of thing is ... strange ... ban someone during a week, a month ( :shock: ) because he said "buenos tardes" is a bit rude.
-advertisement for other servers
is this illegal ?

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?
  • that only depends of what he said to me,
    • the player:"you're a female fluffy !";
      me:"it's more complexful with fluffy";
      the player:"you don't answer back";
      me:"too complexful to say; I'll make my explaination shorter ";
      me:"@ban "the player" 1h"

:lol:
I'm the best fluffy
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Crush wrote:To show the community your attitude towards this whole GM thing I would like to ask those who think that they would make good game masters to answer a few questions. I think that this will help the players to judge you more objectively during the current GM voting.

This is NOT an official request from the GHP. You don't have to fill this out to become a game master. Not posting your answers in this thread will not affect your chance to be chosen by the GHP as a game master.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

It appears that I was "trolling" a bit when I made my first post. Now for a serious note because I have changed my oppinoun on the subject.
I think showing people where the majority of the social gathering is, would help them dramatically. This will show them that the game is populated and increases the chance for not just myself but others to help a new player, gather items, sell items, quest and learn the map and some low level monsters to grind on. Showing new players these things will help increase the chance of them staying with the tmw community and eventually become a daily player, developer or wherever they may go from there.
The only way I would spawn any item is if it was a planned event between the GM and developers. I would than only give items to the players who completed there participation with the event.
I would first ask the reporting player to ignore the other. Now this question calls for different situations, If a person was reported botting I would of course immediately look into the situation because the other could be taken care of with a pm. If the arguments proceeded between players, I would warn them both. keep in mind I already asked the reporting person to ignore the other. I would warp to the situation, first invisible, If the reporting person is antagonizing I would kick them both for abusing each other. Now if the reporting person is doing what I asked and trying to avoid this person, ignoring or walking away but the abuser is stalking, I would than kick or ban, probably a max of 30m, before unbanning the abuser. This I would do at my discretion.
Not speaking english in public in my opinion is not a major issue but It would also be taken care of immediately with first a warning and than a friendly kick if continued, when I see it. Players are usually good at reminding others to speak english in public chat IMO. If the players see the need to ignore there request this is when I would step in.

When it comes to Scamming or phishing ect... I would report it to platyna and let it be, as scammers rely on other players stupidity and its not against the rules.
I would try to convince the player to agree with me, warn him that insulting others including GM's is a wrong thing to do, I would than hope they accept my argument. When that fails I don't really have to be visible. If insults are escalated I believe a friendly kick would not hurt. This will give the player time to check them-selfs. I would avoid antagonizing any situation with players as I don't see it acceptable to do at any position of the game.
To finish this off I will leave you with this
I would of course, Announce, have small spawn parties, try to take into account what every player has to say, and have fun doing what I do. Also I develop once in a while Its not a full time job, I don't get paid to do it and its not cutting into anything. I do what needs to be done when asked and don't if it exceeds my ability than I try to learn. ;) Thats that so vote me to be a GM and thanks.

Edit: I was asked what my stance was on multiboxing. Multiboxing is fun until it becomes used as an advantage than it becomes botting/cheating/abuse ect. What would I do about it, honestly I don't know. I would ask the player to stop until I spoke with the other GM and admins, to see what there stance was on it and hope they agree with me. I don't think multiboxing is ok when its an advantage and should be a ban. I would say its safe to be fair and warn the player and take note to watch them before taking any major actions.
Parn
Peon
Peon

Post by Parn »

When I meet newbies, they will usually have questions for me to answer first. The result is usually that I point them towards the first must-see people for things like selling, monster points, Tulimshar quests, etc. Sometimes they will ask for equipment, and my response varies. Sometimes they get something generous (chainmail armor, a forest bow, or maybe an infantry helmet), sometimes something small (short bow, miner gloves, fancy hat), but always I will advise them to get the scythe and short sword ASAP, and will help them collect what they need for it.

Uh, no. Unless there's some event going on that makes it allowed, I wouldn't want to give unfair advantage to other players by giving them stuff they'll just place on the ManaMarket anyway, and enriching myself would take all the fun out of the game. When I give items to newbies, that's different: I had to go hunt down that stuff myself, so I ought to be able to decide who to give it to, and I make a sacrifice when I just give it away (if they sell it, that's money I could have made if I'd kept it). But spawning items doesn't require any sacrifice. I'd only do it as part of an event, and only when permitted by the lords of the universe.

I. Scamming - This could cause actual harm to players, especially those who use their TMW password for their online banking. It should be a top priority when reported.
II. Spamming - The game world isn't the place for advertising. This degrades the whole experience overall, especially when done in areas where players like to hang out, and is very annoying. What's more, spamming is motivated by money, and so it takes advantage of players in the real world, not their characters in TMW.
III. Botting - Unfair to other players, but motivated by a desire to get ahead in the game. From my perspective, this seems to be more common than scamming and spamming, but it's also not as serious.
IV. Advertisement for other servers - Irritating, but not a terribly high priority. If someone wants to spend their day telling players how much more awesome some other server is, more power to them. But if their messages become a form of copy/paste spam, it becomes more important to address.
V. Insults - We all get insulted from time to time. When it's discriminatory, and especially when it's persistent, it should be addressed.
VI. Not speaking English in public - The least of my worries, since telling a non-English-speaking person to speak English is difficult to do, especially when all you speak is English.

Tough beans.
Bytor
Newly Registered User

Post by Bytor »

No desire from me to be a game master. Thought these responses would
be of interest to others. Take what you need, leave what you don't.

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing
the game?

Offer direction to the wiki, RFC 1855, the F1 key for help. Point
out other players whom may advise and guide them.

2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command,
who would get what from you?

Apologies, I would not accept such ability. Such actions pave the
roads of corruption and abuse.

3. You are a GM, get on-line and immediately receive reports about these
behaviors by different players about different players. Please order
them by your priority in dealing with them:

-insults

-spamming

-scamming

-botting

-not speaking English in public

You only asked for discretionary priority. There are reasons for
this order. You did not inquire about the reasons.

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you
in public. How would you react?

Suggest if they feel their disagreement has merit, they ply
it in the courthouse of the forum. I would not respond to
insults. I would leave it at the courthouse.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Crush wrote:To show the community your attitude towards this whole GM thing I would like to ask those who think that they would make good game masters to answer a few questions. I think that this will help the players to judge you more objectively during the current GM voting.

This is NOT an official request from the GHP. You don't have to fill this out to become a game master. Not posting your answers in this thread will not affect your chance to be chosen by the GHP as a game master.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

In my opinion the best way to help a new player is to guide them to what they have to do, rather then doing it for them. This allows them to enjoy the game more and get more involved in what they are accomplishing. Also make sure they understand what they must do or explain it to them.

Nobody, Items are not to be spawned and there are no favors for anyone at any circumstances.

-botting
-Insults (can switch with number 1 if it doesnt stop right away)
-Spamming (is usually the case in english or not in english)
-Not speaking english in public
-scamming

I would tell them its part of the rules and insults are not appropriate, if they wanted they can ask about it or make a complaint on the appropriate fourm. If they continue to insult the rule applys to them as well.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
OnymA
Novice
Novice

Post by OnymA »

To 1)

- ignore him/her/it
- tell him/her/it to Duck off
- tell him/her/it this game sucks, when they ask you about it
- create 5 Accounts and pretend that you and your friends think that he/she/it does not belong here and insult him/her/it
- teaching him/her/it to beg, scam, spam, swear, insult, abuse, be sneaky, brown-nose, blackmail and other useful stuff like botting with AI
- telling him/her/it who is nice and who sucks
- teach him/her/it to use proxies

To 2) Those who worship me would get, what other who don't worship me, drop through the repeated drop command
*just kidding, i never would risk to loose my GM-status :wink: *

To 3) Wtf who cares ? :roll:

To 4) Logging off and logging in as one of his/her friends :twisted:

Btw. i don't want to be a GM, i already am one 8)

Why i have become a GM ? Because i can ban people officially and can lie about it :)
You evil innocent Botters :mrgreen:
*wool producing*
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

Crush wrote:
Teach them how to talk, and anything else that I feel I should do to guide them and befriend them. Just running around in the beginning with no sense of direction, and possibly a language barrier (I appreciate the introductory messages are multilingual) is a little daunting, and if no help is given could leave one with a low perspective, limiting their chances of returning. I don't think helping out with items is essential, although sometimes is appreciated. I forgot to mention the importance of directing them to the wiki, and recommending to them that they bookmark it.
Crush wrote:2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?
Helpful items would be dropped, according to the quests available in the area where they are dropped. This should be fair for all players as far as I'm concerned. If someone is low-level when I'm doing the drop, they can still collect the items, and use them later. As for rares, if rares are to be dropped, then it should be rarely. :lol: Also, it should be dropped without anyone else knowing, and impartially, allowing the person who you don't get on with equal chances of getting it as the person who you do get on with.
Crush wrote:3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
My answer goes from 1(highest) to 6 (lowest)

-scamming (1)
-spamming (2)
-insults (3)
-botting (4)
-advertisement for other servers (5)
-not speaking english in public (6)

Crush wrote:4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?
Depending on the person's actual response, the range of how I'd deal with them would be from confirming that I recorded what was said, telling them that they are allowed to disagree with me, and also to get a second opinion from someone in a more experienced position, and warning them that their insults are grounds for being disciplined, with a request that they restrain from it. Depending on their response would determine mine also.

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

Woof
Newly Registered User

Post by Woof »

A: Possibly give them some equipment that i used when i first started that helped me. Be friendly and give them a few tips.

A: I have the ability to spawn monsters, but i agree with the normal spawning for all monsters that are in the game and where they are located. They are put their for good reasons.

-advertisement for other servers (3.5) :lol:
-botting (4) (this comes in 4th because chances are they are going to keep botting for long periods of time.)
-insults (2) (Abuse is taken very serious, no one should have to suffer through people and their bad behavior.)
-not speaking english in public (5) (They will always speak their language, if not harassing, it can wait for a bit.)
-scamming (1) (If money or the account is involved, this should be a top priority for sure.)
-spamming (3) (Very annoying yes. But not as bad as stealing accounts. Still should be dealt with in a timely manner.)
4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react? I would remind them that the game does not allow for inappropriate language and behavior, and I would highly suggest you treat others with respect. If they do no Follow the rules after that, I would say "If you continue to insult others and/or I, Further actions will be taken." And after that... suspension.

I know this post was created a while ago, i would still love to help out the community. :alt-3:
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Give them an Iten. Tell them to cherish it.

Everyone gets an Iten.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

Ignore the reports. The players are just trying to waste my time. Go back to making Itens and dropping them everywhere.

Warp the player to botcheck. Spawn 2 Luvia. Logoff.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
GozUer
Peon
Peon

Post by GozUer »

This is my point of view for a good GM!

- As a normal player and obviously being a noob, the best thing i could get from GM's is patience, comprehension, and support. How to support us (as a new player)? Maybe letting us know about the forum, showing us some guides, introducing the WIKI and how can it be useful for us, like showing us a "quest guide line". With this we will be able to know what we can do, how to do, and get fast "exp" and "items" making us stronger, like this we will have "Objectives" and thus not getting tired of the game and enjoying everything that "TMW" has to offer.

- About this, making periodical GM events is a good thing, making new "games" new "side quests", being the most original possible, to show dedication and effort for the players to have something to do when they dont have, and giving rewards is the best way to get all players "attention" and "dedication" and making them look forward moments like this. Doing this periodical events is a good way to use this GM power. (And only way, no one should be favored or helped in a "special" way, every player has the same rights, even GM's and DEV's.) Its important to make everything the most balanced as possible always.

1st: -insults (For me this is thing that bothers most players)
2nd: -scamming (Scammed people normally are "noobs" so we should aid them)
3rd: -botting (Botting should be stopped to keep the balance with every players)
4th: -advertisement for other servers (This should be stopped as soon as possible)
5rd: -not speaking English in public (This is not that serious on my point of view, some players don't know English at all, and the game UI offers different languages options for people that don't understand English right? so we shouldn't be so serious about it and just give a simple warning)
6th: -spamming (It bothers everyone yes, but the game system has a good anti-spamming control, so if its a serious "SPAMM" they will get "auto-banned" by the system.)

- I'd react pretty calm, trying to make a sense of the player, if he keeps doing that I'd try to "calm" him down somewhere empty (like the bot check room perhaps). If he persists I'd simply ban him for 60min and so on.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Text Style for better reading.
Relm
Novice
Novice

Post by Relm »

Link them to the tmw wiki mainpage if they ask for help. If they then ask a specific question I would look it up in the wiki and either link it or add it to the wiki as time allows, unless I feel lazy. If they ask for items I would warn them not to beg, and if they continue, increment punishments.

No one would get anything because I want them all to suffer in poverty! :alt-5:

-botting- This is primarily the GMs' responsibility to prevent harm of, and it is harmful.
-scamming- This is first the player's responsibility to prevent harm of, but it can be serious harm and is secondarily the GMs' responsibility to prevent repeated scamming attempts.
-spamming- This can be the player's responsibility, and harm is usually small in isolated incidents, but it can affect large numbers of people so it is better for a GM to deal with it for everyone.
-insults- This is mainly the player's responsibility to ignore people who offend them, but it can ruin someone's day and should be dealt with, especially when it is libellous.
-advertisement for other servers- This can be argued to be a good thing so we learn about a fork, but it can also be a scamming attempt and annoying.
-not speaking english in public- There can be a good argument made that this rule should be removed, but when it bothers people or conflicts with GM interactions it needs to be enforced. If I don't see it harming anyone, I wouldn't bother.

If they are reasonable, I would ask them why they disagree and discuss the issue. If they are not reasonable then it really depends on the situation - their use of expletives, tone, history, my perception of my own level of bias, who else is harmed by their speech, how busy I am, how many other GMs are present. Warnings, kicks, nuking, and possibly temporary bans in extreme cases are possible options.

I don't think that I would be a good GM because my emotional state is too fragile. I just wanted to think about these questions and share my thoughts. Cheers.
nm0i
Peon
Peon

Post by nm0i »

Tell them to look for other activity and @block

Everybody would get equivalent of 100kk GP. Because monetary systems suck.

-botting

Everybody bots. Nothing wrong with that. Banning one is unfair to others.
-insults
If somebody can not stand being called "gay midged fish" or something it's their fault, not offenders.
That rule is long gone. I'd have to ban everybody to follow it.
-scamming
Natural selection.
-spamming
If your client has no Bayes filter, whitelist, flood protection and regexp ignore it is your fault you wrote it that way.
Google tells us ads are good. We should trust google. Besides, I'm not gm on other servers, thus they are aposteriori better.

He may go to @disneyland. I got elected once and for ever, thus I hold absolute truth. This is how democracy works: people vote, I repress rebels.
$s/disneyland/block/
Darkhog
Peon
Peon

Post by Darkhog »

Give some advice on first steps and answer his/her questions.
Probably won't use it that much except as a means to give rewards in events.
-insults
-scamming
-botting
-spamming
I'd let him/her vent off. It takes much to tick me off, some insults (even ones directed at my family) won't do the trick.
Octopus
Novice
Novice

Post by Octopus »

1. I would give them some spare newbie items in my storage, then take them to Hinnak to recieve a Scythe.
2. I would not spawn items on demand, unless required to do so.
-scamming
-advertisements for other servers
-insults
-spamming
4. I react in a calm manner and give them a warning that insulting other players is not nice and if they continue it i will kick them.