[FND] Orum/Waric Quest Part One

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Liana
Newly Registered User

Re: Orum/Waric Quest Part One

Post by Liana »

Since things are not really fit together very well between getting past the first barrier and the way you color the torches I have some ideas for a change:

First Barrier Objective
Instead of gathering items for Orum to make the pouches and then using the pouches to allow passage I have an idea to instead gather the items for Orum to cast a magical aura around the player (Perhaps wisp/spectre/poltergeist powders involved?), and this will let them through.

Then from here when the player tries to get past a other barrier with the aura they will realize it doesn't work because the barrier is too strong for the aura and they will have to go back to Orum and he will explain the torches/puzzle.

And also please see if these ideas are good or not and tell me. Thanks
~Liana
Last edited by Liana on 22 Jun 2010, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [WIP] Orum/Waric Quest Part One

Post by Bertram »

Hi Liana,

Just an idea, hoping it could help you about it:

- Why not adding little hints in the landscape, like old stones with mysterious sayings about the power of colors, used as hints for the players, maybe.

Something like (Please don't laugh): "Colors are like love. Something new comes from the combination of the two.",
etc...

Best regards.
Liana
Newly Registered User

Post by Liana »

Bertram wrote:Why not adding little hints in the landscape, like old stones with mysterious sayings about the power of colors, used as hints for the players, maybe.
Hi, It is a good idea but I think since the puzzle is a security system that someone wouldn't leave these hints around on how to deactivate it :/. I think the best idea is that Orum explains the hints to the player (He gets them off the note).
Liana
Newly Registered User

Post by Liana »

Okay after thinking about it I realize that people will figure it out eventually and it's not really that hard because when they start out there is 3 colored barriers and only 1 torch, so they will probably try each color until they finally drop the one with the primary color, then they will have 2 torches and the puzzle becomes a little more tricky and they will have to figure out how to drop the next barrier by using the 2 torches and hopefully after dropping the second one they will realize what needs to be done for the 3rd. And of course I think in the script I made Orum offer a tip from the note so I'm sure this can be edited for once they are working on the second barrier that if they talk to him he can give a hint about combining the colors (Perhaps the line bertram made, Orum can say that there is a strange riddle on the bottom of the note.. *reads it to the player*).

So anyways I've edited my reply to take out those things that are needed.. maybe I should have left it there but oh well.

As for the first idea I had.. Since part 2 has a barrier in the entrance like this quest I sort of mapped it there before figuring out how it will be tied in with the quest but I've figured out how to do it and make it work with part 2 (and sorry for spoilers of the ending of part 1 :/):

To get past the entrance barrier of part 1, Orum will give a item list and there will be a random number between 1-3 each of spectre, wisp, and poltergeist powders and so they will gather these items not thinking anything of it and he will put the aura around them and then they can pass.. so there is nothing really special about the barrier and powders in part 1. But then in part 2 the player will find Warics lair and it's protected by this barrier at the entrance too so the player will have to go back to Sagatha and she will explain that she designed the barrier and Waric must have stolen it from her and created a barrier of his own and the way it works is it only lets through a specific immateriality which is gained by casting an aura consisting of the right amount of spectre, wisp, and poltergeist powders (these creatures are incorporeal correct?).

Anyways a pre-objective to part 2 is that the player must bring powders to sagatha and there is 4 options, add spectre powder, add wisp powder, and add poltergeist powder to aura, and then there is a option to have sagatha remove the aura completely (in order to start over).

And a random number of each of these powders will be generated for each player ex. 1-1-2, 3-1-2, 2-2-3, 1-3-1, etc. But always between 1-3 so the player must keep going back and forth between the barrier and to sagatha to add on another powder to their aura until they get it right.

Not sure if this is the place to post this since it is for part 2 and I'm not sure if I should be making a new topic for part 2 since it is a completely different quest but just takes off from where part 1 leaves off. But anyways please review this idea for the beginning of part 2 and also a little something to relate the two quests.

Thanks
~Liana

Edit:
Also I forgot to say that with this idea there will need to be a new idea for the coloring of the torches perhaps after the player finds out the aura doesn't work on the rest of the barriers, Orum will see on the note that there is also a spell to transmute some powder to use on the torches and so the player will have to gather more materials to make the powder (and also gather more if they run out and need more).. It is like I explained in one of the previous posts for ideas. So please tell me if this idea works or not so I can work on that :).

Thanks.
Liana
Newly Registered User

Post by Liana »

Okay I have changed some things on the quest and I think it is finished finally.

Changes:
- Instead of making powder to get past the entrance. Instead you have to gather items for Orum to cast an aura on you to get past the barrier. Once past the barrier more items is needed to make powder to alter the torches.
- Fixed some problems with the puzzle script.
- Fixed small problems with collision on map.

Files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?uijo4m3mez2
I separated it into 2 folders one for client that has the map and one for server that has the npc's & scripts. but I didn't include a .wlk file for the server only the .tmx map file.

Items:
For items since it is not needed to have the pouches anymore and just simple powder I created them from the generic powder sprite and here is the code and I just made the id for the item 3000,3001,3002 but they will probably have to be changed but this is just the example I made for my server and testing.

Code: Select all

<item id="3000" image="generic-powder.png|W:#c00000" name="Red Powder" description="A pile of magical red powder." type="generic" weight="3" max-per-slot="10"/>
  <item id="3001" image="generic-powder.png|W:#ffcc00" name="Yellow Powder" description="A pile of magical yellow powder." type="generic" weight="3" max-per-slot="10"/>
  <item id="3002" image="generic-powder.png|W:#003399" name="Blue Powder" description="A pile of magical blue powder." type="generic" weight="3" max-per-slot="10"/>
Other Notes:
Still there is the sagatha.txt npc file included but since part 2 isn't finished yet and i only finished the map and barely starting scripting for it I just left it empty for now but I will maybe post the new sagatha npc here when it's finished or maybe I will just post it with the files for part 2 since it is useless until part 2 is done anyways.

But the sagatha.txt file is commented out in the _import.txt file so I think it can just be taken out if it's a problem to have that there as a empty file.

Also I was kind of bored when I was writing the dialog for when he makes the powder so maybe it can be better if someone else wants to rewrite this part and also if you think there is problems just post suggestions.

Thanks
~Liana
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

liana wrote:Items:
For items since it is not needed to have the pouches anymore and just simple powder I created them from the generic powder sprite and here is the code and I just made the id for the item 3000,3001,3002 but they will probably have to be changed but this is just the example I made for my server and testing.

<item id="3000" image="generic-powder.png|W:#c00000" name="Red Powder" description="A pile of magical red powder." type="generic" weight="3" max-per-slot="10"/>
  <item id="3001" image="generic-powder.png|W:#ffcc00" name="Yellow Powder" description="A pile of magical yellow powder." type="generic" weight="3" max-per-slot="10"/>
  <item id="3002" image="generic-powder.png|W:#003399" name="Blue Powder" description="A pile of magical blue powder." type="generic" weight="3" max-per-slot="10"/>
about Item don't forgot to make these on the serv part look here
Liana
Newly Registered User

Post by Liana »

Oh sorry I forgot to post this part. But I did make it:

3000,	RedPowder,				Red Powder,			3,	3000,	5,	10,	,	,	,	,	,	0,	,	,	0,	,	{},					{}										
3001,	YellowPowder,			Yellow Powder,			3,	3000,	5,	10,	,	,	,	,	,	0,	,	,	0,	,	{},					{}										
3002,	BluePowder,			Blue Powder,			3,	3000,	5,	10,	,	,	,	,	,	0,	,	,	0,	,	{},					{}										
I'm not sure if it is correct or not but probably a dev can fixe it to how it should be when it is added to the server.

~Liana
Ghost9998.
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghost9998. »

It sounds like a cool quest
Liana
Newly Registered User

Post by Liana »

I think I won't write a very good Sagatha npc dialog so if someone that can make a npc that sounds like her can you please help? There is not very much that she will have to say and she is only a small part of the second quest in the beginning so please if someone can offer help it will not take very long I will explain the objective and then just have to write the dialog.

Thanks
~Liana
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Sagatha dialogue apart, is the quest usabel as for now Liana?

Best regards.
Liana
Newly Registered User

Post by Liana »

Yes it is fine by itself and can just remove sagatha.txt since that npc is part of pt. 2 anyways. But the quest works fine by itself. :)

~Liana
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Jaxad, Freeyorp,

Could we get this in for the next content upgrade, for instance?

Best regards.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Who wrote Sagatha? Fate?

I may be able to write an NPC that is suitably similar-sounding, but the original author would do a better job.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Ivy,

Don't wait for sagatha's author. Just go ahead.

If there are fixes to be done after that, it will be easier for the author to do them ;)

Best regards.
Liana
Newly Registered User

Re: [FND] Orum/Waric Quest Part One

Post by Liana »

I made recently a few small changes to the dialogs and made the puzzle a little bit harder and I was going to post here the update but I decided I will send a pm to poison_ivy and see if she can finish the Sagatha npc to include with the update since part 2 is almost done they can probably be released at the same time.

So if it is not added to the server yet then please wait and I'll post the update here soon after I hear a reply if poison_ivy can make the Sagatha npc or not.
~Liana