Spell idea

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Spell idea

Post by GARRETTtheGREAT »

I had a quick idea for a new spell.

I'm not sure what the invocation should be, but the result would be something that has a very low chance of instantly killing the target. If the spell does not cause instant-death, it would do 1 damage. I think the cooldown time should be low so the spell can be cast extremely frequently, but only have perhaps a 1 time per 2 hours chance of instant-death if cast constantly after the cooldown (ie, cooldown is 1 second, so it would have a .013% chance of instant death, which is once in two hours if cast every 1 second).

This would add a new strategy for boss fights; instead of using a traditional RPG healer/tank/DPS group for attacking bosses, a group of entirely mages could be used to heal each other and to cast the insta-death spell to try and kill the boss in one hit (4 casters could statistically insta-kill Valia in about a half hour with the given example). It could add an interesting element to PVP where a low level player could insta-kill a level 99 with a bit of luck.

Implementation should be pretty easy; there would be a random roll where one result deals one damage, and the other result either kills the target, or deals such a large amount of damage that any target would die (probably some sort of max value for the storage type of the damage number).

Thoughts?
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: Spell idea

Post by WildX »

Only if the quest(line) to obtain the spell is extremely hard and secret, so that not all mages will easily have the spell. Maybe even certain stats and equipment requirements to cast the spell. Or, why not, a chance for the spell to backfire and instantly kill the caster.

WARNING: Do not mix the suggestions above together as it may cause collateral effects such as: total inability to obtain the spell, stress, death.

TMW Team member

GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

.:WildX:. wrote:Only if the quest(line) to obtain the spell is extremely hard and secret, so that not all mages will easily have the spell. Maybe even certain stats and equipment requirements to cast the spell. Or, why not, a chance for the spell to backfire and instantly kill the caster.

WARNING: Do not mix the suggestions above together as it may cause collateral effects such as: total inability to obtain the spell, stress, death.
I agree it should be fairly difficult to obtain. Instead of stat and equipment requirements, I think we could do a more natural sort of limit, such as a minimum magic attack where the caster would need a strong combination of stats and equipment, but leave the player free to decide how to meet the limit.

I hadn't considered side effects to the caster. I think killing the caster might be fun, but I wonder if we could heal the target instead (negative damage?) :twisted:

I also forgot about items consumed by the spell. Even if the items were extremely cheap (acorn, maggot slime, etc.) you'd statistically need 7200 to have one effective cast. Again, I don't know if it's technically possible, but maybe one rather expensive item could be consumed both randomly (ie, 1% chance to consume the item and not insta-kill) and on a successful cast.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

GARRETTtheGREAT wrote:I also forgot about items consumed by the spell. Even if the items were extremely cheap (acorn, maggot slime, etc.) you'd statistically need 7200 to have one effective cast. Again, I don't know if it's technically possible, but maybe one rather expensive item could be consumed both randomly (ie, 1% chance to consume the item and not insta-kill) and on a successful cast.
An expensive catalyst that gets consumed if the spell backfires would be doable.
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Jaxad0127 wrote:An expensive catalyst that gets consumed if the spell backfires would be doable.
Excellent.

Any ideas for an invocation, quest, etc?
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Jaxad0127 wrote:An expensive catalyst that gets consumed if the spell backfires would be doable.
when scripting this be aware that the command CATALYST doesn't work in the spell language. you have to use a workaround.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

tux9th wrote:
when scripting this be aware that the command CATALYST doesn't work in the spell language. you have to use a workaround.
Er, it should work just fine.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

last time I tried it didn't and all the scripts using a catalyst use a workaround.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

The dark petal item that allowed players to warp to Easter Island is such a catalyst, and seemed to function fine for the most part.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

mistergrey wrote:The dark petal item that allowed players to warp to Easter Island is such a catalyst, and seemed to function fine for the most part.
And I indeed encountered the problem with CATALYST when writing that. Fortunately, it's possible to write a completely equivalent clause using REQUIRE, as in (REQUIRE count_item(caster, "DarkPetal")). I am not sure whether the actual CATALYST construct is still problematic.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated