Command line control of home directory

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Command line control of home directory

Post by Jaxad0127 »

It would be nice if we could change the location of the home directory with the command line. I often run the game off an external harddrive and would like to keep all of the data there without having to move stuff back and forth. It's also useful under roaming profiles where what the game thinks is the home directory isn't part of the profile (my situation above also has this). Handling multiple update servers would be easier in the current code with this.
Sanga
Novice
Novice

Re: Command line control of home directory

Post by Sanga »

jaxad0127 wrote:It would be nice if we could change the location of the home directory with the command line. I often run the game off an external harddrive and would like to keep all of the data there without having to move stuff back and forth. It's also useful under roaming profiles where what the game thinks is the home directory isn't part of the profile (my situation above also has this). Handling multiple update servers would be easier in the current code with this.
If you're running under Linux, just have a shell script do "export HOME=/whatever/dir" and then "tmw" - that'll effectively change the home directory for that session (note that you'll have to make sure you have write permissions to that directory...).

Note that the SVN version already has a decent mechanism for handling multiple update servers - it creates different subdirectories under "~/.tmw/updates" for the different update servers.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Or somehow be able to store the executable, libraries, and data files on a usb pen drive ... It used to be this way a couple of versions ago.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

zick wrote:Or somehow be able to store the executable, libraries, and data files on a usb pen drive ... It used to be this way a couple of versions ago.
The application itself can be stored that way, along with the application data (everything included with the installer), but the updates, etc, can't be. I noticed while looking at the code that it's possible in the 0.1 version. Could that be backported to 0.0.25?
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

aren't the updates just zipped versions of the data files in the proper directories ... in theory can't you just unzip and overwrite the old data. yeah not really backwards compatible but whatever.