Port forwarding?

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Port forwarding?

Post by Eragon »

Hello I need some little help...how can I forward my ports (6901, 6122 and 5122)? I have no router. I opened them on firewalls but thats simply not enough. I tried with firewalls off too but that didn't work either. Searched the google but no help...but maybe someone knows how to solve this? Also, if someone knows a good program to check closed and opened ports please tell me :)
Only need to forward those ports and then my server can be on.... :roll:
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Port forwarding?

Post by Frost »

Eragon wrote:Hello I need some little help...how can I forward my ports (6901, 6122 and 5122)? I have no router. I opened them on firewalls but thats simply not enough....
If someone knows a good program to check closed and opened ports please tell me
If you have no router, then you do not need to forward ports on your router. :) Most people have routers, which is why that step is so common.
To test open ports, go to http://canyouseeme.org/
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

Frost wrote:
Eragon wrote:Hello I need some little help...how can I forward my ports (6901, 6122 and 5122)? I have no router. I opened them on firewalls but thats simply not enough....
If someone knows a good program to check closed and opened ports please tell me
If you have no router, then you do not need to forward ports on your router. :) Most people have routers, which is why that step is so common.
To test open ports, go to http://canyouseeme.org/
Ok ty but what else can block the ports? Antivirus? Any secret firewall? Proxy? Because I opened the ports in windows firewalls but they are still closed.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Why are you so sure that your problem is because of blocked / not correctly forwarded ports?

When you would describe what exactly you want to do and where exactly you are failing, maybe we could tell you some other things which could be wrong.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

Crush wrote:Why are you so sure that your problem is because of blocked / not correctly forwarded ports?

When you would describe what exactly you want to do and where exactly you are failing, maybe we could tell you some other things which could be wrong.
Crush: About the ports, when I check them in my RUN, cmd, netsh firewall show state ...it says the 3 ports (6901, 6122, 5122) are open...but when I try it online in web it says ports are closed. I also checked my firewall settings and ports are open there, but when I use web pages like http://canyouseeme.org/ they still say ports are blocked. I also checked my antivirus settings and looks like it has no firewalls.

What I exactly want to do: Run public eathena server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Are you sure that these ports are really blocked or is there just no service listening to them?

You can use the command netstat -a to see a list of all open network connection including servers which are listening to connections from the outside.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

Crush wrote:Are you sure that these ports are really blocked or is there just no service listening to them?

You can use the command netstat -a to see a list of all open network connection including servers which are listening to outbound connections.
This is what it shows when running the servers:
TCP pc-123:6901 pc-123:0 LISTENING
TCP pc-123:5122 pc-123:0 LISTENING
TCP pc-123:6122 pc-123:0 LISTENING

NOTE: pc-123 is the name of my computer.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Eragon wrote: This is what it shows when running the servers:

Thanks for the precise and detailed information. It does indeed look like your computer is waiting for connections.
Regarding your question
what else can block the ports? Antivirus? Any secret firewall? Proxy?
the answer would be "any of those, plus your ISP."
Unfortunately, you're the only person who's really equipped to answer whether your antivirus is blocking, or whether you are running a SOCKS-type proxy or a secret firewall (I assume you'd know if you were). One way to test would be to run the client locally and connect to the server at the real IP address you're using. Better yet, test from another computer on a LAN, but it sounds like you're plugged directly into the Internet so you might not have a LAN.
You could ask your internet provider if they block such ports. I'd be surprised if they were, but it's possible.

Hmm. One more thing. Can you confirm that your computer is using a routable IPv4 address? Don't post the IP here, but check that it's not in one of the following ranges defined by RFC 1918. If you're using IPv6 only, then some parts of the Internet simply aren't modern enough to see you yet.
10.x.x.x
172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
192.168.x.x
169.254.x.x (the link-local subnet in RFC 3927)
-unknown
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Or, to make it easier and compress that stuff a bit: How do you connect to the internet, what is your internet provider and what country are you from.
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

Frost wrote:
Eragon wrote: This is what it shows when running the servers:

Thanks for the precise and detailed information. It does indeed look like your computer is waiting for connections.
Regarding your question
what else can block the ports? Antivirus? Any secret firewall? Proxy?
the answer would be "any of those, plus your ISP."
Unfortunately, you're the only person who's really equipped to answer whether your antivirus is blocking, or whether you are running a SOCKS-type proxy or a secret firewall (I assume you'd know if you were). One way to test would be to run the client locally and connect to the server at the real IP address you're using. Better yet, test from another computer on a LAN, but it sounds like you're plugged directly into the Internet so you might not have a LAN.
You could ask your internet provider if they block such ports. I'd be surprised if they were, but it's possible.

Hmm. One more thing. Can you confirm that your computer is using a routable IPv4 address? Don't post the IP here, but check that it's not in one of the following ranges defined by RFC 1918. If you're using IPv6 only, then some parts of the Internet simply aren't modern enough to see you yet.
10.x.x.x
172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
192.168.x.x
169.254.x.x (the link-local subnet in RFC 3927)
My computer is using IPv6 only.
For the ports, I called my ISP and the one who answered didn't know what ports are -.-
I'll try to contact them later but I don't think they are blocking those ports.
Also I checked my antivirus (Avast webpage) and they said free edition does not have firewall and doesn't block ports if network security is off. For the secret firewalls I don't think they exist in my computer.
I can connect to the server with my other computer with my private IP so I have a LAN, I think.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Eragon wrote:My computer is using IPv6 only.
Well, that could be the reason why it isn't working.
  • NOT a game master

Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Eragon wrote: My computer is using IPv6 only.
Many parts of the Internet are not yet modern enough to use IPv6. Your ISP no doubt uses NAT to let you communicate with primitive regions like North America, so it's transparent for you to connect to other areas, but can be problematic for them to reach you directly. This should be solved once backwaters like my little town of 1,500,000 people get dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century -- probably in the next year or two. Meanwhile, only those who use IPv6 or tunnel it over something like 6to4 can see your server.
-unknown
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

If I remember correctly, the networking library we use doesn't support IP6.
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

So its impossible to have a private server...atleast I know that and I cant do it and I just will give up :evil: ..I hate my ISP!!!!!!!!
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

If I ask my ISP can they give me ipv4 or thats not possible?