Login or password problems? Case sensitivity is enforced

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Login or password problems? Case sensitivity is enforced

Post by Nard »

Subject: Login or password problems? Case sensitivity is enforced
tux9th wrote:Whoever has problems logging in please send an email to passwords at themanaworld dot org

Either send this email from the address the account is registered from or include the email address in the mail, also include the account name.

If you want to reset your password please say so, if you only require the correct case of your username say so as well.

what does correct case mean:
since the recent code update you have to type in your account name in the correct form, which means there is a difference between Test and test or tesT. If you registered your account name with Test, you have to now login with the accountname Test. Earlier you could login with test as well. For further information checkout the news from 2013-09-03

Administrators will then handle your request. Your account is not lost, your account has not been deleted!

Thanks for your attention.
Freeyorp101 wrote:The password/account recovery email address has been updated.

---Freeyorp
Sorry to copy these posts, but , in my opinion, they are misplaced and should probably made sticky. Please edit, move and delete this post, if necessary, for best presentation and access.
:!: The mail address is missing here.
I also think that this information could have an easier access: a Troubleshooting or FAQ wiki page, which could also be linked to from the site home page.
Thanks to Gina for the reminder.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Login or password problems? Case sensitivity is enforced

Post by o11c »

Your inability to read the email address in slightly-spambot-resistant form is not our problem.

Nor is your inability to notice that it is, in fact, already in the announcements section - not just in one forum, but in *every* forum.

If anything, I would *remove* it, since it's been quite a while, most people just want a normal password reset now.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:Your inability to read the email address in slightly-spambot-resistant form is not our problem.

Nor is your inability to notice that it is, in fact, already in the announcements section - not just in one forum, but in *every* forum.

If anything, I would *remove* it, since it's been quite a while, most people just want a normal password reset now.
Sorry to have trolled again and to show once more my disabilities and stupidity.

I posted just because 2 players contacted me (us) and I could not quickly answer.

Thanks for your kind and useful reply, /me stops writing Troubleshooting/FAQ" wiki page.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Ginaria
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ginaria »

A player asked me today, what he must do, because he forgot password.
So I searched... and gone to IRC chat first to type !reset (i remembered that), so i found the thread, but the slightly-spambot-resistant form confused me too, because it was uncommon for me. So i talked with some at TMW and Nard posted just to make problem public, because probably other have similar problems. Cassy explained me and now its totally easy to understand. Probably a link at homepage under registration would be a better place to easy find (just an idea).
o11c wrote:Your inability to read the email address in slightly-spambot-resistant form is not our problem.
Saying things like "is not our problem" or "your inability" is never helpful and i expect more of an admin.:alt-4:
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

In case you cannot write it yourself, the following code can be included on any web page, including a wiki one.
http://freecontactform.com wrote:

Code: Select all

<?php

if(isset($_POST['email'])) {

// EDIT THE 2 LINES BELOW AS REQUIRED

$email_to = "you@yourdomain.com";

$email_subject = "Your email subject line";

function died($error) {

// your error code can go here

echo "We are very sorry, but there were error(s) found with the form you submitted. ";

echo "These errors appear below.<br /><br />";

echo $error."<br /><br />";

echo "Please go back and fix these errors.<br /><br />";

die();

}

// validation expected data exists

if(!isset($_POST['first_name']) ||

!isset($_POST['last_name']) ||

!isset($_POST['email']) ||

!isset($_POST['telephone']) ||

!isset($_POST['comments'])) {

died('We are sorry, but there appears to be a problem with the form you submitted.');      

}

$first_name = $_POST['first_name']; // required

$last_name = $_POST['last_name']; // required

$email_from = $_POST['email']; // required

$telephone = $_POST['telephone']; // not required

$comments = $_POST['comments']; // required

$error_message = "";

$email_exp = '/^[A-Za-z0-9._%-]+@[A-Za-z0-9.-]+\.[A-Za-z]{2,4}$/';

if(!preg_match($email_exp,$email_from)) {

$error_message .= 'The Email Address you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';

}

$string_exp = "/^[A-Za-z .'-]+$/";

if(!preg_match($string_exp,$first_name)) {

$error_message .= 'The First Name you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';

}

if(!preg_match($string_exp,$last_name)) {

$error_message .= 'The Last Name you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';

}

if(strlen($comments) < 2) {

$error_message .= 'The Comments you entered do not appear to be valid.<br />';

}

if(strlen($error_message) > 0) {

died($error_message);

}

$email_message = "Form details below.\n\n";

function clean_string($string) {

$bad = array("content-type","bcc:","to:","cc:","href");

return str_replace($bad,"",$string);

}

$email_message .= "First Name: ".clean_string($first_name)."\n";

$email_message .= "Last Name: ".clean_string($last_name)."\n";

$email_message .= "Email: ".clean_string($email_from)."\n";

$email_message .= "Telephone: ".clean_string($telephone)."\n";

$email_message .= "Comments: ".clean_string($comments)."\n";

// create email headers

$headers = 'From: '.$email_from."\r\n".

'Reply-To: '.$email_from."\r\n" .

'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

@mail($email_to, $email_subject, $email_message, $headers); 

?>

<!-- include your own success html here -->

Thank you for contacting us. We will be in touch with you very soon.

<?php

}

?>
Save the files above. Once you edit the form to fit with your design, you are ready to put it live.
We now have a complete contact forms available with built-in anti-spam protection.
100% full source-code provided - click here for full details.
You may prefer this one:
http://jemsmailform.com/ , https://github.com/jemjabella/PHP-Mail-Form
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Nard I agree, I was talking in IRC last night with Cassy how:
1) The email addresses could be easily made into a Image.
2) The reset could be a form unto itself.
3) People are looking for a "Reset Password" or "Forgot Password" form/button.
4) People want better account management in general. (change/add info, character copy, etc.)
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Ginaria wrote:Saying things like "is not our problem" or "your inability" is never helpful and i expect more of an admin.:alt-4:
If you (or some random noob) had been the one asking, I would have attempted to help. But as a living, thinking, creature, I have learned that when Nard asks for help, he is just wasting everyone's time.

Since apparently this time it actually *is* an issue, I've edited the reset post to put the email address inside <> to make it stand out more.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

It's a global annoucement so it's visible in all forums. but redundancy never hurts. it's just harder to maintain.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote: If you (or some random noob) had been the one asking, I would have attempted to help. But as a living, thinking, creature, I have learned that when Nard asks for help, he is just wasting everyone's time.

Since apparently this time it actually *is* an issue, I've edited the reset post to put the email address inside <> to make it stand out more.
First I did not ask for any help especially to you o11c, because I would have got a quicker, faster and kinder answer from any one else in the development team. I just made a suggestion that it was possible to follow or not.
In 4 years of contributing to this forum; I learned that it was mostly useless to ask you anything since your replies arrive at a random time between 5mn such as this nice one, and a year, for some others, when they ever arrive... If I was the only one in this case it would have no importance.
You are right, I didn't read the post deeply enough.
How to enlighten an sentence? examples:
  • < I've edited the reset post to put the email address inside <> to make it stand out more.>
  • I've edited the reset post to put the email address inside <> to make it stand out more.
  • I've edited the reset post to put the email address inside <> to make it stand out more.
not to speak about the size tag.

I speak now to reasonable persons:
The reason why I posted is because:
  1. I spent some noticeable time to retrieve this post first, because I remembered it and seeked in support forum, in the stickies, not in announcements.
  2. I found it with search for "password" keyword. Weirdly only Freeyorp's[ answer appears at the third page search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... d&start=30
  3. it appears under "Board index » General » News" and not under "Board index » Support » General support"
  4. I misunderstood the "passwords at themanaworld dot org" because of too fast reading and because Freeyorp's reply caught my eye and suggested the address was some were else. Tux's original post is certainly good enough for a news post, but it is not formatted as a help post shoud be. When you read it, nothing tells you that you are reading an announcement.
  5. All announcements may not be helpful: "Read Me First: How To Report Bugs.", for example, it does not even point to the correct wiki page...
  6. every well designed site have a problem-troubleshooting-FAQ page and some "forgot your Password/problems to login/ReadMeFirst" link placed in obvious place. example: http://forums.themanaworld.org/ucp.php?mode=login, https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... =Main+Page
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

tux9th wrote:It's a global annoucement so it's visible in all forums. but redundancy never hurts. it's just harder to maintain.
Wrong. Redundancy always hurts. It's not a matter of "it's harder to maintain", but rather "at least one of the copies *will* become outdated and someone will try to use the wrong version".

That's why e.g. elanore points to the thread instead of giving the email directly, why the wiki no longer contains the game rules, ...