Questionary for people who want to be GMs

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Darkfangex
Peon
Peon

Re: Questionary for people who want to be GMs

Post by Darkfangex »

Well hell I'm too hated to become a GM and so far the gms are doing a good job but here is what I think every gm should be

1.Best way to help a player when i'm not a gm simple , ask if he needs help , the topics that he needs help on , and give the basics of the game and what to and not to do, and if I do have the money , buy a dagger and serfs hat , that looks like pretty good newb uniform to me :p as for a mid level noob on magic , I feel obliged to help them with it because wiki never really does state how to get magic level 2 so I guess whoever asks me gets my help on magic :p

2.Ability to spawn items.. Hmmm this is easy on my part :p everyone gets the grand prize of... Nothing!!!woohoo party time congrats you got NOTHING yay! Nah lol I would spawn itens ahahha no I wouldn't ahahahahahah

3.In order from greatest down (where the hell is hacking here?!?!)
1.Botting
2.spamming
3.Insults
4.Language
5.Scamming (never seen this done before players I know purposly spend cash on stupid items for example enchilado buying 4 itens for 3k)
6.advertising other servers

4. Insults me how dare he!!! I would put on a sad face and see if he will apologize (come on apologies is what's missing from the game) if he keeps at it I will do a green smile and 5hr (idk if we can set our own times) ban

why can't gms be like this? I would especially like all to take note on no.4
!!!KEANE -EVERYBODYS CHANGING!!! my chosen song that I think fits my role in tmw :(
[Phaeton]
Peon
Peon

Post by [Phaeton] »

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?

I would show them where to get the smiley, trade and party skills. Then I would take a walk with them through the mana world, so they can get a overview of TMW. After that I would show them a few locations to train their characters and get some basic equipment. Another important point (in my oppinion) is to introduce yourself, so they have someone who can help in doubt. Perhaps we can befriend and help each other in the future.

2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?

I don't see any reason to spawn items for me or anyone else. In my oppinion the possibility to spawn items should be completely removed, it is unnecessary. All important items are in game and can be received by a quest. Moreover it is nice to have some special and rare hats in game (old quests) because it is eciting and funny to collect them.

3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
-advertisement for other servers
-botting
-insults
-not speaking english in public
-scamming
-spamming

3.1 I would check whether the alleged botter is really a botter.
3.2 Meantime, I would announce that it is a rule to speak english in public and that it is necessary to be polite to each other to have a pleasant day at the mana world.
3.3 I would whisper the insulted person to give me one more minute to stop spamming, because spamming slows the server and thus the gameplay for the TMW community.
3.4 At the same time I would whisper the advertiser to slow down his advertisement.
3.5 I would warp to the insulted person and the offender to settle the conflict between them.
3.6 Then I would talk to the scammer not to do that it te future. It will kill the fun of others gameplay and I would hope to find and arouse his conscience.
3.7 Finally I would report the botter on the forums.

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?

I would try not to take it personally, because it's a game, he do not know me in real life. Insulting game masters is the last possibility of players (they think so) to avert their punishment, that's human...

When he calms down, I would talk to him again and apologize for the punishment, but the rules are set and he did something against them, so he hasn't left me another chance. If he still no agree with my decision, I would tell him that he can always send complais about game masters to the administration team. Then I would wish him a good time in the future and much fun.

It is always important to be polite and appreciative in my oppinion, even if your interlocuter is nasty.

Yours, Phaeton
Don't jump to conclusions.
Serf
Peon
Peon

Post by Serf »

1. Give advice where needed.

2. No one, I wouldn't even spawn things for myself unless there was a good reason.

3. Botting, spamming, advert., not speaking English, insults, scamming.

4. Ignore them unless or until there is a rule broken.
Syzlack
Novice
Novice

Post by Syzlack »

Hiya

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?.

Show him where the easy quest are, also if may be on my possibilitys gave a few items to him/her to start (obiuosly I'm a GM should be doing something ALL the time) and provide online inf as well to encourage them keep coming.

2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?.

Allready have nice items....don't care.

3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players.
Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:

1-botting
2-insults
3-spamming
4-not speak eanlgish in public
5-scamming
6-Advertisment from other servers

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?.

I would be invisible most of the time , but if that comes up and after a few shhhhs....Probably bann him/her.

Greets
foxmajik
Peon
Peon

Post by foxmajik »

[quote="Crush"]To show the community your attitude towards this whole GM thing I would like to ask those who think that they would make good game masters to answer a few questions. I think that this will help the players to judge you more objectively during the current GM voting.

[b]This is NOT an official request from the GHP. You don't have to fill this out to become a game master. Not posting your answers in this thread will not affect your chance to be chosen by the GHP as a game master.[/b]

[color=#BF0000]1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?[/color]

Help with keyboard commands. Help them to get started on basic quests. Tell them where they can go to get involved with the community.

[color=#BF0000]2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?[/color]

Items created for special events.

[color=#BF0000]3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:[/color]
[color=#BF0000]-advertisement for other servers

4 -botting
3 -insults
5 -not speaking english in public
2 -scamming
1 -spamming[/color]

[color=#BF0000]4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?[/color][/quote]

Check available documentation and talk with more experienced GMs to verify I've made the right decision.

---
I am Grumpy Bear in TMW.
Armadeus
Knight
Knight

Post by Armadeus »

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?

Tell them where the important starting points are and what to do next. If you're really nice you can also accompany them to places. Depending on how nice you are, If you're a nice person you could go forth and help the player out by killing monsters and giving the player the items you receive. If you're fond with helping out players, both of you could get a friendship and some happiness out of this.

2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?

I would absolutely not give anything to anybody (Not even myself, I work for my items.) - not even for events. If a GM starts giving away items or spawning monsters they always continuously get asked to do so, eventually it gets out of hand.

3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

If I were to deal with the following I would:

1. Warp to the "botter" and check to see if he/she is really doing so.
2. Publicly announce that english is to be spoken in public areas. It's a rule.
3. Tell the botter he/she has 2 minutes to reply.
4. Ask the insulted person about what has happened and that I will deal with it when I am done dealing with the botter.
5. I would tell the one that has been scammed, that sadly, nothing can be done about scamming, it cannot be prove that anybody has scammed, but I would ask him/her about the item and ask them to explain.
6. I would ask the player who has reported the advertiser of what the advertisers name is, and then check it out.
7. I would first tell the botter that their time is up and I'm sorry that I have to punish them, I would then take a screen shot and post it on the forums and say that they can request a reset if needed.
8. I would deal with the insults if they were that severe.
9. I would tell the scammed player that I'm truly sorry for them being scammed, but I can't do anything, and that they shouldn't trust players unless they've known them for well over one year or so. You can't blindly trust a player you don't know.
10. The advertiser would be punished if he/she truly did advertise.
11. I would post about the botter, and the advertiser (those who have been banned) on the forums.

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?
I wouldn't take it personally, it is a game. But! insulting Game Masters is not something anybody should do, it's one rule you shouldn't even break.

If and WHEN the player calms down I would talk to him and tell him that I'm sorry for giving him a punishment, but if he's going to break the rules it's what I must do. I then would tell him that if he wants he can go complain to the administration team, then tell him to have fun and try not to break the rules in the future.

Regards.
Haflt
Peon
Peon

Post by Haflt »

Hello Game masters.

Whate i can say i just want to be GM.
Firstly. If i will be a GM i will walk in all map (all 6 hours or more if i can) and hut who is
1 Who ignore rulles,
2 Booting,
3 Spaming,
4 Who don't speak eanglish in publick chat,
5 insulting.

Secondary. I wont spam items unless when game master will tell and don't give items to eny-one .

Thirdly. I will help players to find monster or quests!

Fourthly. I will help with problems and give advices.

See you in game!

Haflt
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

1) Point them at the wiki, give them advice on stats and maybe a fancy hat and dagger to quicken their pace of progress so they don't lose interest killing maggots

2) I would request a Dunce Cap from the artists and commit it to tmw-ea-data. I would then give out as many Dunce Caps as possible, making sure they are not a rare item so the economy is not upset. It'd be entertaining for everyone.

3) In order of priority I would check out:
  • Scamming - as it doesn't take very long and I'd have to witness it to do anything about it. Scammed players have a lot to lose.
  • Spamming - same reasoning as scamming. And I *hate* spam.
  • Botting - Always going to happen. With my technical knowledge I'd be better than most GMs at spotting advanced bots.
  • Insults - Not a big deal unless they are going on for a while or the complaint is about a repeatedly abusive player
  • English in public - Same as insults
4) I'd probably just meow at them until they stopped :P
Failing that I would tell them the procedure for filing a formal complaint, and post my side of the story and supporting evidence on the forums, either publicly or in the GM forum, depending on the situation.
If they continue to be disruptive I would consider this abuse and give them a short ban so they have time to calm down.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Post by chaslinux »

Crush wrote:To show the community your attitude towards this whole GM thing I would like to ask those who think that they would make good game masters to answer a few questions.
Just for the record, I'm not interested in being a GM.

1. The best way to help a new player is to let them help themselves. Point them to the Wiki, and Forums. It's my opinion that it's better not to help players who've just started because they sometimes then expect others to give them things. This turns into spamming others for items. I'm more likely to help someone who is level 40ish and demonstrates that they're not going to whine about items to others. I might drop a few logs to help out someone who's close to getting their shield of forest bow, but it doesn't make sense to give a completely newbie a forest bow.

2. I wouldn't spawn items unless it was a coordinated event by the server owner. (In other words I wouldn't spawn items period on someone else's server).

3. Spamming and botting would be first since they directly affect the performance of the server.

4. Unless the player is directly affecting the performance of the server or the enjoyment of other players to play the game I wouldn't do anything. If it starts to get excessive and annoying to other players then I'd probably warn him/her a few times. If it continued I'd consult with another gm or ban for an hour.
Calmwind
Newly Registered User

Post by Calmwind »

Teach them a few things about how the attributes work and direct them toward the wiki for quests, and just talk to them in a kind way, answering any questions the best I can. :)

Nobody would get anything unless there were an approval for some sort of event that requires me to hand things out.

1. -botting
2. -spamming
3. -scamming
4. -insults
5. -advertisement for other servers
6. -not speaking english in public

Calmly try to explain why I made said decision, and disregard his insults unless they became disturbing to others, ie crude language and in general chat. That's not to say I'd tolerate endless verbal abuse but I don't carry a quick temper.
Claire
Novice
Novice

Post by Claire »

I think you should teach them a bit about the game, show them around and make them feel welcome. Then you should help them to train or get them started with the equipment they need. Ask what they want to do e.g. be a mage, archer, warrior and then explain to them how they get that.

I would use this command for events.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

1. Insults. It should not be tolerated and would be dealt with immediately.
2. Scamming. This is unnacceptable and would be dealt with.
3. Botting. I think this ruins the main purpose of the game so should be dealt with immediately.
4. Spamming. This is just annoying and would be dealt with.
5. Not speaking english in public.

I would not get angry with them as this would just add to the argument. I would explain to them that not everyone agrees with the decisions and that he/she has her/his right to that opinion. Insulting me doesn't help. If he/she continues to insult me then I would most probably ban them short-term.

Claire :)
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

direct them to join the channel #deathstar on irc [dot] mooirc [dot] net
then oper abuse them just because

obviously i'd be dropping thousand of items to ruin the economy again.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming
ignore them all and pretend to be afk while invisible. then @recallall to the terranite cave and kill everyone in re cord time as a speedmage.

kick them repeatedly and then turn them into a rock since everyone loves quality admin abuse. maybe also send them to moo to admin abuse them. in multiple places at once.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

yourmistakes wrote:1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?
direct them to join the channel #deathstar on irc [dot] mooirc [dot] net
then oper abuse them just because

obviously i'd be dropping thousand of items to ruin the economy again.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming
ignore them all and pretend to be afk while invisible. then @recallall to the terranite cave and kill everyone in re cord time as a speedmage.

kick them repeatedly and then turn them into a rock since everyone loves quality admin abuse. maybe also send them to moo to admin abuse them. in multiple places at once.
lmfao
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Tzaj Tzin
Newly Registered User

Post by Tzaj Tzin »

1.Tell them basic controls and commands(if they don't already know),if i had a spare weapon like a dagger or such(but not too great like a short sword or scythe),tell them about quests and possibly help them a little,maybe give them cotton shorts(1.not worth too much to me 2.I'd rather not see a person not wearing pants O_o)

2.No one would get items unless it was some sort of event that requires me to,also i might hold a spawn party every once in a while.

3.-botting-this is unfair to other players who play and work hard for there equipment and xp,2 minute ban warning failure to answer results in ban
-spamming-give them a warning and if they continue ban them(if the server doesn't do it automatically)
-scamming-if they are scamming in general chat ban them-if a player says they got scammed tell them to be more cautious of what they are doing
-advertisement of other servers-warning and if continued ban them
-insults-depending on severity of insults warning and if continued ban them
-non-english language in general chat-not a big issue,tell them that English is to be spoken in general chat-no banning here(some people may not know English anyway)

4.listen to them-players are a very valuable source of information in games some them make good points and deserve to be listened to,however if it is just relentless ranting just ignore them.
.../\,,/\...
.=(O_O)=
....l"""l....
....l P l....
....l E l....
....l Z l....
....l__l I haz a kitteh Pez dispenser.Do you?
blablablabla
Newly Registered User

Post by blablablabla »

MadCamel wrote:
  • Scamming - as it doesn't take very long and I'd have to witness it to do anything about it. Scammed players have a lot to lose.
I agree, if a player is scammed both him and "the mana world" lose.