Apple Core and similar ideas

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Ces
Novice
Novice

Apple Core and similar ideas

Post by Ces »

I like the idea of a Bottle of Water turning into an Empty Bottle when used. More of that! :wink:

For example could both a Green Apple and a Red Apple turn into an Apple Core.

More potions could leave behind empty containers as well, and empty bottles could be added as necessary material when brewing et cetera. Eggs can leave behind a cracked or smashed shell. And if the beer is supposed to be drunk in glass, please reuse it; glass is valuable you know. :D

A somewhat silly but rather unique (I think) idea would be that most potions like a Cactus Potion is not turned into clean bottle directly, it first goes through a phase of gooey, unclean bottle. Which you of course have to clean if you decide to reuse it for another poison. :twisted:
Leo
Novice
Novice

Re: Apple Core and similar ideas

Post by Leo »

Maybe, we could use it for magic? Or like the acorn, since the cores aren't really that big they could heal a few HP or something like that. And I think empty potion bottles would be cool too :D
Level 74 now, wooh! xD :) (My main char is now Leo!) Image

~Invaders, possibly from space!~
Dark Lord
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark Lord »

Ces wrote:I like the idea of a Bottle of Water turning into an Empty Bottle when used. More of that! :wink:

For example could both a Green Apple and a Red Apple turn into an Apple Core.

More potions could leave behind empty containers as well, and empty bottles could be added as necessary material when brewing et cetera. Eggs can leave behind a cracked or smashed shell. And if the beer is supposed to be drunk in glass, please reuse it; glass is valuable you know. :D

A somewhat silly but rather unique (I think) idea would be that most potions like a Cactus Potion is not turned into clean bottle directly, it first goes through a phase of gooey, unclean bottle. Which you of course have to clean if you decide to reuse it for another poison. :twisted:
I think thats a fantastic idea and I would love to see it happen in-game
Regards
DarkLord

Dark Lord, DarkLord* In Game and lvl 50 Image

And a beginner pixel-artist :D

Code: Select all

Code? What code?
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Jaxad,

Is this technically doable in eAthena? And in TMWserv?

Regards,
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Bertram wrote:Jaxad,

Is this technically doable in eAthena? And in TMWserv?

Regards,
AFAIK in eAthena you can specify a script when an item is used, so I see no problem in replacing an item with another one.

I don't know the current status of tmwserv so I'm not guessing what's possible
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Elven,

Shall we add it in Mantis?

Regards,
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I don't think I'm able to answer...
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

It's doable in both. Both support use scripts. The only problem is inventory size limits under eAthena.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

I’m taking the liberty to post two proof-of-concepts that popped up on irc just after I posted this thread. ;)

The first one by Fother J:

And the second by meway:

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

These ideas have got my support.

I propose to add a mantis about these.

Regards,
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

joke :) i hope there will be a punishment for people that will throw the apple core in the nature ! that means we'll need some dustbins.

serious :) good ideas here + 1
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

Yes, the inventory gets easily rather crowded. For the moment I am disregarding that and instead brainstorm a little from the current item setup of usables.

Left-over items
Key: usable · normal
  • Empty Bottle [#1] from Bottle of Water, Bottle of Sand and the proposed Bottled XXX items
  • Unclean Bottle [#2] from Cactus Drink, Cactus Potion and Tiny Healing Potion
  • Unclean Bottle [#3] from Iron Potion and Medium Healing Potion
  • Unclean Bottle [#4] from Slow Poison Potion, the various Concentration Potions and Large Healing Potion
  • Unclean Bottle [#5] from Small Healing Potion
  • Unclean Bottle [#6] from Mana Potion
  • Cracked Egg Shell from Cave Snake Egg, Snake Egg, Mountain Snake Egg, Grass Snake Egg and maybe even the Easter Egg
  • Apple Core from Red Apple and any other future Apples
  • Peel of an Orange from Orange (might get away with something like Peel from a Citric Fruit)
Note 1: Unclean Bottles can be used through an NPC, a spell or something else (dipping it in a river!) to make it a fresh and clean Empty Bottle (of corresponding type).
Note 2: Milk is not in the list above, as I would prefer to make it a Milk Bottle instead. No cartons in my list. :P Similarily I have not mentioned Beer above and I’d prefer to have it in wooden material rather than glassware, but in either case, you do usually not drink the container...
Note 3: I’ve not mentioned “quest” items above, to save on my effort, but if something of the above comes to pass I would like to edit the quests so that for example using a Dye will give an Unclean Bottle [#5].

Lack of inventory space
Note, to save on inventory space two easy implementations of course are:
(1) Only implement a few, if any, left-overs
(2) Use generic left-overs, for instance:
  ― Both Mountain Snake Egg and Grass Snake Egg could turn into a generic Cracked Egg Shell rather than the more specific Cracked Grass Snake Egg Shell et cetera
  ― The various dirty and clean empty bottles could instead be represented by a generic Empty Bottle which is magically transformed into corresponding size and type when filled

And should go without saying, any eventual implementation of these should be prioritized for those which would get actual use, like the bottles.

Multi-use items
One thing I have refrained from putting here so far are multi-use items... To do this with items such as the Bottle of Water would be plain silly from the current lack-of-inventory-space thingiemajingie, though to do this with quest items which you’re only supposed to have one of is another thing completely... (Some art for this is already floating around on the forums.)

Mantis
Oh, and I put this on Mantis as well. Please keep general suggestions and discussion here.

Implementation
Since I suggested it I guess I should volunteer to implement it as well. :roll: That is, tell me what kind of items you figure can be used currently (if any) and I’ll edit/write some scripts and perhaps request some art.

EDIT: It might be more interesting (and less economy crowding) if these “left over” items have a drop probability so to speak.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Fother_J also made a half full bottle icon. So we can do things like: full bottle -> half full bottle -> empty bottle.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

I think this is good idea as long as there is a reason for it other than taking up space in inventory. Like the calcium from egg shells can be mixed with certain metals making it stronger somehow. Apple cores could be boiled into cider/beer ... The bottles are a great idea, as long as there is a market for them. I don't like the idea of an enemy dropping a "Cactus Potion" as opposed to an ingredient for making a potions in town, if you have a bottle to put it in.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

That is what I was thinking, while I like that there exist “useless” items so to speak, I wouldn’t like to add a plentifora of them. Especially not if they are common drops or similar.

I have a few ideas, but I have other priorities at the moment. Ideas of how such items could be used are still quite welcome though. :)