my wishlist (you may either like my ideas or not)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

maci
Knight
Knight

my wishlist (you may either like my ideas or not)

Post by maci »

just a few ideas which came to my mind
as soon as i have some more ill add them as well
  • dynamic walk speed depending on players agility/stamina/weight

night/day change with different monsters/animals at different times

dynamic enviroment like bushes .. you cut them and within a few hours they grow again

random eyecandyness like a few birds picking up food and if you come closer they fly away.. or a cat just walkin across towns randomly sure all those being will have predefines scripts so they can be just included into a town

the last point would require to have an extra file for every town/map ... it should be like that anyway.. so one could store NPC locations and other thing which happens in that town like day/night change... they maybe strange at strange places like Gaeas Heart. those script would be just useful to define stuff in a enviroment.

seasons kind of simillar to day night change .. gives certain areas a special look at special times thus could be defined with scripts as well and included into the enviroment scripts if season support is needed on tht certain map

holding a pet would be a nice thing too.

the ability to buy/build a building or to buy landmarks and a way to define own rules for this place then

having a own garden to grow healthy plants .. or drugs :p
well thats everything so far .. i may continure if sth new comes into my mind.
you may want to post sth or not. you may like my ideas or not .. you may think i am crazy and should rather shut up .. who cares :P
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
criptos
Novice
Novice

There is the sims... you know?

Post by criptos »

:P

All your ideas sound great, mostly of them, can be done with out much dificulty.

Day/Nigth/Seasons, we have a ticker, buit it will require the double of effort for artists...
Not sure about it?s feasibility... but the code isn?t so difficult.

Cuting a tree...What about a NPC without attacking back :) So in that way you can cut it :)

That random eye candy... would be killable? I mean, If is it a bird, I can shoot an arrow to it :) A cat... well.. a cat can be killed, burned, buried, :)

Holding a pet? You mean, you could have a pet, a "companion", or you want to hold it, cherish it, pat it?

The hability to buy/build, isn?t so hard to, but the part of defining your OWN rules, it?s hard... can you explain an example of this?

Plnting something could be the same as cuting tree :)
May the Source be With You
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

Day/Nigth/Seasons, we have a ticker, buit it will require the double of effort for artists...
Not sure about it?s feasibility... but the code isn?t so difficult.
i guess the efford wouldnt be that much more ... since editting existing tiles is easier than doing new from scratch .. lets for example take a plant i guess its quite easy to changes the leaves color to brown and do some litle pixel work on it to make it look like in autumn. the day/night/morning/evening thing could be made by just adding a generated color layer over the whole game maybe with a nice fade
That random eye candy... would be killable? I mean, If is it a bird, I can shoot an arrow to it A cat... well.. a cat can be killed, burned, buried,
just think of the chickens in zelda or the birds on harvest moon .. the birds cant be attacked since they are just to small but the chicken/cat could be thrown burned be hexed or whatever .. just to add some fun :)
Holding a pet? You mean, you could have a pet, a "companion", or you want to hold it, cherish it, pat it?
i mean like.. a pokemon :P you have a pet and you feed it and it grows has levels as well and can help you in fights.. maybe depending on food it will either have the abilitys to heal you or to attack the enemy

maybe i should work out a system for it
The hability to buy/build, isn?t so hard to, but the part of defining your OWN rules, it?s hard... can you explain an example of this?
you could have a set of predefined rules to turn on/off like you can allow or forbid pvp on your land or not
Plnting something could be the same as cuting tree
not exactly i guess.. since cutting a tree is just changing a already existing object/being/whatever but plantng own stuff (on own land for sure) would require to actually make a change at the "description file" (mentoined above) of the map .. you would add a complete new thing or replace a current one wih a new one
Reaktor
Peon
Peon

Post by Reaktor »

btw, day and night don't need additional graphics. You can simply use alpha-channels (dark layer) to chance day to night. Objects could have flags such as:

short int lightLevel; // 0 == disabled
short int lightType; // such as 0 == static, 1 == dynamic, 2 == flickering
short int lightColor; // some predefined palette

Then you can simply draw circle's over these objects to cancel the effect of night-layer.

As for seasons, it's possible to emulate certain seasons just by moving pallette to certain point (or using pallettescrolling with layers). Autumn can be acquired by adding brown mask, winter by modifying tile-colors to black&white and adding white mask over it... well, this AIN'T the best way anyways, but it's possible... anyways, who want's to see winter in desert? Probably it would be best to create everfrost lands with different tilesets :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i tried as an experiment to convert my woodland tileset into a night tileset by playing with brightnes, gamma, color overlay and other color filtering methods. the outcome was not very satisfactory.
criptos
Novice
Novice

Post by criptos »

Crush:

As you are involved in tile development, what is the level of effor to have nigth/season tiles?

Please use this form factor.

Only day tile = 1x effort. (Our base)
Day and nigth tiles.
Day/Season (only 1 seasons)
Day/Nigh/Season.

And, what is the average time, you would take to create a derived tile from a original tile.
Please express this in the form of fraction (1/2) for example of time compared to the development of the original tile.

With this information. We can easily calculate the level of effort and time to create seasoned nigth day tiles, and make a proyection about what amount of work could be done comparing different efforts.

(I home I explained my self) :wink:
May the Source be With You
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

that's very difficult to say. art isn't an exact science.

for different light:
maybe it would be sufficient to swap some colors. maybe it would be necessary to redo the entire shading. you got to do the whole try&fail process to find out if it works.
that means maybe a specific tile can be converted in 5 minutes, maybe it could take hours or even days to find a way it looks good.

for a different season: most tiles have to be redone from scratch because they look completely different at different seasons (trees for example).

when you want a number: converting a tileset to another season or daytime would take about the same time it took to make the original. maybe a little bit less.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

aytime could be really managed by adding a layer

about seasons .. summer/autumn may not be the problem

but winter and spring is way more complex
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

oh no, autumn would be really a lot of work. the plants have not only green leafs but leafs in many different colors. that means a shading palette for every leaf color. and that would mean to redo the whole shading. just with much more different colors.

spring and summer is easier. take the tileset you got for summer, make the colors a little bit lighter, add some blossoms to the trees and you got spring.

about daytime with a layer: believe me, it doesn't work. the shading is made for daytime and doesn't work for night. for a very (very!) bright full moon night maybe.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i made this by converting the tileset to greyscale (there is no color in darkness. everything is basically black and white) and recoloring it dark blue. that's the best that can be archived by simple coloring tricks.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

it's to blue i think... when its night you dont see only "blue" you still see colors but more "gray" and darker
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

blue works well for night. noone knows why but it does. it's an old artist rule.

simple greycale looks more like a too dark black&white movie.
Last edited by Crush on 11 Oct 2005, 19:34, edited 2 times in total.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

ofcourse blue works, but what i want to tell is that when you look outside your window (its night here) you still see the grass is green etc, your pic is blue, blue and more blue, you cant see which color everything has, its just blue. i like see a little bit of color so you still can see what color it has.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

no, you can't see colors when it is dark. you can tell dark colors from bright colors, but you can't tell red from blue or green.

you believe the grass is green in darkness because you know it is green. but if somebody would have painted it blue or red you wouldn't notice in the darkness.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

photo:

you still see the colors, its dark but you can see it.