Artis city map

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Artis city map

Post by Reid »

I won't spoil any screenshot of the map during the early development stage, but I have some "problems" with the map size... it's actually more than 3* the size of hurnscald+surrounding, for just the city.

With our walk delay change, could it be a problem? It could be bad that the player waste 1h to go from a point A to B in the city...
I want to apply the same map size (300*200tiles with just 20pixels of restricted size on each side) for every other maps, could it be a problem for the server to support this size with npc+players in there?
Does the client will be ok with this?

Now that we set the graphic quality high, the map follow it. :>

Current progress: I'm drawing the common lines on a blank map for now, to check if the size is ok, right now, it's ok.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: Artis city map

Post by WildX »

Change the walking speed?

TMW Team member

Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

How many city maps will be in city?
In old talks it should be atleast 2x2 maps.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

WildX wrote:Change the walking speed?
Why? We changed it because it was way too fast for travelling through maps, we might have this problem back.
4144 wrote:How many city maps will be in city?
In old talks it should be atleast 2x2 maps.
Only one map, is it a problem?
I don't see how to cut that one in two. alt25
-- Ford Prefect
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Current progress: I've done the general shape of the city, I placed every house (some are still not done), most area exited the concept step, now I just need to polish everything and to add some accessories and more flora.
I also added the first indoor map today.
-- Ford Prefect
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Well, there is (or was) the gm command @speed, which changes the speed delay.
What if we add a script to reduce the delay when you enter the city, and increase when you leave?

So, by example, when you arrive at the city, a script is run which changes your speed delay to 150. When you die, leave, enter the swears etc. we change the speed back to 200.

We could make this script:
A - Check everytime if your map is the town and change based on it.
-> But it's kinda CPU costly. The problem is not keep reseting the speed because we can use flags and variables to store it.

B - Change the speed upon entering/quitting the city.
-> Implementation problem. You'll need make sure that the script is run, what can be hard considering revive etc.

Any suggestions? ^-^

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

jesusalva wrote:Well, there is (or was) the gm command @speed, which changes the speed delay.
What if we add a script to reduce the delay when you enter the city, and increase when you leave?

So, by example, when you arrive at the city, a script is run which changes your speed delay to 150. When you die, leave, enter the swears etc. we change the speed back to 200.

We could make this script:
A - Check everytime if your map is the town and change based on it.
-> But it's kinda CPU costly. The problem is not keep reseting the speed because we can use flags and variables to store it.

B - Change the speed upon entering/quitting the city.
-> Implementation problem. You'll need make sure that the script is run, what can be hard considering revive etc.

Any suggestions? ^-^
The second solution would be the best, revive place are run with a script, a script which call a function, so adding a check on the function wouldn't cost much.
Such thing could also work with different concept that I had for the city, but I wonder if it's worth it. Let's try a closed in-game test with no walkspeed change in the first time.
-- Ford Prefect