dev stuff

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
REPTILE
Newly Registered User

dev stuff

Post by REPTILE »

Hi all
Ive been using eclipse to make a game similar to tmw and i resently found out they have no plans to bring the game engine to mobile platforms even though google will tell you otherwise

I know this project is open source and im curious if it would be somewhat easy for me to download this engine and host my own game from my pc.

This is just a project and mostly used to show people the concepts im working on and it would be super cool if i could host the server from my pc and let them login from a phone by downloading the client i send via email so they can see new the new things im working on.

The plan is to eventualy upgrade the consept to unity3d and make a 3d online game with the final concept.

Could anyone tell me if this is possible and maybe point me in the direction of getting started.
Things i need to know
What should i download?
Does the engine have a dev suit?
Such as map editor and quest editor anything like that?

Any info would help alot thanks
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: dev stuff

Post by gumi »

What is currently running on the TMW main game server is tmwAthena, using game data from tmwa-server-data.
On the client side, we use the ManaPlus client as our official client, with data from tmwa-client-data (served through an HTTP update server).

We are currently in the process of migrating away from tmwAthena to use the Hercules game engine, along with the Evol plugin (provides ManaPlus support).

If you are setting up a new project, please use Hercules instead of tmwAthena, which is now abandonware. Hercules (what you will be running on your server) can be installed on linux, mac, and windows. The ManaPlus client (what your players will install) can run on linux, mac, windows, chromebook, chromebase, and android. At the moment, there is no iOS build of the ManaPlus client

We use Tiled as our map editor

If you have questions or need help, please join #evol-dev on Freenode.
If you do not have an IRC client, click this link: https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#evol-dev
REPTILE
Newly Registered User

Post by REPTILE »

Thank you very much. And what a great and informative answer I might add :)
REPTILE
Newly Registered User

Post by REPTILE »

So ive been going over this stuff alot and i cant figure out how im supposed to get what files i need.

Ive been working with eclipse engine and its fairly simple. You just download the client-server along with librarys and open the folders and click run on server then client. I know this isnt a cooockie cutter engine like that but i need help bad so if anyone cant tell me exactly how i get the files to compile into an exe or install file that would be great. Do i need to download a program to compile the code? Im a total newbie at this. Does anyone have a pre compiled file of the engine?
amaranth
Peon
Peon

Post by amaranth »

If you want to keep using eclipse as your IDE, you first need C/C++ Dev Tools. You can then build within eclipse, provided you got the required utilities.
REPTILE
Newly Registered User

Post by REPTILE »

I dont mind switching over. tmw has alot more features and i use eclipse origins mmorpg maker. I just need to know the first step in compiling the server and client install files... It says "copy the code" but it dosnt say where to paste it. Im doubting i paste it in notepad lol do i need to download a program that compiles the code? This is frustrating :(
REPTILE
Newly Registered User

my project

Post by REPTILE »

Someone told me that this game engine cannot be used for another game other than tmw. Is that true? I was under the impression that it was open source and free to you in any way you want to you use? In short is it ok to use the engine (server-client) for my own game?
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: my project

Post by WildX »

Just a clarification: are you referring to the Manasource project or to The Mana World? This section is for a fork that develops a separate engine and client from TMW/Evol running on Hercules.

TMW Team member

REPTILE
Newly Registered User

Post by REPTILE »

Im wanting to use a copy of the client - server for a seperate project unrelated to the mana world game. Non of the art maps quests items gui in tmw game will be used. Im in need of an opensource game engine. Im trying to use the engine to build my project if that is possible.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I understand, but what I am asking is which game engine are you referring to exactly? Which client? If the answer is Hercules and Manaplus then this is the wrong section.

TMW Team member

REPTILE
Newly Registered User

Post by REPTILE »

I would like to use manaplus for the client or maybe use manaplus support because it works for android. The server solfware dosnt matter as much and i say this because the player base wont go over 20. So older server software will work. Im wanting to host my server from a tower computer with 8 gigs of ram running windows xp pro. And play the game-demo on my android phone or laptop
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

I think this is wrong forum section. Because not tmw and not manaplus related to manasource.

But yes you can use manapluas as client and for server tmwa or hercules and create own game. But you must follow licenses. Client is GPL v2. server code is GPL v3, and art/map/quests/etc is GPL v2 or CC-BY-SA or both.

If you will use manaplus, will possible add your server to servers list. And this will allow to other people to find it too.

But for running server on windows can be issue. tmwa you cant you on windows at all. hercules you can build on windows without plugin, and for plugin need custom project files. Simpler for you will be install virtual machine (for example virtualbox) with linux. And host server on it.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

[Merging this thread with the previous one of a similar nature so as to move it out of the Manasource section. This is just forum administration, feel free to continue the conversation. :alt-3: ]

TMW Team member