[PASS] [REJECTED] Mrgrey for GM

A forum for the community to suggest new Game Masters. PLEASE READ THE RULES.
Forum rules
1. Each member of the community can make a topic (poll) suggesting another person for a GM. You can't make a poll for yourself.
2. One topic per person, any duplicates will be removed and votes will be lost.
3. Each poll has to be done according to the schema (yes has to be first option and no the second):
"Do you agree for person X to become a GM?"
"Yes."
"No."
You are supposed to allow only one option per user and allow revoting.
You are supposed to pick "run for 0 days".
4. A person suggested has to collect at least 45 votes (or more) for yes, with minimum 75% for yes and maximum 25% for no (3:1 ratio).
5. A person suggested may request closing of the topic.
6. Only posts containing valid pros and cons are allowed in the threads, discussions however are not allowed. For discussions about particular case use Player Talk forums.
7. If a person collects the required votes, assuming there are free positions and no objections are raised, they'll be granted "Junior GM" rights for a certain period.
8. After training and approval from the senior GMs, the team will formally grant full GM rights and team membership.
9. If many persons will gain required voices, voice count will matter.
10. The amount of GMs to pick in certain time line will be determined by the TMW Team (Admins, GMs and developers).
11. Persons rejected due lack of free positions will be put on hold till any position becomes available (according to vote count).
12. If more than a year passes, a new poll must be open to ensure the community is still fine with the nomination.
13. Usual GM choosing criteria and guidelines still apply, persons not meeting those criteria will be rejected and will have their thread closed.
14. Sockpuppeting will be detected and all accounts, including the master's one will be banned forever without warning. There is one vote per person, and a person means a human being not a forum account.
15. If this forum will turn into a flame war cave, people posting here will act unreasonably and will break the rules on massive scale, forum will be closed down. So use it wisely.
16. If you don't know a person suggested, it is better to find out who is s/he and what they do before voting, do not vote "no" just because you don't know someone.
17. State EXACT player name that clearly identify a person (in game or on forums - precise which one it is).
18. After a candidate receives required amount of votes, the poll is closed, a candidate reviewed by the TMW Committee and asked (or not - in case of valid objections) to become a GM.
19. You need to have at least 10 posts to participate in the polls.

MrGrey for GM!

yes
85%
no
15%

Total votes: 71
Axalix
Novice
Novice

Re: Mrgrey for GM

Post by Axalix »

+1
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Thank you for all the support those of you who voted yes, I appreciate the show of confidence. For those of you who voted no, though I don't expect it, it would be helpful to know what your reasons are. I won't hold a grudge for someone simply telling it like it is, even if it's not in my favor, so if anyone has any good reasons I wouldn't be good as a GM, please feel free to share. :)
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

voted no just to piss you off
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Keep on voting and posting guys, don't let the silent "NO because it's an old poll" attack mrgrey :p

TMW Team member

mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Thanks, actually this isn't really an old topic, it was made recently :P
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P

<o11c> chatroulette

ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

Harhar me was the first one who was voting no. Thx 2 all followers ):-p Chef rulzzz
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Ali-G wrote:I changed mind, having a troll as GM is not a bad idea ;) And don't abuse of the @global command to troll haha!

Have fun,
Ali-G
may be we already have one :lol:

and please do some fun globals !

I vote yes
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Nard suggested I include my answers to this questionnaire since, while it's not required, most or all of the other players that became GMs have done so.

1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)? Assuming they speak english, I'd direct them to the beginner quests in Tulimshar, answer any questions about the rules they might have, explain basic game functions (such as how to whisper, trade, etc). If they speak another language I'd either ask a player who speaks their language to help in the same way I would, or if none were around, hope Google Translate gets the message across well enough.
2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you? That would not happen from becoming a GM, but theoretically if that command were available to me, it would probably die of neglect.
3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
-advertisement for other servers
-botting
-insults
-not speaking english in public
-scamming
-spamming

-Botting: I don't really care about people using automation, but it's unfair to other players who actively spend their time grinding monsters, when a player is away from their keyboard getting all the same exp/items as the player actually working at it.
-Insults: Players sitting around town insulting each other just makes it a less enjoyable environment for other players. I'm not very strict about it, but calling people offensive names and harassing them should at least end in a warning to the offender/s. Of course, to be fair, I wouldn't come and warn someone just because somebody tells me they were called a name - I would go to where they were (probably invisible) and see for myself.
-Not speaking english in public: I consider spamming to be worse than this, simply because spamming is an annoying behavior while speaking another language is simply a matter of heritage. Still, I would probably respond to this first because if the non-english-speaking player gets no responses, they might repeat themselves until they get autobanned for spam. If the player is reminded of the rules in their language, and refuses to comply, then the usual action would be taken (warning, etc).
-Spamming: Though some spam will happen unintentionally here and there, continuously doing so with no regard for other players is inconsiderate. I only placed this below "not speaking english in public" because in some cases, the autoban for spam will take effect on it's own.
-Scamming: This isn't against the rules, so aside from warning players to watch their trade windows, there's not much that can be done about it. If someone is trying to scam people with websites that ask for your password, that's somewhat different.
-Advertisement for other servers: This is not against the rules at all, unless the player in question spams about it, in which case they might get warned for spam.

4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?
If the player makes a valid point, I might ask the other GMs their opinion, though I'd still warn the player for insulting regardless. I'd also suggest that if they believe I'm not doing my duties as a GM, or am abusing the privilege, that they post a complaint in the Court House (Abuse Forum). If, however, they are just angry and directing it at me, I will warn them appropriately before taking action.

I hope this assures some of you, though I think these answers are pretty typical. In reality, it's not about what you do with the normal situations that come up - it's how you use your judgement in the situations where there's no clear guidelines. And, I can say that after the many complaints about GMs' actions lately, I'd never be acting on a whim, and if a situation confused me I'd ask a second opinion from the more experienced GMs. I have no trouble being held accountable for my actions.

Lastly, I won't waste my breath again asking the no voters to explain here why they voted no. Instead, I invite you to whisper me in game and share your concerns with me - I would love a chance to change your mind, and hearing my flaws from other people can only make it easier to overcome those flaws, no? :)

<o11c> chatroulette

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I'd like to point out the fact that CapitanAwesome just came back today in game and said he'll probably be active this year as GM. This means we already have Prsm, Big Crunch, CapitanAwesome, Tiana and Narus as active GMs.
The only GM we need at the moment is someone that can do the job in this period of time (average) (GMT +0) 8am - 6pm. This is of course very large but it represents the period of time where we don't see any GMs connected most of the time.

Hope this helps,
Ali-G
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

ALi-G:
Of course your read this one: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 02#p110402
---
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

Ali-G wrote:I'd like to point out the fact that CapitanAwesome just came back today in game and said he'll probably be active this year as GM. This means we already have Prsm, Big Crunch, CapitanAwesome, Tiana and Narus as active GMs.
The only GM we need at the moment is someone that can do the job in this period of time (average) (GMT +0) 8am - 6pm. This is of course very large but it represents the period of time where we don't see any GMs connected most of the time.

Hope this helps,
Ali-G

with all due respect, this forum is about mrgrey completing the first steps to try and become a GM, irregardless of who is coming back or who isn't active or active.

It should be based on his credibility, knowledge of the game and attitude, at this point!

Thats why i voted yes!
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

I'll also point out that him saying he'll "probably be active this year as GM" is really quite vague. For all I know that could mean he'll be around once a week, month, or every day. So stating that no other GMs should be needed seems a little premature to me, to be honest. If I got the votes and no more GMs were needed, that'd be fine with me, but I don't think a "probably" is sufficient enough to say that there won't be any need for more GMs.

Also, I'm on at odd hours, like argul said :P

<o11c> chatroulette

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

AFAIK CapintanAwesome's GM rights were removed for inactivity. Doesn't he need a new poll? That would be fair.

TMW Team member

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Is you look at the GM log, CapitanAwesome still has his GM level. I wouldn't remove them from him since he'll be active this year.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

I have no idea who CapitanAwesome is. I've never seen him play and I don't see a poll for him.

I do know who mrgrey is. He is honest, responsible, level-headed in a crisis, and has invested many hours in playing the game and building his reputation.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown