TMW Idea Playground

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Nevilytis
Peon
Peon

TMW Idea Playground

Post by Nevilytis »

Just thought ideas should be thrown around about what we all would like to see in this MMORPG and how we can make it better the RO and not just an RO clone.

No one say classes please... I got a list that will make RO copy TMW. I also suggest a cool leveling up system.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Sure any idea is welcome! :D

We can discuss everything, maybe better on IRC but we can post also main point here as well. :arrow:
Ardaen
Peon
Peon

Post by Ardaen »

Don't discourage discussion here, some of us are interested in this project but aren't able to idle in irc for hours on end.

Anyway, while playing with milkdrop one day I had an idea for a magic system that was more like a scripting system.

You could invent a simple writing system, not nessisarily alphabetic, maybe logographic, in which each symbole (word, command) has a cost (ofcourse some might have no cost, depending on the design)

For low level magic casters the spells will all be pretty generic, if you can only cast two point spells then you can't be too overly creative, Throw Fire, Fire Throw... your spell is gonna be about the same no matter what.

But as people gain experience, they can learn new words/symbols and gain the ability to string more words together in a single spell.

A melee combat player who uses magic may only know enough to enchant thier weapon with fire, or a simple healing spell. Where as a magic player may know howto create a consistant wall of fire, then a higher level player may be able to create such a wall then move it, sending it spinning off into the distance.

This sort of system could also allow for both temporary and semi-permanent enchantments. A wizard could speak a spell and it would be cast, but then they could engrave a spell on a shield (pitty the poor fool who mistypes an engraved spell on thier expensive rare shield ;) ) and that shield could have permanent effects (possibly draining the mana power of its user in the process)

Oh, and no, the spell wouldn't be typed as you cast it, you'd do something like bind a spell you pre-made to a key then later press that key to cast it.

Anyway, its just an idea I thought would be neat, but I just haven't had the time or the motivation to write an entire game just to test out said idea. So I present it here. Like the idea? If people are interested I could start putting together a simple framework/example of it.

Oh yah, and as I said in the clothes/job sprites topic. I dont think the world needs another game with a rigid class/job system. The only thing stopping someone who plays with magic thier whole life from wearing chainmail is thier physical strength. They may just be strong enough to wear it all day, and so they should be able to. If it just happens to reduce thier agility and play havok with thier spellcasting, so be it. But the limitation shouldn't be that they have "Job: Mage" written on a peice of paper in thier back pocket...
Nevilytis
Peon
Peon

Post by Nevilytis »

Ummm, since a bunch of us voted for the clothing system there should be a buying skills system or something like that where players can chose what they want to learn by trading in ability points, and for rare techniques requires a certain amout of ability points and a special item.
Ardaen
Peon
Peon

Post by Ardaen »

Soo... item and currency based.

I think learning skills should be less defined. Like you don't buy a skill, you buy training in an area, or maybe for a specific skill, but it doesn't automagically give you the skill, it mearly increases your ability for that skill.

Like, skills could be controled by a floating point value and a boolean. Chance of success/ability level and known.

The abilty/success rate increases with the use of similar skills and training in the area and things like that. The boolean controls if the player knowns about the skill.

This way you could say gain, 50% proficiency with a skill without ever using it or knowing it exists, then you learn about the skill and you can use it. (and increase it beyond the 50% limit that should be on unknown skills)

I think a system like that could be quite good. I think the game is better if the rules of getting skills aren't so clearly defined for players. Makes the game more fun to have a bit of mystery. There is no mystery in a class system or a rigid skills system with step-like levels.

Weights, percentages and curves, much nicer than simple incrementing levels in my opinion.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I voted for the clothing system because I wanted you to make your player the much customizable as possible, so you don't see any "novice" going around with the same clothes and a happy mask! (I hated that in RO)

Then about job/class, as in Secret of Mana I think you can use every weapon, but you gain experience with your weapon so If you want to be a knight you bring your swrod to level 99 or if you want to be an archer then bow at 99, but still have some spare points to level up some sword...

And sure why not? You can go to a school and learn some basics fighting/magic abilities, but only basic because no one can teach you how to become a god (apart from me :wink: )

I had also an idea about the weapon system, instead of using cards like in ro we can make something similar to final fantasy' materia system: when you're a wizard of a very high level and you have some free "materia" you can try while in battle to seal the creature in that "materia". Now that you have a living materia you can use it with special weapons (i.e. elven weapon) and you gain some of the creature power:
ex: you caught a fire rabite, you attach the materia to your sword -> now your sword has a +10% in fire damage and you can summon fireball.
If you caught a elmental, or a emigod creature you can summon it to help you in a fighting (like a cute pet :lol: ) for a short time.

Ok these are all ideas, when we have enough of them we should make a poll and see the best one (remember the last decision is mine so doesn't matter what you say, my idea is the best one :lol: ).

Then you should also know that this part regards server programming, so I don't know much about it and what can be done. After I created a stable client it's time to think about that!
Nevilytis
Peon
Peon

Post by Nevilytis »

Ummm, all this talk about classes and stuff..... but everyone is already forgetting about the Mana Spirits and Mana Stones.
Chetic
Novice
Novice

Post by Chetic »

yeah, you can't forget about the spirits. those are veery important ;)
Quote of the year:
<Sull> the diff with GPL and priced software,GPL is faster to install cause you dont have to put a crack/serial

xD