Allowing development of TMW Legacy to continue

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Should development for TMW legacy continue regardless of merge?

yes
65%
no
35%

Total votes: 23
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Allowing development of TMW Legacy to continue

Post by baseballboy »

Several players, including GMs, have told me that they would like for development to continue regardless of the merge, myself and others are willing to contribute and maintain the legacy server, even if that means moving it and it's player data to another host to be maintained separately from the merging project. I would like to just see how many people agree and would also like to see this happen.
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: Allowing development of TMW Legacy to continue

Post by EJlol »

I voted no. The development rate of the game is already very low, splitting things up would make it even lower. I would love to see more development activity in general, and I'm quite sure that won't happen if you split up the project in 2 projects... It's really better to invest in the merge project.
Eisenstein
Peon
Peon

Post by Eisenstein »

In my opinion this decision should be left to developers as they contribute all the work for just a few people who arent willing to restart on a new server. Too less developers, let TMW go. Enough contributors, you might continue with TWM.
DiamondPython
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by DiamondPython »

Hello Everyone,

I'm starting to work on developing TMW and I would really like to see this server get far. Merge or no merge, I would like to see the devs updating the mana world. I would also like to see a lot of yes's on the topic because it shows all the support we have in this tough time.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

The current dev team is focused on taking the project forward through the merge. TMW Athena is not a sustainable engine and will not last much longer, especially considering that Manaplus will continue to be updated according to the main project's development. That said, this is an Open Source project and anyone is free to work on it if they wish. We will not outlaw development of Legacy, we will just not support it as that would mean the certain end of this project within a couple of years.

I voted no because I see any effort to continue Legacy as a waste of time and resources, I think that talent is better invested in the main project which has at least a chance for a promising future.

TMW Team member

DiamondPython
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by DiamondPython »

I'm inclined to agree. I'd rather drop Legacy and keep the Main going, than see both failing. We are understaffed.
MichaelMiller
Peon
Peon

Post by MichaelMiller »

Tmw should not even be called Legacy, this merge nonsense will not take us anywhere, it only made every single dev go away slowly.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Do as you want, if somebody works on TMW then nobody will blame me or anybody working on the merge for all of this mess!
Also, anyone with a semblance of mind would understand why we switched to Hercules in no time. :D
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

MichaelMiller wrote:Tmw should not even be called Legacy, this merge nonsense will not take us anywhere, it only made every single dev go away slowly.
1. There were no devs who disagreed with the merge when we took that decision.
2. Due to technical limitations of TMW Athena, the Legacy server cannot continue to be developed for much longer, that is outside of the developers' control.

TMW Team member

MichaelMiller
Peon
Peon

Post by MichaelMiller »

WildX wrote:
MichaelMiller wrote:Tmw should not even be called Legacy, this merge nonsense will not take us anywhere, it only made every single dev go away slowly.
2. Due to technical limitations of TMW Athena, the Legacy server cannot continue to be developed for much longer, that is outside of the developers' control.
Okay but at least don't delete my data.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

MichaelMiller wrote:
WildX wrote:
Okay but at least don't delete my data.
That's a completely different argument and nobody said anything about deleting data. This thread is about continuing development and I was responding to what you said in regards to precisely that.

TMW Team member

Amarynthus
Novice
Novice

Post by Amarynthus »

Its seems there's much confusion about the purpose of this thread.

First, the idea that our vote on these forums and could change the minds of the current developers is silly. I mean, I hope they take input, and I suspect they are responsive to player wishes - but the merge and/or move away from the current tools was not just for the heck of it, it was a necessary transition. We're on a sinking ship that will never again be fully sea-worthy. So the current devs have decided to build a new ship that is more future-proof.

This is taking some time, so in the meantime Baseballboy seems to be offering to do some work to patch up our currently sinking ship to slow it's descent. It sounds like he wants to know if that effort would even be appreciated. So to that I voted yes: I'd appreciate such efforts.

But somehow other posts in this thread seem to assume that if we vote yes here, then suddenly devs working on that new boat will come back to do the patch-up work. That's not what I thought I was voting on.

EDIT: and here's the new ship they're working on. It looks a bit small. Some of us might not make it. :P
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

My whole point is that anyone wanting to work on Legacy would do more good helping the main project, with every person offering their help we can reach our goals a bit faster. I guess at this point I'm just shamelessly advertising in search for contributions :lol:

TMW Team member

Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I am still waiting for the transition to TMWserv to finally build a MMORPG-like version of Secret of Mana :-)
Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

I'm two-sided about the current game known as legacy. I am satisfied that there should be no more new content developed, at least until it is completely streamlined, and all errors fixed.

The reason is that it would help the NEW game to be able to recognise problems in the old, and to avoid them, or make a fix.
It also gives time to decide on making the warps match the maps, and even the wiki being updated to match all the features of a completed game.

From there, there should be development further, whether on the new server (which I'm very excited about, and looking forward to using), or the old.

Mind you, this is only an opinion.
_

Let me help you understand pirate talk.
Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")