Homophobia in game?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Homophobia in game?

Post by mistergrey »

Please don't misunderstand lol, I'm the first to laugh at about any offensive joke, and I'm not targeting the community at large or trying to be politically correct. If anything being politically incorrect is a lot more fun. I only started this topic because lately I've seen a lot of people sitting around town and talking about gay people like they're disgusting or mentally ill, and that kind of bothers me. I might think a lot of people in the game are kind of unbalanced in the head, but I don't go around targeting them because *I* find them distasteful either.

I know things on the forum can come across as more dramatic than they're meant to - the little debate with Meway in this topic is a good example. He came across as a little intolerant from things he said, but from talking to him in game I don't believe that's the case. I do apologize if I made it sound like the TMW community is a bunch of homophobes/racists/etc, because they're not, and I really enjoy most of the people in the game, and a lot of the developers, GMs, and others that work on the game.

I wouldn't have bothered reporting the players who inspired me to start this topic, since it's not like they were mass spamming me with "you're a faggot, gross" lol, it's too childish to me to deserve the effort, I just wanted to see if I was being oversensitive to one or two occasions of that kind of abuse, or if it had been noticed by others.

To be clear to anyone else who wants to say something here, the point of this topic was never to point fingers at the GMs or really anyone else for tolerating homophobic actions/statements, I was just wondering if anyone else found it more frequent lately, as I have lately. :P
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

mistergrey wrote:I wouldn't have bothered reporting the players who inspired me to start this topic, since it's not like they were mass spamming me with "you're a faggot, gross" lol, it's too childish to me to deserve the effort, I just wanted to see if I was being oversensitive to one or two occasions of that kind of abuse, or if it had been noticed by others.
It has, I have been getting the same thing done to me in the game by members i wont bother saying names of, theyre a waste of time to even mention....But when it was said to me there was an adviser at presence and they did nothing, im not gonna mention who it is because i respect them as a player and a moderator, After 20 minutes of me being offended and me advising the moderator to at least warn them, they did once.
Anyway This isnt to cause or point fingers at anybody but these kinds of things should be delt with in presence of a GM.

Cheers!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

len, you forgot:
6. RFC 1855.
I personally do not see what kind of pride someone can have to be french, gay, black, american, not gay, pink with green stars or anything like that. I am simply not responsible of it. I am proud of having friends all around the world, with various ages, sexual preferences and physical aspects. This game is simply nice for that, everybody looks the same, your behaviour and mind are the first things that count. Any form of segregationism is thus out of game rules
and must expose author to punishment.
I may add that in France, some insults, or racist behaviour is illegal and exposes author to prosecution...
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

I did not read ALL of this, because there was a lot of blabla I do not care about that.

Here my opinion:
I never did and never will care about someone's sexual/love-life. It is not important. The person is important. When I get closer to someone I will end up knowing and still it will not change my opinion. Hetero, lesbian, gay ... who cares really. It is about love that's all.
Using "gay" to show that someone is different/annoying/whatever negative thing, is stupid. You would never say "Woah you're so hetero, how could you do that?" So why would you say it with "gay"?

Homophobia has so many levels. Not only the mindless use of the word "gay" as something negative. Also loudly pointing out that "I have no problems with gays as long as they don't tell me!" Sorry, what? Seriously? If someone has a problem there are two ways, tell or shut up.
Or certainly behaving different just because you know. *What* the hell do you know? The pure fact that someone feels attracted (mind and body) to the same gender is nothing weird. It happens in the animal world ALL THE TIME! And mind you wise guys, humans are animals, too. Why would we be different?

Any type of discrimination is disgusting. Be it about sexuality, religion, skin color, or a too small NOSE!

And no, I am no angel. I am making a lot of tasteless jokes. About myself, about others, about everything. But noone ever has told me I am hateful in any way.
Context is all that counts!

In this game we do have a rule about harassing. For some reason it is (as most rules) not really dealt with. Which makes it so easy for people to really hurt someone without punishment. And the worst thing is, that one person says something for fun and before you can say "Quidditch" there is a big, bad rant going on and dare you fair person and interrupt a rant of some as***le! "peace on you, I'm going back to Italia!"

cheers
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF]
Novice
Novice

Post by Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF] »

Regarding the "Gay" linguistic aspect of the debate, it seems obvious to be only a Mother's Tongue issue.

To make things clearer let's say :
  • that "Gay" is an American word ...
  • and ... that some american people are gay ...
  • or might be gay ....
  • or not Americans, in fact ...
  • but ... not all of them (of course) ...
  • and that Fathers of Freedom weren't (honestly, I don't know, probably not Americans, neither ...)
Okay, let's sum it up as a "Really Confusing Debate" !
meway wrote:No, It is what it is. I don't like the slang meaning and I use words how I please.
Thats my right as an American.
In fact, I'm not sure about which "right", from this upper list, you are actually talking about ?
ImageImage
triforce_hyrule
Novice
Novice

Post by triforce_hyrule »

stop being so gay haters, Love IS Love!!!!!!!!!

♂ + ♂ = ♥

♀ + ♂ = ♥

♀ + ♀ = ♥
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

--Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)
Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF]
Novice
Novice

Post by Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF] »

Please, can I () enter the Joy Party ?
triforce_hyrule wrote:stop being so gay haters, Love IS Love!!!!!!!!!
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♂ + ♂ += ♥
♀ + ♂ += ♥
♀ + ♀ += ♥

Great ... I mean ... thanks a lot !

PS : Just my opinion, as usual ...
ImageImage
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

Post by DefinitelyNOTMrWho »

STOP DISCRIMINATION!!! Hate everyone equally

why are you hating on people who hate other people? That sounds discriminating to me. I have the right to hate whoever I want.

IMO minorities are sissies. They always Female dog, wolf, fox or otter about something.
Gravity is a myth, Earth Sucks!!!
Ichimaru Leon
Peon
Peon

Post by Ichimaru Leon »

triforce_hyrule wrote:stop being so gay haters, Love IS Love!!!!!!!!!

♂ + ♂ = ♥

♀ + ♂ = ♥

♀ + ♀ = ♥

yeah i agree with triforce_hyrule, ppl have choice to choose what they want...
as long as they love each other :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

♀ + ♀ = :mrgreen: