Page 4 of 6

Re: port city

Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 08:59
by i
Somehow the bottom part of hull is finished. I added texture on metal parts and shaded outlines. I'm considering adding some round underwater windows, just below sea level.
2009-10-06-Boat.png
2009-10-06-Boat.png (90.89 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Any constructive criticism on that part of work will be appreciated.

And Matt, yeah I know that middle part still sucks ;P

Re: port city

Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 09:57
by Bertram
Hi i,

I just can see that the boat borders aren't anti-aliased. But I'm sure you're aware of it already.

Regards.

Re: port city

Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 10:25
by Len
you should name the boat Jenny and see how many people get the reference
(I would criticize the boat but I cant see anything wrong with it, other than being unfinished)
Edit: I think the glass on the windows could use a more convincing texture (it reads more like bumps than glare)

Re: port city

Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 17:06
by hkurn
looks great! :)
one thing maybe: the red color of the lower hull is a little too saturated for my taste.. or is it like this to be recolorable? (however, I don't know what I'm talking about here.. Idk how recoloring works yet).

Re: port city

Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 19:40
by Rotonen
Len wrote:you should name the boat Jenny and see how many people get the reference
(I would criticize the boat but I cant see anything wrong with it, other than being unfinished)
Edit: I think the glass on the windows could use a more convincing texture (it reads more like bumps than glare)
This mentioned, we would need a guideline and some consistency in how we actually portray glass in pixel form.

Re: port city

Posted: 07 Oct 2009, 14:02
by i
The bottom part of hull is DONEâ„¢. I added AA on that part. I'm posting version without background for testing purposes. So if anyone care to test, go ahead.
2009-10-07-Boat-transparent-AA.png
2009-10-07-Boat-transparent-AA.png (95.44 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Same one just pased on different background:
Image

Re: port city

Posted: 08 Oct 2009, 15:15
by AxlTrozz
Finished or not, is a high quality job
Now, my suggestions are just 3 small details (lack of texture), all of them are very hard to fix because you only have 2 pixels max to show a texture which is not easy to achieve : a,b,c

Re: port city

Posted: 08 Oct 2009, 17:28
by Ceros
AxlTrozz wrote:Finished or not, is a high quality job
Now, my suggestions are just 3 small details (lack of texture), all of them are very hard to fix because you only have 2 pixels max to show a texture which is not easy to achieve : a,b,c

Is this what you mean (referring to section B)

Re: port city

Posted: 09 Oct 2009, 08:54
by ElvenProgrammer
Gema II?

Re: port city

Posted: 09 Oct 2009, 08:58
by i
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Gema II?
Yes. Since it's just a tileset it may have various names on different tiles. And now let me explain why "Gema II".

Gema it's my wifes nickname ;D Yeaaa it's all about girls.
Oh! Did I forget to mention that I got married (4th Jully 2009)?

Re: port city

Posted: 09 Oct 2009, 09:52
by ElvenProgrammer
i wrote:And now let me explain why "Gema II".

Gema it's my wifes nickname ;D Yeaaa it's all about girls.
So why "the second"? :P
i wrote:Oh! Did I forget to mention that I got married (4th Jully 2009)?
Well at least I didn't know. So how do you say? Congrats? Or good luck?

Re: port city

Posted: 09 Oct 2009, 10:11
by i
ElvenProgrammer wrote: So why "the second"? :P
Because "Gema The First" is in my bed now ;)
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Well at least I didn't know. So how do you say? Congrats? Or good luck?
Both ;) But it was a good choice ;D

My wife made a reconnaissance and came up with those:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... glowce.jpg
Kogga is the best choice. One mast. Should be easy to design and pixelate.
Kogga.png
Kogga.png (55.5 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
EDIT:
I made a mock-up. So it's possible. It's just a few fast lines. Not exactly even drawing prototype.
2009-10-09-Koga-Mockup.png
2009-10-09-Koga-Mockup.png (160.65 KiB) Viewed 3408 times

Re: port city

Posted: 09 Oct 2009, 16:45
by Matt
Everyone marries and nobody tells me :/

Re: [WIP] Port City

Posted: 11 Oct 2009, 17:01
by i
It's my first attempt to draw mast. I added some test lines to show how they might be done.
2009-10-11-Kogga.png
2009-10-11-Kogga.png (142.9 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

Re: [WIP] Port City

Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:49
by AxlTrozz
I made a try for the mast, I'm not sure if the horizontal part needs to be pixelated but here is :
2009-10-11-Kogga.png
2009-10-11-Kogga.png (145.01 KiB) Viewed 3202 times