Light & Dark spells

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Okurwieniec !!!
Peon
Peon

Re: Light & Dark spells

Post by Okurwieniec !!! »

Thank you for all answers.

I have however one more question :D

I had AC down for a blink but enough to kill my server.

Why all chars dissapeared from /save/athena.txt? Accounts still there.

I presume i need an UPS ?
You Don't Know The Power Of The Dark Side
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What you need is not an UPS, what you need is an automatic backup. When possible on a different machine or at least a different hard drive than the original files. A friend of mine had a quite successful browser game he made as a hobby. But then he lost everything to a hard drive crash because he didn't do any backups.

A backup isn't hard to set up. Just create a little script which copies all content files from the tmwAthena directory to another location with the current date prefixed to the filename. Then create a cronjob which executes this script daily. Voila, you have a poor mans backup solution.

When you want to solve the backup problem more elegantly, you can of course use a more sophisticated pre-made solution which allows incremental backups and automatic deletion of older backups. There is a vast array of software which can do that and only needs minimal configuration to do so. Many operating systems even have such a solution built-in which just needs to be switched on.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Okurwieniec !!!
Peon
Peon

I wish to thank you for your patience, believe me if i ask so many questions its just because i have gone trough about 15 years of absolutely indescribable chaos, a low quality and ugly commercial OS experience, in which editing a file sometimes means nothing, sometimes produces random effect or a complete loss of all data, and running executable is a real adventure - you never know what will happen.

After that i have still difficulties to not be afraid of modifying the files or running the scripts.

Finally i decided to run build-magic.sh again, then i checked magic.conf, and i understood all i was asking about :)
Okurwieniec !!!
Peon
Peon

Where i can find sfx procedure?

I need to see existing spell animation structure, sprites and stuff, to be able to do my own effects.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Are you asking about the server side or the client side?

The server side is simple, just put in a sfx(target, id, delay) call into your script. Such API calls are documented in doc/spell-language.

The client side is a bit trickier. effects.xml maps effect ids to particle effects and/or audio. For the format of the former I'd recommend looking at both the existing particle effects used in client data and the particle system documentation, found [here].

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
natsuki3
Novice
Novice

Post by natsuki3 »

I remember when magic was only in the testing server , when we was able to enter to both servers from the same client (sorry for my corupted english xD )
The wasnt any spells like #itenplz , #parum boo/lurk etc
the spells was like #G01 , #G02 etc
Its blue like the sea.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Yes, the testing server used the default spell invocations.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated