Sound Quality

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Sound Quality

Post by wushin »

Curious anyone have an opinion on switching all the music to 48000 from 44100 ?
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Sound Quality

Post by Chicka-Maria »

not me, would be a good change.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Currently, we have one track at 48000 and the rest at 44100. You have a pull request that changes one of the 44100s to a 48000.

a quick check has showed that 48000 is probably the native frequency of your sound card.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Well most modern cards default to 48000.

Most digital audio is sampled at 44.1 kHz, a standard no doubt related to CD-DA, while sound cards were often designed to process audio at 48 kHz. So, the 44.1 kHz audio must be resampled to 48 kHz.

But doing this produces digital artifacts if done wrong (clipping and popping).

I resampled it to 48000 to satisfy sound cards and improve sound quality. have straelyn working on encoding the other tracks to 48000. I put this one up as a sample.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Thanks for explaining the details (and historical reasons) between the different bitrates.
It certainly sounds like 48000 is a better choice for computer audio.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Socapex
Peon
Peon

Post by Socapex »

lol! You think upsampling a sound file that is 44.1 to 48 khz will improve quality? Your funny.

BTW, 44.1 == music, 48 == video and broadcasting. Every single sound card out there supports 44.1, so if you hear pops and crackles, then the problem is elsewhere.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Um, he said that if the conversion to 48 is done improperly, you get problems. And no one thinks that just because it's a bigger number means it's better. (There are, however, *other* technical improvements being done at the same time).

And while the kind of sound card that professionals use can undoubtedly play 44.1 just as well as 48, in the *real* world we have sound cards that will only play at one native frequency and the resampling is done dynamically in software. If you're lucky, this will be entirely transparent to the user, but some of us have had to mess with our ALSA settings (for some reason, plugging in a webcam makes it want to output the sound to it).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Socapex wrote:lol! You think upsampling a sound file that is 44.1 to 48 khz will improve quality? Your funny.

BTW, 44.1 == music, 48 == video and broadcasting. Every single sound card out there supports 44.1, so if you hear pops and crackles, then the problem is elsewhere.
Most sound cards already scale it before you hear it, this removes it from having to do it and 44.1 as I pretty sure people aren't playing this off their cd but through a PCM device i.e. Sound Card.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate

Most audio processors/sound cards contain DAC for both 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz, being able to natively output either, though some older processors include only 44.1 kHz output, and some cheaper newer processors only include 48 kHz output, requiring digital sample rate conversion to output other sample rates. Similarly, processors may be able to record natively at only certain sample rates.

There are clips and pops in the tracks. Alot has to do with things outside of sampling rate.

Most likely with a newer card the music doesn't work.

And to anyone other then an audio file the improvement isn't heard.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

More on this. Redoing the sample rate is moot as SDL in the client resamples it anyways.
Socapex
Peon
Peon

Post by Socapex »

Just to make things clear,

Up-sampling a 44.1 KHz file to 48 KHz will not improve the sound quality. It can not, because the information isn't there in the first place. Even worst, some audio engineers, such as myself, will argue that it will degrade audio quality. The reason is simple, you need interpolation to up-sample a 44.1 file to 48. So unfortunately, you are relying on the algorithm used to upscale the sample rate, which means the values aren't exact, which means there is a loss of information.

Now, if somebody with ear-buds or computer speakers hears the difference is another question. To which I will reply no, of course not! Nobody hears the difference. People like mp3 lol.

If I up-sample in Pro Tools, I know its gonna be fine. I do not necessarily trust open source audio software, that isn't to say I am right and that their interpolation isn't good.

For sound cards, the problems you are pointing out is Linux and probably drivers. Sorry to hear that, have fun resampling :P
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Socapex
Peon
Peon

Post by Socapex »

There is nothing to correct.

48 KHz is better, when things have been recorded, processed and down-mixed in that format. The question was about up-sampling from 44.1 to 48, which you wont hear the difference (and neither will I) and relies on an algorithm to "fill in the blanks". Or to be more precise, interpolate the blanks between the original values (if that makes any sense).

Here's something you could relate too, because people think visually a lot more. Open a picture in Gimp. Save it as a JPEG with the worst compression (lowest quality). Now open this jpeg in gimp, and save it as a PNG or a TIFF or any RAW/uncompressed format (high-quality format). The artefacts from the jpeg lossy compression will still remain, even though it is now in a "theoretically" better format.

Nobody would even think to say "save all your jpegs to uncompressed tiff to make them look better". I hope you understand more now :)

I think you should definitely go 48KHz if other formats are causing problems. But just don't proclaim it will sound better in your case. ^_^
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Socapex wrote:Just to make things clear,

Up-sampling a 44.1 KHz file to 48 KHz will not improve the sound quality. It can not, because the information isn't there in the first place. Even worst, some audio engineers, such as myself, will argue that it will degrade audio quality. The reason is simple, you need interpolation to up-sample a 44.1 file to 48. So unfortunately, you are relying on the algorithm used to upscale the sample rate, which means the values aren't exact, which means there is a loss of information.

Now, if somebody with ear-buds or computer speakers hears the difference is another question. To which I will reply no, of course not! Nobody hears the difference. People like mp3 lol.

If I up-sample in Pro Tools, I know its gonna be fine. I do not necessarily trust open source audio software, that isn't to say I am right and that their interpolation isn't good.

For sound cards, the problems you are pointing out is Linux and probably drivers. Sorry to hear that, have fun resampling :P
I totally agree with this and explanation cannot be clearer. I may just add that the ogg format wich is used here is not lossless, so upsampling will result in a second compression. thus an extra quality loss. As you have not the original files or hardware onwich they were recorded, there is nothing you can do to avoid this loss.
It is false that computer hardware do not recognize 44.1 and this still for a long time, just because audio industry would have to change it's formats. Personally I use Digital Performer & Amadeus pro, but at the moment, I didn't notice any major issue with Audacity's interpolation. Playing 44.1 at 48 rate is likely to result in a small transposition but this may depend on the libraries. I fear that the amount of work is not worth the result.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Also I already agreed it's not needed. Manaplus does it on the fly already.
Socapex
Peon
Peon

Post by Socapex »

If you need it, I have a script to automatically conform audio to different formats. I wouldn't mind sharing it :)