Random Spawn

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Random Spawn

Post by Superkoop »

I've had an idea for how respawning could work:
In the beginning of the game, players will be respawned to a church/abbey/temple where nuns take care of them, and nurse them back to health. (well, that would be the story) The monsters outside of this abbey (I'm just going to call it an abbey since I think it would fit in the nicest having religious women take care of people out of the goodness of their hearts) would be really easy, something of similar strength to maggots. The health that would be regained when you start from the abbey would be very minimal.

But after you progress in the game, you will be go to new towns. In each of the towns, there could be a hospital. And if you buy some "insurance" from the hospital, you will be able to respawn from that hospital instead of the abbey. You would need to purchase "insurance" from each hospital from each town in order to respawn there. And would respawn at the hospital nearest where you died (actually I think it should be termed, "fainted" or some other term for losing consciousness since the player didn't actually "die" they were just injured to a point where they are no longer conscious and they then had to be healed) and where you have purchased "insurance" from. So if you didn't purchase insurance from the nearest hospital, you would need to be deported to the next nearest hospital in that town. Or if you don't own any insurance, you would go to the abbey.
I think this way people won't be able to 'cheat' the system by dying and going somewhere quicker than they could by walking. They would always go to the nearest hospital to which they own insurance.

The insurance could have multiple 'levels', like if you get the cheapest insurance offered, you would only be healed very minimally. But if you purchased the most expensive insurance plan, you could be healed a much larger amount. (the cheapest would be really cheap since you are basically just paying to respawn there, so it would be like 100g. But the most expensive could cost like 500,000g or more since you are also paying to respawn with a larger amount of health.)

Also, this could be a way to add a story to why you lose a small amount of money when you die. Like when you die, you have to pay the hospital a small fee. You wouldn't need to pay money to the abbey at the beginning of the game, but after you have progressed in level and are making more money, you end up having to give a 'donation' to the abbey when you respawn there.

That's my idea for this at least. Since it would add in more depth to when you faint/die, instead of just respawning, you would go to a hospital instead.

<edit> longer than I thought it would be, sorry for the novel. :oops: </edit>
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Superkoop wrote:I've had an idea for how respawning could work:
In the beginning of the game, players will be respawned to a church/abbey/temple where nuns take care of them, and nurse them back to health. (well, that would be the story) The monsters outside of this abbey (I'm just going to call it an abbey since I think it would fit in the nicest having religious women take care of people out of the goodness of their hearts) would be really easy, something of similar strength to maggots. The health that would be regained when you start from the abbey would be very minimal.

But after you progress in the game, you will be go to new towns. In each of the towns, there could be a hospital. And if you buy some "insurance" from the hospital, you will be able to respawn from that hospital instead of the abbey. You would need to purchase "insurance" from each hospital from each town in order to respawn there. And would respawn at the hospital nearest where you died (actually I think it should be termed, "fainted" or some other term for losing consciousness since the player didn't actually "die" they were just injured to a point where they are no longer conscious and they then had to be healed) and where you have purchased "insurance" from. So if you didn't purchase insurance from the nearest hospital, you would need to be deported to the next nearest hospital in that town. Or if you don't own any insurance, you would go to the abbey.
I think this way people won't be able to 'cheat' the system by dying and going somewhere quicker than they could by walking. They would always go to the nearest hospital to which they own insurance.

The insurance could have multiple 'levels', like if you get the cheapest insurance offered, you would only be healed very minimally. But if you purchased the most expensive insurance plan, you could be healed a much larger amount. (the cheapest would be really cheap since you are basically just paying to respawn there, so it would be like 100g. But the most expensive could cost like 500,000g or more since you are also paying to respawn with a larger amount of health.)

Also, this could be a way to add a story to why you lose a small amount of money when you die. Like when you die, you have to pay the hospital a small fee. You wouldn't need to pay money to the abbey at the beginning of the game, but after you have progressed in level and are making more money, you end up having to give a 'donation' to the abbey when you respawn there.

That's my idea for this at least. Since it would add in more depth to when you faint/die, instead of just respawning, you would go to a hospital instead.

<edit> longer than I thought it would be, sorry for the novel. :oops: </edit>
The new server will have a better death system.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

I was sure I responded to this earlier... go figure.

Anyway, from what I've heard through the bits and pieces I've been able to see, the developers have a different approach to this issue besides respawn points. It's not my place to say anything simply because I'm not an official developer and I don't know the official plans (I'm sure they're written down somewhere but, meh.)

Anyway, perhaps this is a moot topic.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek