Some thoughts about a lottery

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code.
Post Reply
User avatar
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 791
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 09:39
Location: ♥ Fluffyland ♥
Contact:

Some thoughts about a lottery

Post by Cassy »

I somehow have the feeling that this idea isn't really new.
Well, I even already saw some posts about a lottery, but nothing concrete.

I want to share my thoughts about this as I believe that a lottery can be pretty popular.
I actually just made some notes for myself (yes, I made them in english :D ), but now I want to know what you people think about it.
My notes are listed below.

Some additional words about them:
- I don't know if releasing the Bromenal equipment set is fine, I only checked that they are not reserved for future content.
- Same thing for the Staff of Life, which would need some modifications (adding M.Attack and maybe lowering DMG), also can the same attacking sprites be used from the Wooden Staff?
- Is a new bow fine? I only gave it +5 DMG more than the Wooden Bow has

If this is a welcome idea, please feel free to give any suggestions to it.
I'd like to take care about it myself then (of course I'll need help with the scripting, but I want to try also this as far as I can go).
Maybe this is interesting for Tulimshar or Trade City?


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concept
          - Creating a lottery that sells a limited number of Lottery Tickets each day
          - These tickets can be converted to prices
                    - Only buying is limited, not converting them

Lottery Tickets
          - How to make buying them limited?
                    - Preferred if possible: Create some kind of setting, allowing each character to be able to buy up to 10 tickets each day
                    - If not possible: Using Daily Points
          - Notes:
                    - The prices, that can be won, should be higher than the price for a Lottery Ticket (in average), so it's worth buying them
                    - The prices, that can be won, should be interesting for all classes (warrior, archer, mage)
                    - Shouldn’t effect market prices too much
                    - Setting a minimum level to be able to use the lottery (to avoid that newbies get too strong equipment and to avoid that people create many characters to have a higher chance to get the rare wins)
                    - When receiving a price, checking weight and quantity (e. g. 30,000 arrows)

Prices (thoughts)
          - Lottery Ticket: 100 GP
          - Usable when having level 60 or higher
          - Prices:
                    - Blank - 14.2%
                    - Lottery Ticket - 22.5%
                    - Lifestone - 22.5%
                    - Iron Potion - 15%
                    - Concentration Potion - 15%
                    - 2500 Arrows - 5%
                    - 5 Iron Powder - 5%
                    - New Bow (DMG75, Range5) - 0.05%
                    - Staff of Life - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Gloves - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Boots - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Chest - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Helmet - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Legs - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Shield - 0.05%
          - Calculating:
                    - 0.4% chance to get a rare win
                    - 250 tickets to get a rare win (average)
                    - 250 tickets /10 tickets (can be bought each day) = every 25 days a rare win (average)
                              - Note: each character! Higher chances when having more than one character
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
User avatar
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice
Posts: 189
Joined: 18 Dec 2011, 09:24

Re: Some thoughts about a lottery

Post by Kazenawa »

Cassy wrote:[...] - The prices, that can be won, should be interesting for all classes (warrior, archer, mage)
[...]             - New Bow (DMG75, Range5) - 0.05%
                    - Staff of Life - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Gloves - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Boots - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Chest - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Helmet - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Legs - 0.05%
                    - Bromenal Shield - 0.05%
I personally think it might be a good idea. An average of 25 days to get a rare item seems reasonable : maybe frustrating a bit some players, but if the items are obtainable only this way (and it should be), it is worth keeping effort.

However, don't get me wrong, but as it is it is currently way more interesting for warriors, since 6 of the 8 "interesting" items are designed for warriors.
Non-healer archers could be interested to, but the poor mage or archer-healer... :lol:

What about really rare items ? It's lottery after all, there should be crazy stuff, with a probability of 0.001% for example ?
User avatar
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 791
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 09:39
Location: ♥ Fluffyland ♥
Contact:

Re: Some thoughts about a lottery

Post by Cassy »

Kazenawa wrote:However, don't get me wrong, but as it is it is currently way more interesting for warriors, since 6 of the 8 "interesting" items are designed for warriors.
Non-healer archers could be interested to, but the poor mage or archer-healer... :lol:
I don't get you wrong since you bring good critism and ideas ;)
Yes, I see your point.
But we can forget about it anyway since the Bromenal set is reserved for another project ^^

We were talking about this topic on IRC yesterday.
The prices shouldn't be too powerful, but though interesting, which means a lot of thinking about balancing them.
A solution for this is to add rare hats.

I don't know yet about the Staff of Life and the new bow I suggested.

I'll think of more prices as well.

Kazenawa wrote:What about really rare items ? It's lottery after all, there should be crazy stuff, with a probability of 0.001% for example ?
I'll think of something :D
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
User avatar
WildX
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Posts: 1838
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 14:13
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Some thoughts about a lottery

Post by WildX »

I like the idea, but it's basically a mini-game, I don't think a mini-game should provide gameplay-relevant items. Maybe the prizes should only be vanity items? It shouldn't be that hard to find prizes with all the no-relevant-stats hats we have.
User avatar
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 791
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 09:39
Location: ♥ Fluffyland ♥
Contact:

Re: Some thoughts about a lottery

Post by Cassy »

.:WildX:. wrote:We really need a new bow, but I don't think the lottery should provide things that are that important to gameplay. A small quest would be better suited for the bow. Especially considering that the bow is really needed at the moment and making it available only to the players that want to play the lottery AND with such a small chance of getting it seems a bit counterproductive.
Source: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 83#p135983

I reply here because the other thread is about the graphic itself and my reply is about the lottery.

We want to offer good prices for all classes: Warriors, mages and archers.
But not IMBA prices, so I think, that +1 in LUK (or maybe a bit more like ChefChelios suggested) should be fine.
A new bow that is a bit better than this one, but of course worse than the Banshee Bow, for higher levels, sounds good to me.

The lottery needs good prices, otherwise it is not worth creating it.
Therefore equipment is a good thing, if it is worth getting it (worse than Forest Bow = not worth it).

There will also be fun hats by the way :wink:
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
User avatar
WildX
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Posts: 1838
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 14:13
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Some thoughts about a lottery

Post by WildX »

Cassy wrote:
.:WildX:. wrote:We really need a new bow, but I don't think the lottery should provide things that are that important to gameplay. A small quest would be better suited for the bow. Especially considering that the bow is really needed at the moment and making it available only to the players that want to play the lottery AND with such a small chance of getting it seems a bit counterproductive.
Source: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 83#p135983

I reply here because the other thread is about the graphic itself and my reply is about the lottery.

We want to offer good prices for all classes: Warriors, mages and archers.
But not IMBA prices, so I think, that +1 in LUK (or maybe a bit more like ChefChelios suggested) should be fine.
A new bow that is a bit better than this one, but of course worse than the Banshee Bow, for higher levels, sounds good to me.

The lottery needs good prices, otherwise it is not worth creating it.
Therefore equipment is a good thing, if it is worth getting it (worse than Forest Bow = not worth it).

There will also be fun hats by the way :wink:
Vanity items are very good prices, they are good for any class and people would kill (okay maybe not kill :P ) for a top hat or eye patch as prize. And about the bow, I think it would be better to make it much better than the forest bow (which should be a level 40 bow anyway) and given as a quest reward around level 60, since we don't have a good bow for that level range.
Post Reply