[FND] Artis indoor

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

[FND] Artis indoor

Post by Reid »

I restarted to work on my old tileset from the Alpha release.
Yet, what can be considered as done are 2 of the 3 ground texture (the wood one was done by Lien and IvanMorve).
Artis_indoor.png
Artis_indoor.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
Edit : Current advancement at 5am :
Walls (top wood, bottom wood, wall itself), window, door can now also be considered as done. I'm currently working on the curtains.
Artis_indoor.png
Artis_indoor.png (39.2 KiB) Viewed 6875 times
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: [WIP] Artis indoor

Post by Reid »

Yay! Evol gameplay can now equal Zelda's one, we can have our jar houses as well!
Attachments
testmap.png
testmap.png (45.76 KiB) Viewed 6875 times
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Im not sure about the wood between the floor and the wall. especially near the door it looks like the wood is lying on the floor instead of being part of the wall. Other than that, I like it very much :D
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Hey Reid, awesome work, I love it! Though, one thing I think doesn't work in this indoor tileset is the windows. You cannot have the windows look the same indoors and outdoors. I'm talking here about the little "step" in front of the window. It should be done outside, but not inside. In other words, the indoor windows must be in the continuity of the wall.

--Alige
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I didn't forgot you fools, I tried to keep in mind what you both said and I started to work on stairs. (This one is from the alpha release, it won't be used as is)
Attachments
Indoor.png
Indoor.png (58.13 KiB) Viewed 6850 times
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Nice work Reid!
I like the new floor, however, it isn't flat enough. I looks in fact a bit out of place because the colors it has makes it look too much in 3 dimensions... maybe lower the contrast?
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

The door looks much better now. The new wall tiles will make the houses interesting too. I think the lower beam should continue, and not behind the small vertical beams.

About the new floor I agree with Alige. It looks great, but there is too much depth.

I'm not fond of the innercorners with the beams though. In my opinion without the beams the innercorners looks better. Though I think that is more a mapping thing, than a tileset thing :P Just like there is a wooden floor behind the door instead of grass.

Since the houses have diagonal walls outside, are you also going to draw diagonal walls inside?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

EJlol wrote:The door looks much better now. The new wall tiles will make the houses interesting too. I think the lower beam should continue, and not behind the small vertical beams.

I'm not fond of the innercorners with the beams though. In my opinion without the beams the innercorners looks better. Though I think that is more a mapping thing, than a tileset thing :P Just like there is a wooden floor behind the door instead of grass.
Could you show me on the preview? I don't see what you mean. alt25
Yes for the window/grass and door/ground that was a test that I forgot to remove. :P
Since the houses have diagonal walls outside, are you also going to draw diagonal walls inside?
Good question, should I?
I won't work on diagonal fringe tiles, so there will just be the wall and probably the window which will be in diagonal.

About the new floor, it was intended to have some depth, I wanted it to look like Lunar's tileset (sadly I lost the preview...), is it really wrong? Because that's somehow hard to remove this effect. :)
The effect was intended to show some floor bricks, some kind of indoor pavement.
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Evol looks so good. I'll never get tired of saying this.
I like the indoor stairs, it makes the place more interesting.

TMW Team member

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Reid wrote:About the new floor, it was intended to have some depth, I wanted it to look like Lunar's tileset (sadly I lost the preview...), is it really wrong? Because that's somehow hard to remove this effect. :)
The effect was intended to show some floor bricks, some kind of indoor pavement.
I do think it needs to be fixed, look at where it stops near the wall, or where the pots are. It looks like the pots are flying above the floor.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Really quick edit, as I should be working instead of doing pixelart :P
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I used to map indoors this way, but now that I think about, that's really bad. I'll commit something about it tonight, on the meanwhile, I'm about to be done with this tileset! ^-^
I just need to work on some fringe elements, do you think about something else to work on for that tileset?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (57.42 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
Artis_indoor.png
Artis_indoor.png (51.05 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
-- Ford Prefect
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Why have the vertical stairs have railing, but the horizontal ones don't have?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

The tileset looks good to me! The only thing left I don't like is the transition between the floor and stairs, especially with the wooden floor.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Alige wrote:The tileset looks good to me! The only thing left I don't like is the transition between the floor and stairs, especially with the wooden floor.
That's bugging me too, but I don't know how to fix it, an idea? A workaround would be to place a rug everytime that we use a stair...
EJlol wrote:Why have the vertical stairs have railing, but the horizontal ones don't have?
Vertical stairs lead you to another map's level and horizontal ones just make you go down of less than a tile, I tried to make it clean so that it doesn't overload player's eyes.
-- Ford Prefect