Paint.net 4.0 Alpha build 5086 released!

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Paint.net 4.0 Alpha build 5086 released!

Post by EJlol »

Cause not everyone likes GIMP, there is also Paint.net. You can get the newest version here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/t ... available/

To see the major changes between v3.5 and v4.0, see here: (I love changelogs alt18 )

http://blog.getpaint.net/2013/10/13/pai ... available/

Have fun!
Elvano
Peon
Peon

Re: Paint.net 4.0 Alpha build 5086 released!

Post by Elvano »

I don't see how one cannot like GIMP in the first place, but other than that you forgot to mention a couple of things that might be an obstruction to some people:
  • It runs on the .net framework (hence the paint.net I guess) and thus only runs on windows,
  • As far I can see it's propierty software,
  • and being still in it's alpha stages plugins and community support might still be scarse.
Personaly I'd give it a try myself if it wasn't for the first obstacle. But I haven't been on windows in months and if I were to be, it'd be for my games.
However I'm pretty sure GIMP would remain my all time favorite.
Elvano~
Wisdom and knowledge are both treasures in life.
While knowledge allows us to do great deeds,
it is wisdom which helps us to use it responsible.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

My dislike from GIMP mainly comes from two points:
  • So many windows
    I know this point is obsolete, but I'm too lazy to check GIMP out again.
  • People advising to use GIMP without mentioning other (free) tools at all
    Every tool has his/her pro's and cons, mentioning just one tool is lame :P.
And yes, it does only run on Windows. It's one the few software that keeps me vendor locked to it.
Spoiler:
The other piece of software is Microsoft Office. LibreOffice / OpenOffice is not a good choice if you are required to work together with other people that do use Microsoft Office.
Paint.net started as open source, but cause people just changed the name of the software, and then tried to sell it for money, Rick (the developer of Paint.net) decided to make it closed source. The software is however free to use. You are also allowed to decompile and reverse engineer it. You are just not allowed to recompile and share it.

Which piece of software is your favorite mainly depends on what you are used to. I can do a lot more and quicker with Paint.net than I can do with GIMP. Not cause GIMP sucks, but cause I just have far more experience with Paint.net. That being said it can't hurt to check out other software. (and yes, I really should check out GIMP again). If you're worried about the alpha stage, you could also just check out v3.5. That version is very stable and there are lots of plugins to use.
Salius
Novice
Novice

Post by Salius »

EJlol, may be Paint.net is good software. But it is proprietary and not open source software. And it depends on .net. I (for example) can't use it because I don't use windows. May be I can try use it with wine, but I have good alternative - Gimp, which has native builds for Linux.
And about OpenOffice: I use it much more than Gimp and I work together with other people who use Microsoft Office and I have no problems. OO support doc and xls formats, and docx too. If I need to send document to other people I can save it as doc, if they need this format.
Try latest Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1, it works both in linux and in windows (http://www.openoffice.org/download/). And as you can see - OpenOffice is now sponsored by Apache Software Foundation.
Elvano
Peon
Peon

Post by Elvano »

EJlol wrote:The other piece of software is Microsoft Office. LibreOffice / OpenOffice is not a good choice if you are required to work together with other people that do use Microsoft Office.
Libtre Office is fine if working with people using MS Office, if only those bums would use the doc extension rather than docx. Docx gives no extra options, or atleast not at the level of "the people you have to work with". Worse yet, it's file size increases greatly.
I'm pretty sure docx was only invented to cause incompatibility anyway <.<

If a doc file gives problems with Libreoffice it's because of incorrect usage of styles.
Which is completely to blame uponthe person who made the document, and thus not Libreoffice.
Elvano~
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Paint.net is not that bad for windows, and the reason of the closed source is understandable.
But the lack of linux support is very bad, I wonder if it's a developer choice or just a miss of time.

And you're right, I've should have offered alternative to GIMP. :P
If you want the war, you'll get it!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

If it's Microsoft or Google it's not worth a noodle.

TMW Team member

Elvano
Peon
Peon

Post by Elvano »

Reid wrote:And you're right, I've should have offered alternative to GIMP. :P
Such nonsens ;o
GIMP is a great tool and Available for Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, BSD, ...
And even on mobile platforms (ios doesn't count due to their licencing in the appstore)
Nobody should have offered an alternative for GIMP.

But seeing as you (,unrightfully as far I'm concerned,) dislike GIMP, EJlol, and prefere this paint.net thing think it's very thoughtful of you to share this with your fellow GIMP dislikers.
I also appriciate you being subtle announcing your dislike on some of the best OS aplications here.

I must admit that I'm very curious on how well this paint.net will compete Adobe's Photoshop when it leaves the Alpha stages.
Especially since alot of people seem to be happy with it and it already get's recognized as Photoshop's alternative
Elvano~
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Elvano wrote:
Reid wrote:And you're right, I've should have offered alternative to GIMP. :P
Such nonsens ;o
GIMP is a great tool and Available for Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, BSD, ...
And even on mobile platforms (ios doesn't count due to their licencing in the appstore)
Nobody should have offered an alternative for GIMP.

But seeing as you (,unrightfully as far I'm concerned,) dislike GIMP, EJlol, and prefere this paint.net thing think it's very thoughtful of you to share this with your fellow GIMP dislikers.
I also appriciate you being subtle announcing your dislike on some of the best OS aplications here.

I must admit that I'm very curious on how well this paint.net will compete Adobe's Photoshop when it leaves the Alpha stages.
Especially since alot of people seem to be happy with it and it already get's recognized as Photoshop's alternative
You're too embittered Elvano, peoples can make choice to like or dislike things. :)
Until that nobody come to say that photoshop is better than GIMP, I'm fine.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Elvano
Peon
Peon

Post by Elvano »

I was actually not being sarcastic there, Reidy.

Also, you people always quote too much text.
Quote the relevant things! =p
Elvano~
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Elvano wrote:I was actually not being sarcastic there, Reidy.

Also, you people always quote too much text.
Quote the relevant things! =p
I learned to always quote a long time ago. People tend to edit their own posts and make your answer look silly. Now it's kind of a habit.

TMW Team member

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Elvano wrote:I must admit that I'm very curious on how well this paint.net will compete Adobe's Photoshop when it leaves the Alpha stages.
Featurewise Adobe's Photoshop would win that without problems. Many things that photoshop has natively Paint.net has to rely on plugins or even can't do at all. Paint.net doesn't have grouped layers, CMYK support, smudge (there is a plugin for that though), etc. All these features will not get added in the v4 release. The biggest change people will notice is is speed. v4 will be a lot faster than v3.5. The GUI got changed a little bit, and there are a few more trick's to make it easier to draw things, but they are all small. Some changes are good, others are bad. (why did he put the line tool under the 'shapes' tool, making it harder to access? :'( )

Now if you ask why anyone would choose drawing software X above drawing software Y, there is a huge chance their answer is not "cause it's faster". But more like "it has feature X and Y". I think Paint.net will compete against Photoshop as it is already doing now. People that do basic stuff are better off with Paint.net / Any other program that they are used too, and people that do more advanced stuff are better off with GIMP / Photoshop. This won't change in the (near) future.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Fifth (and problably last) alpha build released:
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/t ... available/