Suggestion: Invisibility Potion (with pixel art)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Suggestion: Invisibility Potion (with pixel art)

Post by Cassy »

Wouldn't this effect the game play far too much?
Imagining people using the Invisibility Potion in:
  • Short Sword Quest = would become a joke as the monsters in your way can't touch you anymore, plus you don't need to ask other people to help you (catchword MMORPG)
  • Speed Skill Quest = same as Short Sword Quest
  • Candor = free win
  • Cindy = let others do the job -> free win
  • Illia = e.g. makes the Demonic Spirit spawn round, the hardest IMO, just a joke
Was is possible to talk to NPC while being in @hide?
If yes: also some NPC dialogues would sound really weird.

Anyway, as great as it sounds, IMO it's very bad for the balance of the game/quests :?
Hope I didn't miss a point in the discussion.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

evilmonkey wrote:Cool, thanks for your feedback. :)

So what is OPTION_INVISIBILITY & OPTION_HIDE2? Are these functions within the Mana World code? Or are they codes used by another platform/engine?
evilmonkey wrote: Sounds good. How can I test these commands? I would be happy to configure TMW on my computer so that I can tweak around with these settings. And just out of interest, how can I find all of these commands?
Item scripts are not documented in wiki at the moment.
By deduction, something like:

Code: Select all

{sc_start sc_cloaking, 60, ?;}
(sc refers to "status change"); I don't know yet how to use options.

Generally speaking:
(after: http://eathena.ws/wiki/index.php/Custom ... tem_Script
see also: http://eathena.ws/wiki/index.php/Sc_start )

sc_start <status id>,<duration>,<val1>[,<unit id>];
Where:
  • status id Refer to const.txt in your db folder for all effects (note: not in TMWa). Open it with a text editor then search by either clicking edit, then find, or press and hold the ctrl key, and while still holding it press the f key, then release, and search for "SC_ALL -1". Everything below this is an effect. The effects stop at "e_gasp 0" which are emoticons. It can also be a string:
  • duration: Is the amount time in milliseconds (1000 msec = 1 sec) that the status will be active.
  • val1:Typically it's the level of the skill, associated with this status.
  • unit id: Allows to start the status on an other unit, than the attached player. For players this is account id (note: default) . This parameter is optional, and can be omitted.
    Now, for the item I said, it will show you the visual effect of Blessing and cast on you a lvl 5 Agi-Up! skill for 140 seconds.
    For more item scripts see script_commands.txt in your doc folder, as well as item_bonus.txt in your doc folder.(note: not up to date in TMWa)
Ref.: http://eathena-project.googlecode.com/s ... p/status.h
note: I don't know where the equivalent is located in TMWa. Only contributors to server code can say what is actually available.
Cassy wrote:Wouldn't this effect the game play far too much?
[...]

Was is possible to talk to NPC while being in @hide?
If yes: also some NPC dialogues would sound really weird.

Anyway, as great as it sounds, IMO it's very bad for the balance of the game/quests :?
Hope I didn't miss a point in the discussion.
You are absolutely right and didn't miss anything, Cassy, this is why @hide doesn't allow to fight. Interaction with NPCs is possible with @hide, it is thus an issue for short sword (and speed) and maybe some others (marriage ? :lol: ). I don't know if it applies to OPTION_HIDE2 or cloaking. For Illia, if you can't kill you make it a lot more difficult for your team members and are more likely to fail. For Cindy, (or Candor) there is no need to be invisible to let others do the job, and it already happens :? . There is probably a way to make NPC interaction impossible when hidden except mentioned otherwise. In my opinion, a PC should not be able to do anything but move (no fight, no spell) while cloaked, the status should stand for a short time, except if you pay it with mana or health and be rather rare and expensive. If the item can be balanced, I think the idea is worth digging it.
Last edited by Nard on 04 Mar 2014, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

I already wondered why no one mentioned this before :D
Nard wrote:For Illia, if you can't kill you make it a lot more difficult for your team members and are more likely to fail.
Depends. When running away from the Demonic Spirits the mage can run as usual while the other players can use the potion and wait until the last spawn round before they attack.
This makes it a lot easier.
Nard wrote:For Cindy, (or Candor) there is no need to be invisible to let others do the job, and it already happens :?
Yeah but it also already happens a lot that those players get killed by suddenly spawning Yetis/Fallens/whatever right next to them, so this potion also would make this far easier :wink:
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Cassy wrote:I already wondered why no one mentioned this before :D
[...]
[...]
Yeah but it also already happens a lot that those players get killed by suddenly spawning Yetis/Fallens/whatever right next to them, so this potion also would make this far easier :wink:
Probably because we focused more on the technical point of view than on the content one. For the rest I mostly agree with you, and would have no pleasure to facilitate leech-like behaviour more than luck already does. Invisibility has to be paid anyway, probably more than other potions. :)
But the role of a potion, a scroll, a spell... is to make some things easier, or at least different, isn't it? the difficulty is to make it compatible with existing stuff.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

Nard wrote:
Cassy wrote:I already wondered why no one mentioned this before :D
[...]
[...]
Probably because we focused more on the technical point of view than on the content one. For the rest I mostly agree with you, and would have no pleasure to facilitate leech-like behaviour more than luck already does. Invisibility has to be paid anyway, probably more than other potions. :)
But the role of a potion, a scroll, a spell... is to make some things easier, or at least different, isn't it? the difficulty is to make it compatible with existing stuff.
Does this mean the invisibility potion wouldn't be tailored for the low-level players?

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Couldnt a simple lvl check (60+ or so) stop low levels from using this?

Also it might be useful to make this a timed potion, perhaps 20 seconds invisible or until player attacks where upon attack the player receives an auto crit on the mob he attacks? If not an auto crit, perhaps a large increase to his crit percentage.
sexy red bearded GM
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

You would have to consult with o11c if this option is still enabled in the mainline of TMWA. I know he removed a bunch of skills that bugged mobs and servers.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Big Crunch wrote:Couldnt a simple lvl check (60+ or so) stop low levels from using this?

Also it might be useful to make this a timed potion, perhaps 20 seconds invisible or until player attacks where upon attack the player receives an auto crit on the mob he attacks? If not an auto crit, perhaps a large increase to his crit percentage.
The level check is simple. It's the rest of the stuff that is concerning.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

duration shouldnt be an issue, we already have durations for the iron and con potions. The on attack bit is the only new twist.
sexy red bearded GM
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Big Crunch wrote:duration shouldnt be an issue, we already have durations for the iron and con potions. The on attack bit is the only new twist.
examples:
  • Iron potion: {sc_start sc_raiseattackstrength, 60, 60;},
  • Concentration potion: {sc_start sc_raiseattackspeed0, 60, 30;}
  • Dark Concentration Potion{sc_start sc_raiseattackspeed0, 10, 40;sc_start sc_poison, 1, 50;}
  • Bottle of wate: {itemheal 250, 0;getitem 540, 1;}
  • Slow Poison Potion: {itemheal 5, 0;sc_start sc_slowpoison, 180000, 180;}
The duration value is the first number. I guess the unit has been changed for Iron and concentration potions (sc_raiseattackstrength and sc_raiseattackspeed0) so it is in seconds.
For other examples, look in https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... tem_db.txt, in the field {UseScript} for usable items, {EquipScript} for equipable items.
example:
Bull helmet: {set @bStat, bStr;set @minbStatVal, 70;callfunc "RequireStat"; set @bStat, bVit;set @minbStatVal, 50;callfunc "RequireStat"; set @bStat, bLuk;set @minbStatVal, 50;callfunc "RequireStat"; bonus bAtkRange, -10; bonus bDoubleAddRate, 20; bonus bStr, 10; bonus bCritical, 15; bonus bAspdRate, 10; bonus bDef2Rate, -39; bonus bHit, -15;}
available bonuses are in:
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... /const.txt
evilmonkey
Peon
Peon

Post by evilmonkey »

Here is the code for an additional particle effect for invisibility:

This file is adapted from the iron potion particle effect found at https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... rticle.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
Blue-ish particles that fly up to the sky; based on Crush's Soul Menhir effect.
-->
<effect>
  <particle position-x="0" position-y="0" position-z="0">
    <emitter>
      <property name="position-z" min="16" max="48"/>
      <property name="vertical-angle" min="0" max="90"/>
      <property name="horizontal-angle" min="0" max="360"/>
      <property name="power" min="10" max="25"/>
      <property name="lifetime" value="1"/>
      <property name="output" value="1"/>
      <emitter>
        <property name="gravity" value="-0.4"/>
        <property name="momentum" value="0.9"/>
        <property name="image" value="graphics/particles/gloworb-medium.png|W:#005fff"/>
        <property name="lifetime" value="25"/>
        <property name="fade-in" value="5"/>
        <property name="fade-out" value="20"/>
        <property name="output" min="0" max="1"/>
        <property name="output-pause" min="30" max="80"/>
        <property name="randomnes" value="200"/>
      </emitter>
      <emitter>
        <property name="gravity" value="-0.4"/>
        <property name="momentum" value="0.9"/>
        <property name="image" value="graphics/particles/orb-small.png|W:#005fff"/>
        <property name="lifetime" value="25"/>
        <property name="fade-in" value="5"/>
        <property name="fade-out" value="20"/>
        <property name="output" min="0" max="1"/>
        <property name="output-pause" min="30" max="80"/>
        <property name="randomnes" value="200"/>
      </emitter>
    </emitter>
  </particle>
</effect>
Cassy wrote:Wouldn't this effect the game play far too much?
Yeah that is a good point. Maybe we could limit the power of the potion in some way?
Nard wrote:Item scripts are not documented in wiki at the moment.
By deduction, something like:
Thanks for the extra info Nard, I'm going to rummage around the eAthena site to try and find some ideas.

I wonder how we can make the sprite transparent (to give the illusion of invisibility)? Does tmwAthena support transparency? This would be a more efficient way to make the sprite transparent, rather than edit all of the sprite sheets and clothing items separately.

Here are some tests of the invisibility particle effect:
Attachments
sitting.png
sitting.png (32.59 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
side.png
side.png (32.69 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
front.png
front.png (29.49 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
evil-monkey
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

evilmonkey wrote:
Yeah that is a good point. Maybe we could limit the power of the potion in some way?
Thats why I suggested the short duration and loss of effect upon attack.
sexy red bearded GM
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

You're still completely ignoring the fact that this won't work ...

Please don't waste your time unless you're able to do the nasty stuff behind the scenes to make it work.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
evilmonkey
Peon
Peon

Post by evilmonkey »

o11c wrote:You're still completely ignoring the fact that this won't work ...

Please don't waste your time unless you're able to do the nasty stuff behind the scenes to make it work.
Hi o11c, are you talking to me?

You're assuming that I am unable to do the work behind the scenes. I'm currently studying a Masters in IT and am willing to contribute to this project (if allowed).
evil-monkey
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

He's probably talking sh1t to me. Its ok, I know that I dont know how to do sh1t. :P

edit - I peess on your filters
sexy red bearded GM