Questionary for people who want to be GMs

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Questionary for people who want to be GMs

Post by Crush »

To show the community your attitude towards this whole GM thing I would like to ask those who think that they would make good game masters to answer a few questions. I think that this will help the players to judge you more objectively during the current GM voting.

This is NOT an official request from the GHP. You don't have to fill this out to become a game master. Not posting your answers in this thread will not affect your chance to be chosen by the GHP as a game master.

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?
2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?
3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
-advertisement for other servers
-botting
-insults
-not speaking english in public
-scamming
-spamming

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meeps
Novice
Novice

Re: Questionary for people who want to be GMs

Post by meeps »

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion?
Provide a bot free and spam free environment, any help beyond this is unwarranted
2. When you would have the ability to create items using a GM command, who would get what from you?
This ability should never be given to any GM (except the admin)
3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming
1.botting,2.spamming,3.advertisement for other servers (wouldn't interfere with the rest unless the insults where truly profane and unwarranted)

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?
Leave them to cry without saying anything (unless they brake a rule in which case I'll enforce it)

I do not wish to actually be a GM
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

1: Leave players alone.

2: events, refraining from even the mention of rares.

3: Insults -> spammer -> botting -> scammer -> babbler

4: Leave it to the other players to tell him/her to cool off. Abuse directed towards me would be handled like abuse toward another player. I would hope to be invisible.

if phrase == "you abuse your power":
"tell it to the admins."

else if phrase == "This game sucks":
"gather up some cash and start issuing a bounty on features, donate to the devs and to the admin, or visit the development sections of the wiki and forums to learn about ways you can contribute".

Being invisible most of the time would keep the rules from seeming like a person.
confuciousnz
Novice
Novice

Post by confuciousnz »

Crush wrote:To show the community your attitude towards this whole GM thing I would like to ask those who think that they would make good game masters to answer a few questions. I think that this will help the players to judge you more objectively during the current GM voting.

This is NOT an official request from the GHP. You don't have to fill this out to become a game master. Not posting your answers in this thread will not affect your chance to be chosen by the GHP as a game master.

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?
2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?
-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

1. Point them all to the Old Woman in Hurns, or to ask one of the friendly players sitting in Hurns who would certainly go out of their way to help.

2. I would give newbs a can of HelpingHand, and beggars would get some Banhammer. Also, experienced players can expect some "youshouldknowbetterthantodothat" cream when they step out of line.

3. Ads? - ask them kindly to place their advertisement on the forums, and try not to spam. We love alt. servers as long as you don't screw with our players. We don't like it when they come back moaning about being haxx0red by some 12year old.
Botting? - banhammer, after lurking, checking, maybe logging on with alts.
Insults? - direct them offsite to insult each other, after banning at least one of them. This would be after reminding them of the rules and telling them to read RFC 1855, which no other GM would do.
Not speaking engrish? - Port to Nivalis for the time being, ban after they go "that GM is loco, eh Manuel/Pepe/Shibuya/Rahul/*ethnic-insert*"
Scamming? - What can we really do about it if they don't have excellent, undeniable evidence that defeats any possible doubt? Warn them against the effects of Ponzi schemes, and [mostlikely] banhammer if I see it is necessary.
Spamming? - banhammer, after warnings and threats. Banhammer is 99% effective at stopping the banned user from spamming. Scientifically proven too.

4. Suggest they make a forum account [if they haven't done so already] and post a complaint using the appropriate forms. I mean make a thread and document my banhammering [what else could they be mad at me for?]

As you can see, lots of Banhammering is accounted for. Players may also be partyv& by the fbi at any time. The FBI may or may not be wearing a GM cap.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

This is more for boredom's sake than to boost my very lacking votes haha.

Point him/her to the first few quests to get them started, and provide them with someone they can come back to if they really need a question answered (providing they don't ask every step, of every quest...).

Hypothetically, if I had that... nobody would get anything save for events, and they would be the winners of said event/s, not in-game or forum friends.

-botting
-insults (only higher than spamming depending on severity, and if it is repeated)
-spamming
-scamming

Inform them that they can make a complaint in the forum if they wish, and then disregard them (unless they stand around spamming insults for a long time afterwards, which would earn them a short ban most likely.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Link , hero of time
Novice
Novice
Location: it varies from game to game , "The Legend of Zelda" but I often find myself to Hyrule

Post by Link , hero of time »

Crush wrote:To show the community your attitude towards this whole GM thing I would like to ask those who think that they would make good game masters to answer a few questions. I think that this will help the players to judge you more objectively during the current GM voting.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

if the insults were not write in public , the gms can not prove anything

in "spirit traks" I can write on the map
link the hero of time
foobo
Peon
Peon

Post by foobo »

April fools joke again? Too early, it's january now...
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3931
Red Lord
Novice
Novice

Post by Red Lord »

Heck, might as well just fill this out, seems like a good little Questionare for something of this subject.

First I would show them how to unlock smilies, trading and such things. Followed by telling them where they could train and certain equipment they could equip for training(maybe even give them some non-expensive equipment to help them out a little). I would also try my best to explain to them the locations, along with telling them a couple of quests they could do to get started.

I would only give away small rewards for events of some sort or drop-party them to everyone partaking in the event. Small rewards being healing items, colour herbs, quest items(fur, logs, ect.).

1. botting
2. advertisement for other servers
3. insults
4. not speaking english in public
5. scamming
6. spamming

As a regular player: Simply put them on my ignore list.

If I was a GM: Ask them for a good reason on why my decision was wrong and how I could improve my decision if I could.
Formerly Blacklord
Billr
Peon
Peon

Post by Billr »

Question 1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?

Reply 1. As mistergrey said it's a good idea to help new players get started.
a. Many aren't aware of the first three skills: trade, emote and party. I ask them if they have these skills and encourage them to become familiar with the game screen.
b. Engage new players in trade and emote to exercise those skills, answer their questions, 2guide them if they ask, encourage those trolling for items to do what's necessary to get it themselves.
c. Encourage them to learn how to sit, where to heal, how to use whisper (private messages).
d. Display different wardrobes and magic abilities to intrigue them.
e. Congratulate them on leveling, encourage them to complete quests - especially in starting the monster quest.
f. Many benefit from a mentor, who can guide them over the rough spots and provide an introduction to the type of helpful game play that's evidenced throughout mana world.
g. Give them the wiki address and encourage them to read it. Also the forums.

Question 2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?

Reply 2. An event that encourages game play, skill development, playing nicely with others.

Question 3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

Reply 3. If a situation actually existed where players become aware the instance I log on AND they simultaneously message me, I would think I was a victim of an ambush. It would be highly irregular. I would list reports chronologically and in a matter of importance as dictated by Platyna, the developers and game rules (RFC 1855) - whatever those are at the time of the incidents.

Question 4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react.

Reply 4. That depends. If I were Platyna, I'd ban them forever or until they make their own server, whichever comes first. If I was a dev, I would secretly paint a mustache on their face. If I was mrgrey, I would make sure they use only colorful phrases. Seriously ... I would point out that insults are unnecessary, that if they feel that their grievance is warranted, they can file a complaint in the appropriate place in the forums.
Samuel_Moosmann
Peon
Peon

Post by Samuel_Moosmann »

--deleted--
Last edited by Samuel_Moosmann on 29 Oct 2010, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

1.) I would ask the devs to change the registration point in tulimshire to hurnscald and If my suggestion got rejected would direct them toward the players of tmw if I had time.

2.) If I had the ability to spawn items I would not get anything for me because I already own all I want. Only during legit events discussed with other moderators of the game would I release any item.

3.) I am not sure what you mean but here goes. I am stuck glitch,Bott, inappropriate player name, spam, IMO the players do a fine job reminding players to speak English and if I feel like a global announcement than I will globally announce to speak English just because I could and it dose not hurt anyone to do so. Finally for the things that would not get a responds ??? called me a *** and keeps calling me an *** but wont stop although I would warp there just to be seen so it would not look like I'm ignoring the community. :roll: Its not really the gm's job. thanks for reading

4.) I would be reasonable and probably say something like a smart ass example: player says: meway you are a shity gm. Meway says: it comes with the shity job
Maxxie
Peon
Peon
Location: In the Miky Way, On the Earth In the USA in FL In my home in front of my Computer

Post by Maxxie »

:D Yes, A questionnaire! I'd like to start by thanking the GHP and Crush in particular for staring such a post. I feel that any person considered for a non profit GM job would need to take some kind of live in- game interview. Seeing as no one would nominate or vote for such a new player like myself. I'd like to complete this questionnaire for fun and prove to myself that I could be a responsible and fair Game Master. So on to the Questions :)

-What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?

I would start by finding new players to begin with. The best place to start is in the town of Tulimshar. I would wait for someone to ask for help or I might offer some if I believe the player is lost or doesn't know how basic game operations work. I would go through the F1-F12 keys first. Then I would explain why it is best to start with all Character points going into Vitality, Dexterity, and Luck or Intelligence depending on if they want to learn Magic of not right when they start(I didn't want magic when I started playing). I would then give a tour of Tulimshar and explain the importance of quest and saying Hello and Goodbye to fellow players by Name. I'd Try to Explain that the players are what make the game alive and socially entertaining. Its wonderful to play with people all around the world but to be careful with cultural differences (Dates, Slag, foods, and sarcasms). Then the Fun begins we take a trip to the Sandstorms where we would begin to put into action the things we went over. I'd answer any remaining questions. We would collect the items needed for Sandra's Quest and Vicent's Quest. From there I'd tell them its best to take breaks every hour or so. They should never play for long uninterrupted periods its bad for the health of the person. If after a small break they still want help I'd be happy to assisted them to the next town over Hurnscald. From here I'd tell them of what Quest they should be trying to complete. Such as getting their Scythe and dark green dye Quest complete. I'd tell them about Bats and where the NPCs are that you can sell and buy from. I think you get the point Its about proving information and friendship. To let them know they need to put in the game time themselves to get items and rewards.

This Question is one I always think about when Voting for A GM. I had A game side friend that Made his own server where we all got to taste what all the GM commands where like. As my small group of buddies made items left and right I stood there shirtless and appalled at the game I was playing. I didn't even want to be there after an hour of game time. The point I'm trying to make is that I feel this GM command is the one that gets players in trouble and renders the game pointless and items meaningless. If I had the ability I would simply never use it. I cant think of a reason why I'd need to use it. Others say events and drop partys, Its not a Game Masters job to proved players with items and rewards. So to answer the question, no one would get anything in ways of items. There is no need for it. Anything a player needs is in game thanks to Developers that put them there.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

Ok this question is the one that gets to what I GMs Job is really about prioritizing your duties.
So here is my order of getting things done.
1 A report on scamming can not be tolerated and must be dealt with immediately but its always hard to judge If the allegations are true. There would need to be prof and or a witness to the crime. Then again there is nothing that can be done about it anyway so its Void from the list :(
2 Botting is a scam with in itself and must be dealt with as soon a possible. I would use the 2 minute rule and proved screen shots of the alleged botter. A ban and a statement to my superiors
3 not speaking English in public is a rule and must be enforced. I would go about it with a 3 strikes rule. I would warn them 2 times to please use English in public. The second warning will be a whisper in there language if I can recognize it and google translate it. After the third warning if they continue it will result in a temporary ban from the server
4 advertisement for other servers, they will also get a 3 strikes rule.After the third warning it will result in a temporary ban from the server
5 spamming I would use the same 3 warnings system as stated above and give then a ban if auto Ban did not already
6 insults they come in last because players have control over who they can ignore and even Nuke if using 4144's patch.

I would simple not react its not professional. I would state that any problems with GMs can be reported under Court House on http://forums.themanaworld.org/ where we both can bring forth evidences and state are case

Thanks again Crush for such a proactive post on reviewing wannabe GMs :D
I wont stop RoCkin till I retire
hewhohasalongname
Peon
Peon

Post by hewhohasalongname »

well as a new player I am NOT running to the GM position however I thought it might be fun trying to answer all those hard questions.
mainly for the sake of future GMs reading it and considering the opinion made by your average player.

there is a best way and there is an effective way.
I read the above comments and was pleased with maxxie's way however the vast amount of time needed to work this way is very bad in terms of cost-profit.
I suggest a simple "Hi, welcome to TMW", and then pointing out what's really important:
A. make sure you read the F1 menu, it contains a lot of useful information
B. make sure you sign to the monster hunting quest , including showing him where it is, as this would be a real blessing when it comes to early-earned GP
C. S is for sitting, it allows you a faster recovery
D. once you feel you are tired of scorpions (I will not stay that long , but this is something that has to be told), get on a ship to Hurnscald, I will note the direction and offer a quick escort, I will explain about the scythe quest there and about pinkies(for the quest) and bats(for the GP) which I find the "natural next target" for a young scorpion hunter.
E. last but not least will be a simple link to TMW's wiki, it's a very useful source of information.
this can be done with ease at quite a minimal amount of time.
there is no valid reason for that.
if anything it would be through events , however, I believe a new GM shouldn't hold events until he has consulted with other GMs, at a far later point of time , when the new GM is already a respected part of the GM team, only then should he starting making events on his own.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

this isn't as easy as just shooting a priority formation either, scamming, for example, takes a vast amount of time to handle, it needs to be proven and usually a lot of judgment needs to be applied there, however it's also a very high priority report.
the first thing I am going to do is pm the advertiser, spammer, insulting player and not speak english guy in that order.
I will not wait for their response nor will I ban them or anything of that sort, they will each receive a message stating that they have been reported for violating the rules by *enter respective reason here* and must not continue, this will take seconds and hopefully will solve them in most cases, however none of them is considered dealt with for now.
the next pm goes to the guy who got scammed, I will simply ask him to provide a solid proof of the case, I will then confront with the scammer himself, providing that the evidence is solid enough and reasonable explanation isn't provided a ban will be placed and will only be removed if the scammer could provide an explanation, he will then be judged, the entire process is long but it can be done in parts, and thus it is as time-friendly as possible.

then it's the botter's turn, which could be done between the scam dealing stages.
I will send him a message to see if he response, warning him about the botting report and giving him a chance to remove suspicion.
he needs to be observed and isn't really that much of a problem in the short run and thus he is only handled now.
while watching his steps I shall return to the reporters of the advertising spamming insulting and speaking non-english languages players and see how things are coming along.
I will then send a second warning to anyone who did not halt their deeds.
by that time it should be pretty solid if the person is a bot or not.
if he is, it's a ban.

at that point, I'll have a check on our scamming friend, and hopefully this will progress that plot to a further stage.
then I will return to our ad/spam/insult/non-english friends, if any of them is still going, I will ban them for a single hour. and they better not be repeating it when they get back online.

disagreeing is fine, I am willing to make my stand and explain any action I am taking.
insulting isn't it serves as a bad example to the players around, such as the case with the normal insulting person, this will be dealt with via warnings, and after a while a 1 hour ban such as will be the case if he was insulting anyone else.
being a GM doesn't make you any less human and those who think they can insult whoever they wish to because this is the interwebz should and will be dealt with, we need to create a player-friendly game.

**please note that everything I said regarding insults only imply to public chat, if this is a private message thing, then a simple ignore would be enough, however if this is done in public chat this, other than being disrespectful, is also causing unwanted spam and those are both very solid reasons as for why it SHOULD be dealt with with more than a simple ignore button**

EDIT: seems I may have unlocked pandora's box, I hope this doesn't resolve in further spamming of this thread with people who don't wish to be GMs but still think they should answer this for the heck of it.
I apologize if things do indeed get worse.
Last edited by hewhohasalongname on 09 Jan 2010, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
iceslice
Warrior
Warrior

Post by iceslice »

# Talk to NPC, try F1 & wiki.themanaworld.org

# If proven that someone's account is hacked may try to help.

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

#Immediate report & I am overwhelmed, right?
Priority of an issue depends on severity & handling time. Higher severity & lower handling time issue will get higher priority. Still I may try it like this....
-botting
-scamming
-insults
-spamming

#Depends on the situation. At least I wont be hot headed. Will advice to start a GM-abuse topic in the forum.

BTW, I DONT WANT TO BE A GM.
Last edited by iceslice on 09 Jan 2010, 14:11, edited 3 times in total.
Lets Chase MDGs...

ManaPortable (Vanilla Mana + ManaPlus) -- run 'em portably

http://manaportable.1sourceplus.com
http://manamac.1sourceplus.com
Game Server >> jadu.1sourceplus.org , jadu.1sourceplus.com

Axalix
Novice
Novice

Post by Axalix »

IDC about game itself, hence to be a GM. Nevertheless, I found interesting to play right on the forum.

RTFM

Go and work!

-botting
-insults
-scamming
-spamming

1) botting
2) scamming
3) spamming
4=3) insults
infinity) not speaking english in public
infinity) advertisement for other servers

I don't care, except insulting which will result in long ban