Can this script be used?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Can this script be used?

Post by Crush »

Interest rates for money stored in a bank would maybe be a bad idea economy-wise. Most MMORPGs have a problem with an ongoing inflantion because more and more money comes into the game. Any game mechanics which generate money from nothing would worsen this problem.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
lost_soul
Peon
Peon

Post by lost_soul »

That thought did cross my mind. But I didn't really foresee it being too much of a problem, at least short term. In other MMPORG's there are many many more people that are actively participating. In TMW, I would have to say there is a mere fraction of the community compared to Second Life or Warcraft. There would have to be set market caps for the price of item's that drop from monsters, based upon the frequency that they drop, and the level of the monster that drops them. Rare items, as they do now, would have an open market, and would go to the highest bidder.
Interest earned in a Bank wouldn't be high .05-5% WPY, and safe guards would be in place, like withdrawal before maturity causing one to forfeit the interest. Also, account's left unattended for too long, would result all money being absorbed by the Bank. There would also be a minimal level that one would be able to open an account, preventing a flood of new players opening accounts, or people using multiple accounts to accrue more interest with inter-player money transfers. (A major problem I have noticed currently, multiple accounts for one person, so that they can acquire multiple items which they can normally only obtain once from quests or events). With those safe-guards in place, a player would have to be actively playing, and monitor their account. It wouldn't be fool proof, but I think that it would be good enough to implement, and wouldn't cause a sharp rise in inflation.
(It's not like players are required to eat food in this game in order to stay alive...I can see it being problematic in a system where the players depended upon a certain commodity in order to survive....with inflation causing a rise in the price of food, and subsequent troubles for new players and players alike, and the formation of groups controlling the supply and price and ultimately the entire economy!!.......that scenario sounds vaguely familiar to me, I wonder why.......? :wink: )

(forgot I was going to mention something else)
You could always add an income tax as well as a sales tax! Heh, but that may be a bit over-board for a game, but I think it would be quite interesting to gather statistics on it, I imagine you could write a thesis on TMW micro-economy, any CS grad students want to take on a project?? lol :lol:
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Another option would be a bank fee instead (like 5% every day). To make players want to use the bank, death could take a chunk of the gold you have with you (or all of it) so using the bank would be in your interest. We could also add checkpoints on the map that take a certain percentage of the money you have with you to get through.
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Post by Sertraline »

jaxad0127 wrote:Another option would be a bank fee instead (like 5% every day).
Man, if you're basing this idea off of real life exerience, you have got to get a new bank.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

lost_soul wrote: (I have grandiose ideas for a TMW mini-economy and stock market based upon players trade, the Bank idea is only one of such ideas I have)
I gotta say, the idea of a stock market in the game, sounds pretty sweet.

Although the only way I can really see a bank being useful is if loans are implemented. And all the money that is earned via interest from investors, would then come form the people that need loans.
And the only way I can see loans having a purpose, is if really big expensive items are sold, ie horses, houses, or boats.
Otherwise I can't see a bank having a real purpose.

I think this economy business in the game is going to take a lot of thinking over to get it right. So we best not implement interest unless we come up with a way to take money out of the system.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

The idea of an economy is fabulous, actually. I can tell you this much, however -- it will require a lot of time and effort to program properly. It may also require database changes which could take some time (unless the quest table could be used but I can see that turning into a maintenance nightmare).

Also,
It is an eathena script, but the new game is not finished yet; why not enjoy something while it is there?
Why bother when the eAthena server is getting buried soon? Nothing that's developed for the eAthena server is going to be useful (in terms of scripts) so why not instead develop that script in Lua using the SVN versions of the Client/Server? If you need to, I can send you a complete binary of both the Client and Server so you can test the script as you work with it.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
lost_soul
Peon
Peon

Post by lost_soul »

Yes, it certainly wouldn't be something that you could script in an afternoon, and would require careful planning and yeah you would have to have a database for all the data created.

I've been playing around with LUA, trying to learn it's secrets....found that it is quite different that python (the only other scripting language i have some knowledge of). It seems quite powerful, but tricky, much different that what I am accoustommed to.

Perhaps, those with LUA expertise can provide some good pointers, or lend assistance.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

I'm not a Lua expert but I can say this much: It's very much like both C and BASIC. It has C-like keywords but is typeless and follows a syntax similar to BASIC (e.g., If - Then - Elseif - End).
- Leeor

lost_soul
Peon
Peon

Post by lost_soul »

yeah, the typless thing is what I had to get used to, and the way that tables are used to represent most aggregate types, and white-space insensitivety etc...
> i = 7
> i, x = i+1, i
> print(i, x)
8 7
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

> i, x = i+1, i
That's the part that gets me every time. It can be completely confusing if one is not familiar with the language. At the same time, from a programmers' point of view, it's an extremely powerful way of assigning values without needing a rediculous number of assignment operations. For example, I use the following line of code in one of the scripts I've been working on:

Code: Select all

local fragRed, fragBlack, fragBlue, fragPurple, fragGreen, fragYellow, fragClear, fragGrey, fragWhite = tmw.chr_inv_count(ch, 15001, 15002, 15003, 15004, 15005, 15006, 15007, 15008, 15009)
Without that kind of functionality, I'd need at least 9 lines of code to get the same result. This is relatively clear and extremely consise/efficient. So thumbs up from me! :)
- Leeor

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Functions returning more than one value is one thing I still have to get used to. I can't remember that I ever worked with a programming language which allowed this.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Crush wrote:Interest rates for money stored in a bank would maybe be a bad idea economy-wise. Most MMORPGs have a problem with an ongoing inflantion because more and more money comes into the game. Any game mechanics which generate money from nothing would worsen this problem.
It is only a problem if the interest rate is high. We can have fixed term interest (cannot be withdraw until term is full) with rate inversely proportional to the gold deposited. For example, with 1000 gold, the interest rate is 8%, with 10,000 gold, the interest rate is 3%, 100,000 1%, 1,000,000 0.5%, 10M 0.2%... etc...

And gold can be used for many things beside buying food or equipments. Maybe we can have stats reset, more monster spawn, etc...
Blamoo
Novice
Novice

Post by Blamoo »

The "input" function isnt implemented on tmw... the client crashes...

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

A feature which has to be adjusted so much that it has almost no effect on the gameplay is usually broken in the first place.
  • NOT a game master

Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

How about a fund out of which you cannot withdraw money, but you get the profits?

The profits should somehow be tied to the inflation rate. Defining the inflation rate could be a bit troublesome, though.
This message used to be meaningful.