GM Silent Dawn: attitude to players and rules

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: GM Silent Dawn: attitude to players and rules

Post by Hello=) »

Platyna wrote:Actually why you took over the server was well explained in numerous other threads (power crave).
Such care about power crave seems to be rather interesting thing, granted you've been the only entity in GM logs who dared to create expensive items for self instead of completing appropriate quest in fair ways. Getting banshee bow for free? Without doing quest? Even worst TMW botters are just a bunch of pathetic losers compared to such a blatant cheating.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

t3st3r wrote:
Platyna wrote:Actually why you took over the server was well explained in numerous other threads (power crave).
Such care about power crave seems to be rather interesting thing, granted you've been the only entity in GM logs who dared to create expensive items for self instead of completing appropriate quest in fair ways. Getting banshee bow for free? Without doing quest? Even worst TMW botters are just a bunch of pathetic losers compared to such a blatant cheating.
She mostly did that for her trivia events AFAIK. The items were meant as prizes for other players... mostly players with a scientific subject degree :lol:

TMW Team member

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

.:WildX:. wrote:
t3st3r wrote:Such care about power crave seems to be rather interesting thing, granted you've been the only entity in GM logs who dared to create expensive items for self instead of completing appropriate quest in fair ways. Getting banshee bow for free? Without doing quest? Even worst TMW botters are just a bunch of pathetic losers compared to such a blatant cheating.
She mostly did that for her trivia events AFAIK. The items were meant as prizes for other players... mostly players with a scientific subject degree :lol:
"Mostly", while true, is completely meaningless, it's the non-mostly that's relevant here.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

o11c wrote:"Mostly", while true, is completely meaningless, it's the non-mostly that's relevant here.
Afaik you weren't here at the time that she was active, that will be difficult for you to troll on that.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

o11c wrote:
.:WildX:. wrote: She mostly did that for her trivia events AFAIK. The items were meant as prizes for other players... mostly players with a scientific subject degree :lol:
"Mostly", while true, is completely meaningless, it's the non-mostly that's relevant here.
The "mostly" was meant to exclude her usual outfit of crown and "Platyna red" dress, which she probably spawned with @commands and kept for herself, but I don't see how that's unfair to players as she didn't really use her account to play the game. I bet Manamarket's clothes were spawned too (not trying to suggest that Platyna is a bot :lol: ).

I only know of a single incident allegedly including a bit too much vodka and some global broadcast spam, but apart from that, AFAIK, Platyna only ever used @commands for administration or entertainment purposes. She may have been difficult to work with, but I'm sure we can all agree she's more of a "lawful evil" type, not the kind to drunkenly abuse her powers every Friday night.

TMW Team member

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Now I *know* that WildX was never around under Platyna.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

.:WildX:. wrote:She mostly did that for her trivia events AFAIK.
Even if it's a case (in which case I should admit I overestimated abuse level), current GM team usually prefers to obtain rewards for events by other means, which are not looking like blatant cheats. Also, other people usally bother self to actually document their administrative actions in logs. If someone does not cares to do it ... okay, they will get what it deserves: poor reputation.
Last edited by o11c on 15 Feb 2014, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quoting issue
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:Now I *know* that WildX was never around under Platyna.
Apparently you were not in game during those events too. I can certify that WildX was around at that time.

Players are usually fast to complain when developer-team-gm-leader-and-other-players abuse. I dont think that you can find a lot of complaints related to some Platyna's privileges abuse (I mean in game) in this forum, before the move flame war occured. There were a few exceptions though: The event quoted by WildX, when Platyna got a scolarship for her work, and in 2011, when she had to get unique items back, on developers request.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Nard wrote:Players are usually fast to complain when developer-team-gm-leader-and-other-players abuse. I dont think that you can find a lot of complaints related to some Platyna's privileges abuse (I mean in game) in this forum, before the move flame war occured.
There were, but when Platyna was active, she would delete or hide any forum thread that painted her in a bad light. After a while people stopped trying.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Maybe we should clarify what is considered command abuse. Many people simply accepted that Platyna could do anything she felt like doing as it was never really annoying to most of us, in that she was fair IMO. I don't want to be the one that's always defending Platyna, it gives the impression that my opinions are based on some kind of loyalty or whatever, but everything I say is based on what I experienced under Platyna, and the experience was not bad.
That's just wrong. Ask anyone.

TMW Team member

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

.:WildX:. wrote:
That's just wrong. Ask anyone.
My point was, when I first started playing, I *quickly* identified Platyna as "the admin who often shows up drunk and occasionally does a trivia". I was oblivious of the power circles in the admin/dev/gm side, to me she was just another admin ... but a drunk one.
.:WildX:. wrote:but everything I say is based on what I experienced under Platyna, and the experience was not bad.
Other than her permissive stance toward botting, which was admittedly indirect, I do agree, from a player's perspective. Drunken broadcasts are not that bad in the grand scheme of things.
When I was around, Platyna was always very careful to cultivate the love of the playerbase - giving out items that would be hard to earn or even unreleased, warping to maps that were not yet released and had debug mode NPCs still active, etc. I'm not saying events should never give out items, just that that is the kind of thing that makes the playerbase like someone. The warp to unreleased maps incident forced a lot of sudden changes to the development workflow.

The reason we left Platyna was not about how she treated players, but because she made lives miserable for GMs and Developers.

If there is not a healthy population of GMs and Developers, the game will not be healthy either. Of *course* it is *possible* to replace all the GMs and developers, but that just means there's another set of people making mistakes that the previous team already learned, and a *lot* of lost content.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote: There were, but when Platyna was active, she would delete or hide any forum thread that painted her in a bad light. After a while people stopped trying.
It is just false as every one can still verify it on this forum; which she created by the way.

Many things can be reproached to Platyna, but not the ones you are saying now. Angriness fools your memory.

edit:
If there is not a healthy population of GMs and Developers, the game will not be healthy either. Of *course* it is *possible* to replace all the GMs and developers, but that just means there's another set of people making mistakes that the previous team already learned, and a *lot* of lost content.

Probably it is better to replace the players as you suggest it here: viewtopic.php?p=141235#p141235
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Silent Dawn
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Silent Dawn »

*wonders where talking about Platyna and her past decisions are on topic of this thread* :roll:
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

*agrees loudly with Silent dawn* :lol:
↖upper left corner wrote:GM Silent Dawn: attitude to players and rules
Moderator: Game Master
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Platyna threads should get their own section at some point. :lol:

But seriously, the main topic of the thread died peacefully of irrelevance surrounded by its loving family.

TMW Team member