A question about config files???

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

wjhildreth
Newly Registered User

A question about config files???

Post by wjhildreth »

Hello all,

I am not a developer and this may be a dumb question if so, look over my total NEWBIEness please.

I followed the page on setting up the development server, included the magic script and faced the server to the outside world so my son and I can play together.

My question is why are the configuration files all scattered about? I understand that you need separate config files for each server process, but it would be a lot easier to do that all in the same directory, especially if your setting it up and doing it accross a ssh session like I did. Also, it seems that the lan_support.conf file can be used by both the char-server and map-server instead of using two copies.

There are some python scripts in the ~/tmw-ea/eathena-data/tools/ directory that do not run because of incorrect paths. Are these never used by the local game administrator?

Like I said, I am not a developer and am just curious as to why.

On a side note, I am really trying to figure out how everything works overall so that I can possibly join in the development efforts on some level. I know that I still have a lot of wiki stuff to read.

Thanks for your time and patients with me.

Joe
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: A question about config files???

Post by Alige »

Greetings Joe,
[quote="wjhildreth" I know that I still have a lot of wiki stuff to read.[/quote]
If you have any problem or report, feel free to tell me. I'd be glad to help you with anything about the TMW wiki.

As for the server questions, I don't have the knowledge to answer them.

Best regards,
Ali
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

wjhildreth wrote:I followed the page on setting up the development server, included the magic script and faced the server to the outside world so my son and I can play together.
Is you son on a completely different location than you, i.e. not in the same LAN? There are definite complications to making a server public. If you have to do it, I suggest IP-filtering and/or disabling registration.
wjhildreth wrote:My question is why are the configuration files all scattered about? I understand that you need separate config files for each server process, but it would be a lot easier to do that all in the same directory, especially if your setting it up and doing it accross a ssh session like I did. Also, it seems that the lan_support.conf file can be used by both the char-server and map-server instead of using two copies.
Originally, the files were all jumbled together as you describe, but I thought it best to separate them for a number of reasons.
  1. Allow running multiple copies of e.g. the char-server with the same login-server, with different configs for each char-server.
  2. Make it clear which config files belong to which server. Among other things, many of the configuration files are/were not used, and this makes it obvious which ones are to be deleted (although it turns out that it's a bit more complicated than that).
  3. It was just plain confusing having two different servers use both using lan_support.conf but taking different fields from it.
wjhildreth wrote:There are some python scripts in the ~/tmw-ea/eathena-data/tools/ directory that do not run because of incorrect paths. Are these never used by the local game administrator?
There are a lot of tools lying around that don't get used.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
wjhildreth
Newly Registered User

Post by wjhildreth »

Is you son on a completely different location than you, i.e. not in the same LAN? There are definite complications to making a server public. If you have to do it, I suggest IP-filtering and/or disabling registration.
I have only the ports related to the three servers open in my firewall. Mostly we play on the same LAN, but there are occasions when I am away from home on business. So it was probably opened more for me and some guests than anything. In it's current environment, I have limited uplink so could not host a bunch of players anyway. Where do you disable registration?

I understand you reasoning for separating the files for multiple instances of some of the servers. As a network guy, the lan config file was a little confusing when I read 'subnet'. I think 'network' is a little more intuitive.

Well, I cut my teeth on CBM BASIC then 65xx assembly, then C. It has been a long time, but if there is a way I can help, I would like to. Hmmmm.... Perhaps I gave my age away there. :-)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Joe
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

wjhildreth wrote:Where do you disable registration?
It set in login/conf/login_athena.conf

Code: Select all

// Can you make new accounts on the server? (1 for Yes, 0 for no)
new_account: 1
But you should override it in login_local.conf
(actually, some strings are parsed, so you can say new_account: no or new_account: off)
wjhildreth wrote:I understand you reasoning for separating the files for multiple instances of some of the servers. As a network guy, the lan config file was a little confusing when I read 'subnet'. I think 'network' is a little more intuitive.
Hmm ... I thought "subnet" was the standard term for this. Well, I'm changing the way things are implemented - with my new way, currently I allow ("192.168.1.0" 24) and ("192.168.1.0" "192.168.1.255") for a range, or just a single IP address of course.
wjhildreth wrote:Well, I cut my teeth on CBM BASIC then 65xx assembly, then C. It has been a long time, but if there is a way I can help, I would like to.
Help is always welcome. Though for my rewrite I'm using C++11 extensively, and some python2 for tools.
I'm finding Python is *really good* at what it is aimed to do. (Unlike, say, Java. Unless it was designed to make a lot of crappy programmers.)

Code: Select all

if ch == '':
        raise Havoc
wjhildreth wrote:Hmmmm.... Perhaps I gave my age away there. :-)
Well, I have a lot of technical conversations with a geezer around here :P
wjhildreth
Newly Registered User

Post by wjhildreth »

Help is always welcome. Though for my rewrite I'm using C++11 extensively, and some python2 for tools.
I'm finding Python is *really good* at what it is aimed to do. (Unlike, say, Java. Unless it was designed to make a lot of crappy programmers.)
When you say C++11, what do you mean? Are you using a version of the C++ compiler for Windows or Mac or something. When I look at my Ubuntu 11.10 install, my installed gcc compiler is at version 4.6.1.

Are your code branches available, or are they closed to just the developers? I would like to just look at them to see if I am compentent enough to help. I would not want you to think that I am something I am not by jumping in and then finding out I am way over my head.

Joe
wjhildreth
Newly Registered User

Post by wjhildreth »

Also, is there a published document that defines the tasks and duties of each server? A flow chart of sorts? Or should I just continue reading the code and figure out what is going on?

Joe
twiistedkaos
Peon
Peon

Post by twiistedkaos »

wjhildreth wrote:
When you say C++11, what do you mean? Are you using a version of the C++ compiler for Windows or Mac or something. When I look at my Ubuntu 11.10 install, my installed gcc compiler is at version 4.6.1.

Are your code branches available, or are they closed to just the developers? I would like to just look at them to see if I am compentent enough to help. I would not want you to think that I am something I am not by jumping in and then finding out I am way over my head.

Joe
In case you did not find what C++11 is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B11
Main Character: Scylar lvl 70+
Alt Character: Folly lvl 40+

wjhildreth
Newly Registered User

Post by wjhildreth »

Thanks for the link. All I can say is that the language has come a LONG way since I learned it. :shock: As a matter of memory, when I moved on, the STL was just being adopted into the language. I don't know that I would have the time to relearn what I knew and then move up the curve fast enough. I now remember why I grew up to be a network guy. Don't know that I could be much help on the programming front. My self taught excursion in the C/C++ never really got me much further than using some classes. I mostly coded to access hardware I built for model train control and sensing. Perhaps there is something else I can help with. Thanks for your time and patience with me.

Although the morbid curiosity part of me cannot help but look into the source code files. :-)

Joe
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

The last thing I pushed is: http://gitorious.org/~o11c/tmw-eathena/ ... a-comments
It should be quite a bit more readable than mainline.

I have quite a few local changes though - at the moment I'm writing a new foundation and I don't plan for the git history to be continuous. *Hopefully* that will be ready by this weekend and then I'll starting rewriting protocol handlers and script functions. Hm, that reminds me, I haven't added the unix socket ancillary data stuff ...

My job would be a *lot* easier if I didn't have to maintain compatibility with the protocol ... still, that's the *one* thing I know I can't get away with - at least, not yet. There's still a *long* time before a stable mana 1.0 ... (unless they go all chromium, of course)