Poll about changes on the server

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

"The more things change... 2014-04-16 Attention Major Release" change must be deleted.

Yes. I don't want developers to change old what works. They shouldn't touch old maps and stones on those maps and the way how stones worked.
31%
No. I like changes and want developers to keep them.
69%

Total votes: 26
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Poll about changes on the server

Post by wushin »

Yeah, "rares" that are rares are fine. Prior developer snafus and lingering quest items are open game. Quest rewards are a neutral ground of whether they are rare or uncommon.

But I'm just saying if I stand on a street corner and try to sell someone a broken ashtray from a hotel by claiming its rare...
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Valen
Newly Registered User

Post by Valen »

in general most of the changes especially the new tiles and new areas are great

The random dying of towels - and deleting of towels in your inventory is horrible
Ok I get it is suppose to be expensive to dye a towel but to be impossible to choose the color?? that is just sick

And then I did finally get a dyed orange towel and when I used it it turned pink??

This is too much messing with a system that worked great before.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

This release will fix the randomness that was in the dye system. Randomness will only happen from now on if you have more than 1 towel.
Haldric
Peon
Peon

Post by Haldric »

I love the new content but I don't like this:

> The Towel random color.
> High Cost to travel via teleporting NPCs.
> The new death system. For a newbie who don't know the whole map, when he die he is teleported to some strange place. So he is kinda stuck there for a while.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Haldric wrote:I love the new content but I don't like this:

> The Towel random color.
> High Cost to travel via teleporting NPCs.
> The new death system. For a newbie who don't know the whole map, when he die he is teleported to some strange place. So he is kinda stuck there for a while.
The newbie was actually trapped on 042-2 forever. After that if they died they were warped to the same map. None of the death spawn points moved far, if at all for starting players. It's only the higher level maps that got moved.
The cost of the NPCs is cheaper now. Than the prior release.

The docks are completely free thus travel to any major port costs nothing. The entire map can be walked for free.

What you mean to say is; I miss free fast travel death provided.
Haldric
Peon
Peon

Post by Haldric »

wushin wrote:What you mean to say is; I miss free fast travel death provided.
Yes a bit like that. I told about the newbie issue because a player asked my help to get out the area he came when he died in tumlishar far desert. I am not against the new death system. Its great. No more need to travel from the city to your grinding position. Also today i was killed 5 times in terror cave and thanks to new death system I was back in cave in just few seconds.
Johanne Laliberté
Novice
Novice

Post by Johanne Laliberté »

Hi!

I like all the new maps and graphics and transport. I hope from the developers to think of a good scenario for a quest for this beautiful castle.

You did nice works! :)

Ok now enough to talk what I like.

I'm disappointed for the quest of the crypt which requires 10 deseased hearts. Since there is already a quest with Airlia at Hurnscald asking these same items. Zombies do not drop enough of these items (1.2%)

I do not like having a huge chest with the sorcerer & Lazurite dresses.
and the turtleneck, I feel like a football player as if we had padded shoulders and It is more ugly with short hair!
Last edited by Johanne Laliberté on 22 Apr 2014, 01:40, edited 2 times in total.
Dream today, to see what we will do tomorrow.
Rêver aujourd'hui pour savoir ce que l'on fera demain.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Well this release increases the diseased heart drop rate. Along with Souls are more accessible outside of JackOs now too. Or should be unless I screwed that part up too.

I have both plans for the New Castle/Prison complex and have for awhile if you notice the sewers also conveniently lead into the dungeon part of a castle. Mind you I added those sewers over a year ago, so all this is very premeditated. But you are welcome to do a Search for The Dread Pirate Marley.

The crypts was reduxed to extend the Graveyard to prepare it for the Underworld maps (maps & items done. partial scripting is done as well)

All of what we added gives us the ability to add TONS of content easily.
As NPCs are now sprites and the new equipment plus sprite gives us something in the range of millions of NPC variants without considering new Races/Species we could add.
Amarynthus
Novice
Novice

Post by Amarynthus »

I'm not going to vote as ... well voting just seems silly for several reasons (does the vote matter, this is not a democracy; are there options to represent real views or are the options themselves polarizing; etc).

I am very new to TMW, but so far I love it. Great work and many thanks to all the devs, content creators, and GMs or other contributors that keep this running. While new to TMW I am active in open source software development and with that I'd offer the one peice of advice: when someone offers you something for free, don't complain - say thank you.

In the specific case of a game like this, I've also seen seasoned high-level players complain that there is nothing left to do once all the quests are completed, items obtained, and maps explored. An occasional upheaval in "the way things were" should be welcomed by these users: this keeps the game fresh and new. As a noob there are *lots* of rare items I look forward to someday finding/earning. But the fun is in pursuing them. Once I have them I feel no need to show them off as some status symbol - so if they later become common, that's cool with me just as long as there are new rare items or new challenges for me to tackle.

Status in a community like this that comes from showing of a rare acheivement is a very shallow goal (not calling people shallow, just claiming that this is not likely to provide long-term satisfaction to the holder of that rare item). Status that comes from interacting with other players in fun ways should be a much more rewarding endeavor.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Amarynthus wrote:As a noob there are *lots* of rare items I look forward to someday finding/earning. But the fun is in pursuing them.
To old players, the whole *point* of rares is that newbs like you can't *ever* get them.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:
Amarynthus wrote:As a noob there are *lots* of rare items I look forward to someday finding/earning. But the fun is in pursuing them.
To old players, the whole *point* of rares is that newbs like you can't *ever* get them.
o11c, this remark shows how bad you know players:
Some players have fun with collecting things, and any good collection has rare items.
Some players have fun with trading and make bargains, thus they buy and resell the so called "rares". the towels do not belong to this kind of things, just as 4leafs never were. They were expensive just because they are difficult to get.
This is why every good game has at least one market, generally included in the server.
The intermediary items used to become rares because developers chose not to use them later. This has been weird to me, but it was their choice. btw too many rares kills the rares when the market is not wide enough to allow significant trading.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

*disagrees*

To me the whole point of having rares is that I just love to collect them (like I love to collect every dyed version of none-rare items like Cotton Skirts) and since it quite takes a while to get one I see them as some kind of achievement.
Also there are some that just look great (Bunny & Rabbit Ears, Mouboo Head, Christmas Tree Hat, Sunglasses, Witch Hat, Antler Hat, Snow Goggles, Funky & Christmas Elf Hat, etc. ... note that after one year I only have Rabbit Ears, Snow Goggles and the Funky Hat of those just mentioned - as I said it takes a while).

I'm often bored of level grinding and go for earning money, not only by killing Red Slimes, rather than by trading.
Yes, trading can be fun and when you finally got the rare you wanted you are quite happy about it.

So I'm not wearing my Rabbit Ears to show off or to frustrate new players cause they can't ever get them (which is wrong btw, I got rares as newbie too), I wear them cause I simply love them and am happy that I could get them.
In the end I wear my not rare Fluffy Hat often enough :D

@Amarynthus: Welcome to TMW btw :alt-3:
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Crazyk8e
Novice
Novice

Post by Crazyk8e »

I cannot vote either because I think some changes are okay, and others not so much.

I like the idea of expanding maps and adding content, but I have not been a fan of the new travel system. I suspect that the numbers for people helping at Candor and Cindy quests will drop because we now have to go (from Hurnscald) to Tulim South, walk to Tulim North, and then another ferry. I know not a lot of the players use the forums, and I don't know how many discussions were had in town about these changes.

I went to the new castle in Tulimshar and IIRC the new tiles made me feel a bit dizzy :( I just wonder if others feel the same.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

You can travel directly to candor 2 ways. Travelers go there and a Towel dye does as well. Also death in candor puts you outside the cave so you don't have to do the silly log out bug, Same with any of the maps were everyone would "LogOut" glitch.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Cassy wrote:*disagrees*

To me the whole point of having rares is that I just love to collect them (like I love to collect every dyed version of none-rare items like Cotton Skirts) and since it quite takes a while to get one I see them as some kind of achievement.
Also there are some that just look great (Bunny & Rabbit Ears, Mouboo Head, Christmas Tree Hat, Sunglasses, Witch Hat, Antler Hat, Snow Goggles, Funky & Christmas Elf Hat, etc. ... note that after one year I only have Rabbit Ears, Snow Goggles and the Funky Hat of those just mentioned - as I said it takes a while).

I'm often bored of level grinding and go for earning money, not only by killing Red Slimes, rather than by trading.
Yes, trading can be fun and when you finally got the rare you wanted you are quite happy about it.

So I'm not wearing my Rabbit Ears to show off or to frustrate new players cause they can't ever get them (which is wrong btw, I got rares as newbie too), I wear them cause I simply love them and am happy that I could get them.
In the end I wear my not rare Fluffy Hat often enough :D

@Amarynthus: Welcome to TMW btw :alt-3:
+1

Also not sure if its just me but some graphic seems to be missing from the male sorcerers robe sprite when the sprite walks down. The left shoulder becomes exposed.

I have also noticed a lot of color changes I'm not that fond of =/ like the witches hat. You can't make it fit with other black clothes because it's too dark now, before you could get it to blend in with your outfit and now its way to dark to match anything and doesn't even make me wanna wear it much anymore.

I also agree with Johanne and the female shoulders when it comes to robes, it makes the female sprite look more bulkier than the male.

edit: the t-neck sweaters also now look like the males gained 50 pounds in the stomach.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.