[FUSION] [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.

Keep everything or burn everything?

Migrate as much data as possible
47
57%
Migrate the bare minimum and compensate the players (see compensation thread)
36
43%
 
Total votes: 83
User avatar
prsm
Game Master
Game Master
Posts: 1410
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 18:18

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by prsm » 06 Aug 2016, 02:08

Reid wrote:
prsm wrote:I will try and say this very delicately, if I fail please forgive me.
Well it somehow failed as I take it very deeply. But I understand your point.
prsm wrote:The idea of a merge means sharing, I have heard what we will have to sacrifice, will the existing evol players be making scarifices or is it just TMW?

Prsm
Evol suffer from this union on two sides, the project and the game.
The project will be stopped, we loose our name and our identity.
The game will be wiped.
Reid, with respect you are talking of the project, my question was meant to be about the people that play the project.

Prsm
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
Mikko
Peon
Peon
Posts: 37
Joined: 14 Jan 2015, 12:44

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by Mikko » 06 Aug 2016, 03:53

To put things into perspective, the bulk of Evol's content can be completed in about 2~ hours if you're thorough,
It will take a while longer if you're willing to grind out the last two or so quests, croc claws anyone? :)
When compared to TMW, Evol only has a fraction of the content, so having Evol's data wiped wouldn't really be such a big deal.
User avatar
Reid
Developer
Developer
Posts: 1414
Joined: 15 May 2010, 22:39
Location: Artis
Contact:

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by Reid » 06 Aug 2016, 14:44

prsm wrote:
Reid wrote:
prsm wrote:I will try and say this very delicately, if I fail please forgive me.
Well it somehow failed as I take it very deeply. But I understand your point.
prsm wrote:The idea of a merge means sharing, I have heard what we will have to sacrifice, will the existing evol players be making scarifices or is it just TMW?

Prsm
Evol suffer from this union on two sides, the project and the game.
The project will be stopped, we loose our name and our identity.
The game will be wiped.
Reid, with respect you are talking of the project, my question was meant to be about the people that play the project.

Prsm
Evol shares the same player community than TMW, it's just them being wiped twice because some people call for unfairness. :?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
User avatar
wushin
Borg Queen (Lead)
Borg Queen (Lead)
Posts: 1750
Joined: 18 Dec 2012, 06:56
Location: RiverBest, Brew City, Merica
Contact:

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by wushin » 06 Aug 2016, 20:55

Well you can definitely bet we will at least rock something like x2-x3 Exp for the fusions release.

There are also methods to increase Drop Rates temp as well.

We could also hold huge release events where we could all play the game together from the start. As I have to level my Chars too.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
dragoon84
Novice
Novice
Posts: 119
Joined: 11 May 2016, 11:45
Location: Portugal

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by dragoon84 » 06 Aug 2016, 23:10

For me the 2 games were sacrifice but some rich players of TMW don't want to lose their fortune.
I don't care about riches because the rich people just f... everything.
User avatar
MAF-Apane
Peon
Peon
Posts: 51
Joined: 15 May 2015, 09:35

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by MAF-Apane » 08 Aug 2016, 08:00

I think that the lvl lust bé keep because for players who spend lot s or time to lvl char, it would be very hard to begin from nothing. For items maybe only keep the items obtainable with quest ( sorcerer,illia,forest bow...) Because their stat will be the same so their pricé wont chang after the merge. Not like rare hats.
dragoon84
Novice
Novice
Posts: 119
Joined: 11 May 2016, 11:45
Location: Portugal

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by dragoon84 » 08 Aug 2016, 12:16

if you don't know i am lvl 70 and i don't care about starting form nothing. If the merge game is a new game like wu-shin said then all the players should start from nothing :alt-9:
User avatar
Ledmitz
Developer
Developer
Posts: 227
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 23:40
Contact:

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by Ledmitz » 08 Aug 2016, 13:19

dragoon84 wrote:if you don't know i am lvl 70 and i don't care about starting form nothing. If the merge game is a new game like wu-shin said then all the players should start from nothing
:arrow: Tell us more, oh great and powerful guru. Your words of wisdom, we await after all comments. Praise be to the one who comments on all! All hail the Troll Master!!!

/me kneels and bows head in humility.
Ledmitz = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Ardits = BoomBoom = KillerBee
dragoon84
Novice
Novice
Posts: 119
Joined: 11 May 2016, 11:45
Location: Portugal

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by dragoon84 » 08 Aug 2016, 17:33

ha-ha-ha!! Think about this:
Its a new game right!? In a new game you start from fresh right!? So why we don't start from fresh in this one??

No fim tudo acaba (At the end everything ends) :twisted:
User avatar
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 533
Joined: 03 Jan 2010, 22:39

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by mistergrey » 08 Aug 2016, 19:31

I understand that everybody has their own idea of what should happen with the merge... but please realize our opinions are just opinions. This is not a reason to take sides, or to complain about players we don't like.

The biggest problem I see lately is a lack of empathy - so many players decide what they love or hate about this game, and then many of those just get angry if anybody disagrees with them, or values something different. I've watched people argue about the merge, with some making cheap shots at Evol's content, and others claiming that anybody who doesn't support the merge is selfish and only wants to keep their pretty things. This gets us nowhere, and only leaves us with bad impressions of each other. This community has a long history of splitting, we don't need any more reasons to be turning against each other.

As for players saying things like "I'm cool with the merge, but please just keep levels/gold/items/equipment/etc".... please realize that every player has their own priorities. While you may think one thing (like your level) is the most important, others will value other things more.

Speaking of items specifically, there is no guarantee ANY equipment will have the same stats on the new server, quest or otherwise. The same applies to prices. It's funny that people expect those things to be kept the same, while confident that anything "rare" will be made common or obtainable. Chances are, in terms of equipment at least, NOTHING will be kept exactly the same.

One last thing: all the hate on "rich players" and "rares" ruining the economy is a bit funny to me. Do any of you honestly believe there will be nothing rare or difficult to get in the new game? The only difference so far seems to be that there may be no more "unobtainable" items, which... I'm not sure how this would work efficiently. Part of the appeal of seasonal events like Christmas is that players can earn rewards that they may not be able to the next year - many find having such quests with the same reward every year is boring, myself included. And while those rewards are not available, they are technically "unobtainable" at the time. It seems to me that the new game's rarer items will take the place of the current "rares", and after some time, new players will be complaining about "rich players with their rare stuff", because that will always happen. It's a cycle, heh.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
User avatar
Ledmitz
Developer
Developer
Posts: 227
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 23:40
Contact:

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by Ledmitz » 08 Aug 2016, 20:05

mistergrey wrote:One last thing: all the hate on "rich players" and "rares" ruining the economy is a bit funny to me. Do any of you honestly believe there will be nothing rare or difficult to get in the new game? The only difference so far seems to be that there may be no more "unobtainable" items, which... I'm not sure how this would work efficiently. Part of the appeal of seasonal events like Christmas is that players can earn rewards that they may not be able to the next year - many find having such quests with the same reward every year is boring, myself included.
+1 and also the longer you play, the more you acquire. Your rich players are often the most loyal. their wealth proves it.
Ledmitz = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Ardits = BoomBoom = KillerBee
User avatar
omatt
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 103
Joined: 31 May 2015, 22:20
Location: Innsmouth

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by omatt » 08 Aug 2016, 21:32

But why a rare can be just obtainable by a seasonal quest ?
Why don't make "hard" quest like Love triangle quest or Illia sister ?
Because seasonal is great, but it's something like a "distribution of items".
I'm so happy when i finish a Love Triangle quest, was so hard to reach lvl85, so hard to farm all items, and happy to dye and wear the robe ! (not really the hat, because i can't find how match with my gear)

Btw, not many high level quest, maybe time to make very high level quest for very beautiful hat :3
User avatar
Ledmitz
Developer
Developer
Posts: 227
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 23:40
Contact:

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by Ledmitz » 09 Aug 2016, 02:14

Hey Dragoon... Here I am calling you a troll and now I can't stop. Takes one to know one, I guess, eh? haha! anyways...
omatt wrote:But why a rare can be just obtainable by a seasonal quest ?
I'm with you and not. I like the idea of there being a guarantee that no quest will give that particular rare anymore, but only for a certain time. I'd like to see items recycled instead of entering the void too, but it should be long enough that it will go up in value... right until it gets re-entered and then the value will crash. Then everything is renewable at some point, keeping prices within reason OR ... I always thought that GM's at certain events or even NPC's like Illia Chest or certain mobs give a very rare chance at receiving a random no longer obtainable item as a bonus item. I think this would work well. I have not heard of anyone getting the dark helm yet from Krukan so this seems doable and keeps the machine random instead of certain items being picked.... Items entered would have to have TMWC, or equivalent, approval first and should fit a category for each 'prize' like super rare hat/mask, normal rare, rare 'non-equipable' item... blah blah .. you get the point, as long as the prize doesn't range from a Bent Needle to a Jester Mask and nothing that is currently available from another quest.

I really have to learn to shut up.
Ledmitz = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Ardits = BoomBoom = KillerBee
User avatar
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 533
Joined: 03 Jan 2010, 22:39

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by mistergrey » 09 Aug 2016, 10:17

omatt: I understand what you mean, but there are a lot of differences between an item that is only available to high level players and one that is only available every 2-3 years. Items that you can get from quests like Illia's and Reid's inn are cool and quite rewarding, but these only benefit one group of players (high levels) - their rewards are valuable because they're hard to get and not everybody has a bunch. Rewards from an event like Christmas, for example, are usually open to lower level players - and because they aren't available all year, those prizes don't necessarily have to be some amazing equipment to be popular with players. The appeal of temporary unobtainables is that for a while, those who have them feel exclusive, or have something cool to gift their friends.

To follow that up, you could say it would be fine to have yearly events with the same rewards - but would it really? Once you've done the same Christmas or Halloween event a time or two, it will become kind of boring, especially if it's just to get more of the same reward you got last time. This would not be very fun for longtime players, and if they get bored of the event and don't do it... who will help the new players who are excited for the quest? :P

Ledmitz: Ah, I completely agree that having "rare drops" is a really fun alternative to "rare unobtainables". I might be wrong, but doesn't the reaper have a tiny chance of dropping Skull Masks? I think a lot of things became old and super valuable because they were planned for later content releases that never came to be (like the Scarab Armlet), and I guess nobody wanted to reuse them until they had a proper quest/area made for them. It's a pity, it's really funny when something that was unobtainable gets cycled back in and the market prices go way down - and I say that after having refused an offer of several million GP for a Pear, right before it became a common drop. The economy is a cruel and merciless master, heh.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
User avatar
omatt
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 103
Joined: 31 May 2015, 22:20
Location: Innsmouth

Re: [DIS] TMW data merge & the economy

Post by omatt » 09 Aug 2016, 10:45

mistergrey wrote:Rewards from an event like Christmas, for example, are usually open to lower level players - and because they aren't available all year, those prizes don't necessarily have to be some amazing equipment to be popular with players. The appeal of temporary unobtainables is that for a while, those who have them feel exclusive, or have something cool to gift their friends.
That seem like freemium item, but without the feeling to be a fish.
Personally I don't love this, but well, I'd rather the item is bound to the player.
Post Reply