Sever Message

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Sever Message

Post by Cosmostrator »

"Server: You picked up a Apple"
should read
"Server: You picked up an Apple"
Just a small thing, but grammar counts.
-DAVe
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That's harder to fix than you think. The message consists of the constant string "you picked up a " and the name of the item that has been picked up. To correct this small grammatical incorrectnes you would have to program a check if the first letter of the item name is a vowel and use another string in that case.

Oh, and by the way, even though it reads "Server:" it is a client sided message ;) but well, you can't know that.
Last edited by Crush on 28 Oct 2006, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

The string thing makes sense, I just figured I'd point it out in case something could be done. Of course with my nitpicking the grammar in game I didn't notice that I misspelled server in the topic title :oops:
-DAVe
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Well, there is a solution :P : "Server: You picked up: Apple."
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Or "You picked up the apple"
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

or the server could be "you picked up" then for each item, it could read "an arrow" or "a beer"
Bahamut81
Peon
Peon

Post by Bahamut81 »

The client would not be overchallenged by checking the item name's first letter for if it's a vowel. The problem is if one of the programmer's is willing to invest the time to implement it, because this problem is rather small and cosmetic and other things like the own server need their time more urgently.

The effort to save the article for each item would be even higher and in the long run it's the worse solution for sure.
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Can 'Server:' be removed?
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Well you either have it check the first letter of the item thats being picked up and use a or an based off that or you just take it away.

You picked up Apple. That would work also.