TMW Client Patch (binaryMind)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: TMW Client Patch (binaryMind)

Post by Crush »

I think magic on Manaserv is something we shouldn't consider while developing a magic GUI for the eAthena client. Due to the unconventional way magic works on ManaServ we have to create a new GUI for it from scratch.

I believe that it would be a good idea to put the chat macro functionality into the normal shortcut bar (the one with the items) along with the smilies.

When it would be able to bind not just consumables and equipment to it but also smilies and chat macros it would also be a tool for casting eA magic and obsolete the redundant code of the smilie bar.

To make more space we could allow the user to have multiple shortcut bars, which can either be on the screen at the same time or switched and which can be filled by the user with any combination of items, chat macros and smilies. This is a gui solution a lot of MMOs use because it allows easy customization by the user.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

binarymind wrote:Since i was dumb enough to rely on the old GIT repository for a couple of weeks , and i don't want to repeat the same mistake, wich bug tracker should i use: http://mantis.themanaworld.org/ OR http://bugs.manasource.org/ ?
We are still in the process of moving all technical development to Manasource.org.

The old mantis.themanaworld.org should no longer be used for technical problems/requests in favor of mantis.manasource.org, but there are still tons of important issues listed on manaworld which haven't got a corresponding ticket on manasource yet.

New tickets should be created on manasource. When working on an issue previously published on manaworld the ideal way would be to create a copy of it on manasource and request the ticket on manaworld to be closed. But I don't really expect that many people will follow this course of action in reality.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

binarymind wrote:And now, a question:
Since i was dumb enough to rely on the old GIT repository for a couple of weeks :oops:, and i don't want to repeat the same mistake, wich bug tracker should i use: http://mantis.themanaworld.org/ OR http://bugs.manasource.org/ ?
Please use the second for client/server issues (except for eAthena itself).
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,
When it would be able to bind not just consumables and equipment to it but also smilies and chat macros it would also be a tool for casting eA magic and obsolete the redundant code of the smilie bar.

To make more space we could allow the user to have multiple shortcut bars, which can either be on the screen at the same time or switched and which can be filled by the user with any combination of items, chat macros and smilies. This is a gui solution a lot of MMOs use because it allows easy customization by the user.
:arrow: I like the idea. It has my support.

Technically, yes, the kind of shortcut could simply be typed, to make the gui handle the action linked to the shortcut correctly.
It would also mean having multiple instance of a generic shortcut bar. The point to be thought upon is how we handle this in configuration, And how the user activate, remove them, link the shortcuts to a key, etc...
Also, if a player can have several shortcut bars, it would also cool if he could name them.

It's a not a that simple solution, but a very nice one to have.

Does someone else would basically support this idea?

On the other hand, for now and keep simplicity, we could add a magic shortcut bar, the corresponding book and 'just' add the add/manage/remove gui stuff.

What do you all think?

Best regards.
binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

I don't know about mixing items and chat macros in the same shortcut bar, but i think it would be relatively easy to adapt my shortcut bar to englobe both chat macros and emotes, therefore getting rid of the emotes button, window and shortcut bar.
What comes to mind is having a local file like "commands.xml" being generated (or downloaded) by default with only the emotes (wich would be read-only in the Book window), and a Book window with add/modify/remove buttons. That way, the player could add his own chat macros (such as spells) as he/she pleases. A probable (and perhaps desirable) consequence of the way i'm thinking about implementing this, would also be that when the player entered a text emote on the local chat tab, the correspondent emote would popup over his/her head.

If any of the developers think this is a good idea, i can work on that.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Humm.

That could indeed be a good improvement.

Crush?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When you add a "chat phrase library" I would suggest to present the gui in a list format instead of a grid format. But personally I think that this concept is unnecessary. I think it would be less confusing for the users when the user could just right-click on a shortcut container, select "Chat macro..." from a context menu , enter the phrase into a popup and is done with it.

Regarding separation of item bars from smilies/chat bars: why?

When we allow multiple shortcut bars the user can decide how to use his shortcut bar as he wants. When he wants this separation the user is free to use one shortcut bar for items and one for smilies and chat macros, but why force him artificially to use the shortcut bars only for specific purposes?
  • NOT a game master

Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Crush,
Regarding separation of item bars from smilies/chat bars: why?
:arrow: I think this could be an half-way patch, before equipment inclusion in the final generic shortcut bar.
At least, that's the way I understood it.

Reasonable?

Best regards.
binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

About the item/chat macro separation: it's not that i think it is a bad idea to mix them, it's just that i don't know how :D, and for the time being a half-way patch is perhaps good enough.
(I only learned C, and it was a long time ago, so I have limited knowledge of the C++ language)
I agree that a list display is better than a grid (i just hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it) but the add/modify/remove buttons still seem nicer to me.

Anyway i think the best way to get things going is for me to provide you (the developers) a patch with only the Book/Command things i modified. That way you don't have to lose time figuring out what other stuff i modified, you can improve what i've done the way you think best, and things get done more quickly.
Agree? (And if so, where and how shall i publish the patch?)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

A unified shortcut system is something many of us would like to do anyways. The backend wouldn't be hard. A generic shortcut type with item, emote, text, etc, subclasses. A simple activate function that is overridden by subclasses. This isn't compatible with previous versions, though, so users will "loose" their shortcuts.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

jaxad0127 wrote:A unified shortcut system is something many of us would like to do anyways. The backend wouldn't be hard. A generic shortcut type with item, emote, text, etc, subclasses. A simple activate function that is overridden by subclasses. This isn't compatible with previous versions, though, so users will "loose" their shortcuts.
Currently items stored in inventory, smiles "stored" in smiles window.
In shortcuts bar stored only itemId, in emote bar emoteId.

In my patches, I add another storage "command bar" for spells/text commands/simple text.
And in shortcuts bar save itemId like itemId, commandId like 100000+commandId.
And now full backward compatability. I think not hard add emotes to shortcuts bar too.

In result one bar for all types of items/commands/emotes, etc.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

A good software design is more important than backward compatibility. It's not demanded too much when the players have to reassign their shortcuts after the next update.

I would propose to do it like that:

Code: Select all

<shortcuts>
	<bar id="0">
		<slot id="1" type="item" value="512" />
		<slot id="2" type="item" value="513" />
		<slot id="3" type="item" value="514" />
	</bar>
	<bar id="1">
		<slot id="1" type="emote" value="1" />
		<slot id="2" type="emote" value="3" />
		<slot id="0" type="chat"  value="Hello everyone!" />
	</bar>
	<bar id="2">
		<slot id="1" type="chat" value="#inma" />
	</bar>
</shortcuts>
  • NOT a game master

binarymind
Peon
Peon

Post by binarymind »

How would key shortcuts be defined?
Would we still use the separate modifier/key definition system?
A keyboard system that allowed defining modifier+key would be more flexible.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Slot id = the key the shortcut is attached to. We could have Bar 0 react on the number keys, bar 1 react on Shift+Number, bar 2 on Ctrl+Number and bar 3 on Alt+Number.
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

binarymind wrote:How would key shortcuts be defined?
Would we still use the separate modifier/key definition system?
A keyboard system that allowed defining modifier+key would be more flexible.
Work a more flexible keyboard system has been done. It allows full control of those.