Corrupted Data?

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
RedSpace

Corrupted Data?

Post by RedSpace »

When I log in and make a character and when I click "ok" one more little window pop up and say "Corrupted Data".
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yeah it's a known bug, we're fixing it, anyway the character should be created and so restarting the game you should be able to play.
redspace

Post by redspace »

Elven Programmer wrote:Yeah it's a known bug, we're fixing it, anyway the character should be created and so restarting the game you should be able to play.
Thanks. It`s working :).
But why there is only 5FPS? Is my computer too slow?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Well the actual graphic engine its far from optimized since we're going to switch the graphic library from allegro to sdl, in a couple of weeks we will have a completely new engine with great performances, so don't worry, just stay tuned :wink:
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

The very low FPS problem should be solved by now though, try the latest CVS if you want. It includes a precompiled exe file and I think you should be able to just drop in the DLLs from the release to make it work.
redspace
Peon
Peon

Post by redspace »

Elven Programmer wrote:Well the actual graphic engine its far from optimized since we're going to switch the graphic library from allegro to sdl, in a couple of weeks we will have a completely new engine with great performances, so don't worry, just stay tuned :wink:
Why are you changig the graphic lib? I found your game on allegro.cc . I am also a game coder (beginner) and it was interesting for me, what kind of games could be created with allegro. This games is very good. If i have time and nervs I will see the code, but I know that it will be so big...hard to understand it. What is the differnce allegro VS sdl. What lib would you advise me to study?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Sincerely I like Allegro a lot especially if you're a beginner it can help you creating games in no time. Sdl tough as the other devs told me has better performance. I would suggest you to start with Allegro and if you gain enough experience you will decide on your own if you want to move somewhere else. I suppose everyone else will suggest SDL tough.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I would suggest SDL above Allegro, and not because of performance. It's about acceptance (look at the shear amount of SDL ports, and the fact that there is hardly a Linux distribution without), stability (mainly API stability but because of much wider use, SDL is probably a more stable library too), modularity (SDL can be used with a lot of well supported extension libraries, you're not stuck with an old GUI API or with limited image or sound support) and ease of use (SDL has a much smaller API than Allegro, because it keeps to the basics).

Now I know there's extention libraries for Allegro too and that Allegro is pretty easy to use as well, but for all these properties SDL is a clear winner to me.
redspace
Peon
Peon

Post by redspace »

I saw the site of SDL and a basic example. It seems harder to write in SDL. Maby I will gain some expirience with Allegro and then with SDL.
I know that you do not have much time, but could I asked you some questions about the concepts of programming on Allegro on ICQ?
Like bitmap, maps and etc. I`ve searched on the net, but I found little information about creating a game with Allegro.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

I'll help you as much as I can, even if I think it's better for you to look trough the allegro.cc projects or their irc channel