Ask the Wizard //codex of game

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

bogus
Newly Registered User

Ask the Wizard //codex of game

Post by bogus »

I don't have all day so ask a question about how to fix an issue (even if you think there is no other way) and I'll give you one or more professional quality solutions. I'll follow up clarify within reason as well. Talking is great but in a forum everyone can go back and referance as needed.

Q1 how can i understand your post? A1 o11c it's about design and code. (the technical development of said design and code)
Last edited by Anonymous on 06 Dec 2011, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
*>* Professor Farnsworth: You can't just waltz into the Central Bureaucracy. It's a tangled web of red tape and regulations. I've never been, but a friend of mine went completely mad trying to find the washroom there.
Leela: Then we'll need a guide, someone who's been there before.
Professor Farnsworth: Oh, I've been there. Lots of times.
[laughs maniacally]
*>*
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Ask the Wizard //codex of game

Post by o11c »

How am I supposed to resolve that post into meaningful content?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

o11c wrote:How am I supposed to resolve that post into meaningful content?
I got small Image button. Maybe that would help? :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

How would you design a program which is able to analyze another program and the data fed to it, and then finds out if it will run forever or finish eventually?

We could need that for preventing scripts to enter infinite loops.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
bogus
Newly Registered User

Post by bogus »

It would need to be a program that generates the code of the program, or the program, and reads or genertates the database as well. Specific issuses I can give you specific answers. Like the ones people post as bugs or issues they had with mana world or even more specific issues coders have like "how can my server inform clients where the other players are better than this?"
*>* Professor Farnsworth: You can't just waltz into the Central Bureaucracy. It's a tangled web of red tape and regulations. I've never been, but a friend of mine went completely mad trying to find the washroom there.
[laughs maniacally]
*>*
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It would need to be a program that generates the code of the program, or the program, and reads or genertates the database as well.
So you need a compiler and a database query. And then? How would you proceed?

Is that problem too hard for you to solve?

How about more of a beginners task. Like, let's say, write an algorithm which finds the prime-factors of a large integer and has a runtime which isn't growing exponential with the size of the integer?
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:write an algorithm which finds the prime-factors of a large integer and has a runtime which isn't growing exponential with the size of the integer?
I would like to see that algorithm too. :)
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Q: Given a program that takes a nonnegative integer input and repeatedly searches within the decimal expansion of π, stopping when the result is less than or equal to the input:
  1. Does there exist an input which cannot be found within the decimal expansion of π?
  2. Will this program always stop? With what probability?
  3. For the inputs that do stop, what function approximates the typical chain length?
  4. If the program only stopped for equality, not for less than, do there exist inputs for which it would cycle (see 19) with an arbitrarily long cycle?
Example runs:
0 -> 32 -> 15 STOP.
1 -> 1 STOP
2 -> 6 -> 7 -> 13 -> 110 -> 174 -> 155 STOP
3 -> 9 -> 5 STOP
4 -> 2 STOP
5 -> 4 STOP
// 6, 7 shown in chain 2
8 -> 11 -> 94 -> 58 STOP
// 9 shown in chain 3
10 -> 49 -> 57 -> 404 -> 1272 -> 8699 -> 3292 STOP
// 11 shown in chain 8
12 -> 148 -> 103 STOP
// 13 shown in chain 2
14 -> 1 STOP
15 -> 3 STOP
16 -> 40 -> 70 -> 96 -> 180 -> 3664 -> 24717 -> 15492 STOP
17 -> 95 -> 30 STOP
18 -> 424 -> 1109 -> 3253 -> 10092 -> 66241 -> 35799 STOP
19 -> 37 -> 46 -> 19 STOP
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
bogus
Newly Registered User

Post by bogus »

Crush it's called education. The basic halting problem is not something anyone can just hash out for you. Once again a specific problem could have several good solutions while this generalized epenis contest you have devised is puerile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
[laughs maniacally]
*>*
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Two weeks to figure that out - congratulations, you programming genius.
  • NOT a game master