[WIP] Apple Field

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

[WIP] Apple Field

Post by Dark_Mag »

Hello,

To make this game more real, I decided to make apple tree for this game, but after listening to advices of one of the content leaders, apple tree appeared into the whole field.
Here you are a patch: http://pastebin.com/rirQRBNL
And a screen (I didn't put it as [img], because it's to big): http://imagebin.org/167175
Falling down apples are very rare, about 2 in 1/2 minute(s).

Soon I'll post the continuation of this topic. It'll contain likely patch, but all the apples will be green, and it'll be placed on the left field.

/me thinks about great developer, which has helped him.

Cheers, dark
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: [WIP] Apple Field

Post by o11c »

[quote=pastebin]
\ No newline at end of file
[/quote]

Please avoid this. According to its standard usage, \n is a line terminator, not a line separator.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Why did you use the <animation> tag, when you only have one frame? Please use the <image> tag in that case.

I also noticed that the lifetime is shorter than the fade-out time. This means that the apple will fade out even before it reaches the ground. Is that intentional? Maybe it is because you don't want the apples to disappear suddenly when they hit the ground. But you can make them lie on the ground by adding the "bounce" property. A low value (like 0.1) will make them bounce a bit when they hit the ground. When you don't want them to bounce at all, try a very low value like 0.000001.

I would also advise against using power, horizontal-angle and vertical-angle in this case, because when an apple falls off a tree it just falls straight down and isn't launched in a random direction.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

o11c wrote:\ No newline at end of file

Please avoid this. According to its standard usage, \n is a line terminator, not a line separator.
o11c,

Ok, now fixing.
Crush wrote:Why did you use the <animation> tag, when you only have one frame? Please use the <image> tag in that case.

I also noticed that the lifetime is shorter than the fade-out time. This means that the apple will fade out even before it reaches the ground. Is that intentional? Maybe it is because you don't want the apples to disappear suddenly when they hit the ground. But you can make them lie on the ground by adding the "bounce" property. A low value (like 0.1) will make them bounce a bit when they hit the ground. When you don't want them to bounce at all, try a very low value like 0.000001.

I would also advise against using power, horizontal-angle and vertical-angle in this case, because when an apple falls off a tree it just falls straight down and isn't launched in a random direction.
Crush,

Thanks for advices, now I'll fix it and I hope it'll look more natural. :)
About fade-out and lifetime: I'll leave it as it is in falling-apples2.particle.xml, because apples will slowly disappear in the crone of the trees, which are located before them.

Cheers, dark
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Isn't there already a particle effect of apples falling off the tree?
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

poison_ivy wrote:Isn't there already a particle effect of apples falling off the tree?
poison_ivy,

Yes, it exists. But believe me, it would be better to create new one. :)

Cheers, dark
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

Hi,

I've tried to fix everything you've told me about, and got this (sorry for 2 patches, in 1 I forgot to add tiles):
1) http://pastebin.com/W02S5N0e
2) http://pastebin.com/zdRtEJsn
You should apply both patches, sorry for this again.

Cheers, dark