max players ever online?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
REPTILE
Newly Registered User

max players ever online?

Post by REPTILE »

Hello all
Im curious ,what is the max number of players you have ever seen online. Also does anyone know what how fast the internet connection for the server is? Im curious about how many people can battle on a map without crashing the server? Have any test for this been done? Can anyone point me in the direction of info? Thanks for reading :)
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: max players ever online?

Post by Reid »

REPTILE wrote:Hello all
Im curious ,what is the max number of players you have ever seen online. Also does anyone know what how fast the internet connection for the server is? Im curious about how many people can battle on a map without crashing the server? Have any test for this been done? Can anyone point me in the direction of info? Thanks for reading :)
Max player that I saw online was 160 or something like this. Maybe more but there used to be multiboxing at this time.
I don't think that having many players on the same map would crash the server, it will just lag on most player's screen though.
This project is doing a server software transition, but I believe that both server (software) could handle thousands of players without any trouble.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

Yup, even a VPS with low specs would likely be able to handle thousands of connections. You could more or less simulate it by spawning thousands of mobs with the @spawn command. I think last time I tried on the test server I could do 16k mobs just fine. The number of players that you can handle is very much limited by the specs of the server and the available bandwidth. If you ever reach 500+ players (which I doubt) you could split your game across multiple map servers for load balancing.

Here's some good entry-level virtual private servers if you're looking for one:
OVH - 2.4Ghz, 1 vcore, 2GB RAM, 10GB SSD, 100 Mbps unlimited traffic ($4.49 per month)
4 vcore, 1GB RAM, 75GB SSD, 3000GB of traffic ($10 per month)
Low End Box

see also http://herc.ws/wiki/System_Requirements
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I remember seeing 200+ around 2010

TMW Team member

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Matt used to have some statistics about this around the time that TMW was popular.

Now I can only find: http://updates.themanaworld.org/updates/versions/
Notice that this only shows the clients connecting and not disconnecting, and therefore it is not possible to see how many clients there are online during the same time.
REPTILE
Newly Registered User

Post by REPTILE »

Sounds good im impressed. Ty for the info everyone :D
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I should have a dump around somewhere, so I could check later (maybe this will take less than 6 years)