Longsword Quest

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Relm
Novice
Novice

Longsword Quest

Post by Relm »

Hi, I heard we need quests to release weapons, so I wrote a rough draft of one for longsword, but it could probably be adapted to another weapon fairly easily. It's nothing too fancy, entirely located in hurnscald except for obtaining ingredients unless you buy them from players. It's a rough draft, so it's not in any proper code format. Oh and I haven't written any quests before this so yes I am clueless. Here it is:

Melinda (Hurnscald Tavern)

[available if quest unstarted] 'Sure! [Tip 1,000 GP]'
"Wh...wha? You're ser- wait... you don't think I'm THAT kind of a woman, do you?" (Scowls and motions disgust at the money) "I come from a decent family, I'll have you know, and I don't slink about like some she-wolvern at midwinter.

Option1: "But I just wanted to h-"[continue]
Option2: "I'll be going." ["Good day.", close]

"I'll not be hearing it, you! Maybe that lass Sabine who keeps stealing sweetrolls from the inn would enjoy such activity, but you had best keep your paws to yourself in here."

Option1: "Oh, but I don't have any paws." ["Oh, well now you've really gone off, ya smartallecky spawn of a jack-o. Begone!", close]
Option2: "Sabine?"[continue]

"Aye, I hear she is quite the devious little miscreant, summoning stormclouds, making dangerous weapons, all sorts of ill deeds such that someone of your demeanor should avoid avoid her but wouldn't. Best avoid her, for your own good. She is usually just on the other side of town near the pond.", !advance quest!

Sabine (hurnscald outdoors)

[available if phase 1 of quest] 'There are all sorts of rumors about you at the inn.'

"Oh pay no heed to that Melinda. She hasn't liked me ever since I slipped a bit of concentration potion in her drink. You should have seen how fast she was working for the rest of the day after that, hahaha."

Option1: "Did she mention something about you and 'dangerous weapons'? I fancy to think myself the warrior part, you see." [continue]
Option2: "Neat little trick. Do try to get along now..." ["Oh it's alright. I enjoy the lake, she usually stays by the inn, it works out alright.", close]

"Oh, I see. I've been watching watching Nicholas work at the forge, and I came up with an idea. Well, I didn't think of it myself, but I saw this rather elegant design on a traveler's blade, and it really stuck with me. Here, take these details about it I've notated. I remember clearlu its cold, smooth touch, its calm heft, its dark emanations, its ruthless point... See, I was able to ask the owner quite a bit about it, reclusive fellow thought might he have been. Nicholas might be able to replicate it with some luck. I can't guarantee it would work, but feel free to take your chances at the forge." '[You put the girl's sketchy weapon diagrams in a hidden compartment of your inventory]' !advance quest!

Nicholas (Hurnscald, in smithy)

[available if phase 2 of quest] 'Take a look at these diagrams'

[Nicholas takes a quick glance] "What is this rubbish? Whoever drew these has naught a clue 'bout the art of smithing weapons. A blade without an edge? Psha! How would you cut anything? Moreover, this recipe is so likely to fail that as a professional matter I must refuse to participate. I doubt even my apprentice Peter would attempt this. Don't ask him, he'd just botch it." !advance quest!, close

Peter (Hurnscald, in smithy)

[available if phase 3 of quest] "Your master refused to make this weapon in these diagrams. Is there anything way this could be crafted?"

[Eyes them over tentatively, then slowly gets excited] "Oh wow, this is quite an interesting idea, but the instructions are very incomplete, and I would have to do a lot of guesswork. I'm sure my master could do it better than me, but he had a bad experience recently where a client demanded repayment for materials lost in a very risky piece they wanted, and it ended up being very unprofitable for him. But I think I could learn a lot by making this, though it could take several tries, if that's alright with you.
"The schematic calls for one each of spectre, wisp and poltergeist powders, five iron ingots, twenty coals, the skin of a snake, a raw log, one blood stone, and a soul. Now, I have no idea where you would get a soul and all the rest, but if you do I'll try to hammer it all into this blade for you."[!advance quest!, close]

[available if phase 4 of quest or higher, but not finished]"Here are all of the materials for the longsword! (Spectre Powder, Wisp Powder, Poltergeist Powder, 5 Iron Ingot, 20 Coal, Snake Skin, Raw Log, Blood Stone, Soul)

[If all items present, remove them and continue.]
[If some items are missing]"You're missing some things. Come back when you have them all." [close]

"Alright, I'm going to try this! Wish me luck, as I'll be needing it!"

Option:Continue

"[Peter begins heating the fire, hammering the steel in a flurry. You cringe as you see the metal barely under his control, flopping about, but you feel hope as you see the soul running across the metal, seeming to bind it, eerily. Your attention fades seeming only for a moment, but then you come back to and see him holding a finished blade in front of you.]"

If quest phase + random int from 0 to 3 inclusive is less than or equal to 6, then
/failure
(quest phase) = (quest phase) + 1
"I'm so sorry. I tried my best to follow these diagrams, but this is just an ordinary sword this time. I think I learned something though. Maybe I will be able to try again, if you would permit? Feel free to keep what I made, even if it's not much."
give player Short Sword
Else
/success
"Wow! It actually worked, I can hardly believe it! I feel proud, like I am a much better smith, and maybe soon I won't be a mere apprentice, maybe? Nah, that's probably too optimistic. Thanks though, and enjoy your longsword."
give player longsword
end quest
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Longsword Quest

Post by wushin »

I'd suggest though making the main NPC either the Smith in the GY Inn or the Smith in Nivalis.
Hurncald has enough Quests and Tulsimahrs smiths have enough quests already.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

gawd i love the storytelling u do; wushins right just put em to a less quest popular place.

again: I LOVE THAT POETRY U WROTE
Relm
Novice
Novice

Post by Relm »

Okay, my current thinking is this:

Sabine gives rusty version for noobs cheaply, somewhat more attack power or speed and higher level requirement than scythe, but same reach.
Apprentice in Hurnscald refurbishes into regular steel version,
Then it splits, the player can choose to turn it into one of these:
Dark Graveyard version, life leech like banshee but melee and less overpowered, crafted using undead parts eg powders, souls, blood stone pommel.
Ice blue Nivalis version, not sure about effects - maybe more defensive, using luck. Thinking of stabbing it into the crack in the ice npc deep in a cave with candy slimes as part of it.
Gold sun mage version, level 2 or 3 wand (or just, say, 15 magic attack without wand/confringo capability), forged in desert using heat from the sun reflected by a bunch of silver mirrors, maybe just south of the castle in tulimshar, in the gated area. A few trees are there now.

Now is a good time to suggest changes to the big picture of the quest, or point out future difficulties like for art, coding, conflicts with other plans, etcetera.

Archers, sorry, but you probably want to stick to using bows anyway, right?

Thoughts?