Moving Tutorial to Candor and Closer to Hurnscald [Test]

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Moving Tutorial to Candor and Closer to Hurnscald [Test]

Post by wushin »

Soul Menhir added to candor. Already was a traveler and respawn outside of it anyways, plus the towel could be dyed to take you there and still can, but it will also work as a bound menhir.

Tanisha's dialogue is a bug in Manaplus, upgrade. As we've not changed the hotkey in-line declarations since they worked.

Sling Bullets are available on the island at the weapons shop.

Typos corrected.

Pinkies from 500->300 Hp

Banu moved to a different field but left at Hurnscald as people of low level will need quests like that to help get leveling. I did increase the rewards. Tulimshar has Anwar and Eomie which is good enough.

Bernard is making Maggot soup in the Inn's Guest room, notice it has a full kitchen. Him and Mikhail are staying there as once again the lowbies will need quests. I did add a cook to Tulimshar for Kylian to replace Bernard. They are in the Castle's Kitchen.

Trader isn't needed to use the trade skill. The gp is just to learn about trading and uses the 2 gp because the guy is a trader and nothing in life is free. Plus he is nomadic as they refer to travelling. Which one day they will. So look is fine.

I put Eruni in their own room because Sex Changes don't belong in a back alley, anyone making that kind of money obviously has a nice room somewhere set up.

Mailvox, Inar Neko are in the bazaar for easy access to simple goods and services. Of which stat reset is a simple service and needs easy access, it used to be buried but people like it convenient. I did however change up the goods on the NPCs to better reflect a simple market.

Latoy's Shop now sells an assortment of high priced silk garments.

The fringe NPCs should be better placed and properly refer to the locations they guide you too.

Added a Stat Reset option on Wyara.

Moved David into the School.

Still thinking about Kaan and looking into the Nivalis changes.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Increased # of Sling Bullets you start with but reduced the damage they do by 1.

Improved the wands usability from start to end game.

Solved the whole Kaan/Hasan scorpion tossing. Kaan now summons the scorpion on Hasan.
Meicchi
Novice
Novice

Post by Meicchi »

For instance: I liked the way the Nurse quest (Resist Poison) is now being set on test. I've tried it by accident (at the time I didn't do it on the base server), and surely it is much more understandable and intuitive in the new way to calculate the potion basis. Now when I tried it on the base server I felt dizzy to guess what are the exact measures, no one could do that without looking at the wiki. The new math is way more player friendly.
SDN
Novice
Novice

Post by SDN »

Hello, I'm new in this forum, and I'm not good in English. But i have some notes to add about the test server. The new maps are nice. Quite refreshing. I like it. But so far I found these:

Candor Island

Kaan
"Are you going to visit Hurnscald? The bazaar there ia a wonderful place! Traders, entartainer, adventurer. It's very intersting."

Hurnscald town that he mention still sound like Tulimshar. Because I think there is no bazaar in Hurnscald. The only Bazaar mentioned in the game so far is what Swezanne in Tulimshar said, "Just through this bridge is the bazaar. I go to the Bazaar and shop at Neko's.

Faris
"Are you still looking for us? Nobody else is up here."

Faris may hide in north of Candor island, but he is siting on the sand. Not up the roof like he was before.

Hide and seek (Ayasha)
Need quest notification on how much kids we found, like how much mobs we kill in Valon quest.

Hurnsclad Town

Hurnscald Port
The Ferry Schedule Sign said Ferry to Candor is docking in north Hurnscald port. It should be south Hurnscald port.
The world ferry also seem mentioned in the wrong place.

Ian
When asked about Quest, he said, "If you are looking for a place to get started, I heard that the guard captain just outside the gates is looking for help." Ian is in Hurnscald, and I believe he was reffering to Leutenant Dausen in Tulimshar. Because there is no soldier outside Hurnscald and that small town doesn't have gates.

He also seem still reffering to Tulimshar when asked about Magic, but I think it's not a problem.
And I've done all the quest in Candor, but Ian didn't give me a Graduation Hat.

Tulimshar City

Gladys
She said, "I also overheard some of the children in the square talking today. I think they are having troble with some of their chores. Kids these days..." I never know what's that means, but, Tulimshar now doesn't have square, right?

Tulimshar Graveyard
And why am I respawned in that place? It's creepy. :alt-2:
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Fixed the Gossip, Kaan, Ferrys, Faris, & Ian. Hide N Seek kids now tell you how many kids you found.

(still working on Nivalis changes to workshop)

As for the GY vs. The Bed. The only established respawn spot also enabled too much death travel (Soul Menhirs). I went with GY as it's a standard used by other RPGs, MMOs. I'm not opposed to using the beds either, but thats a lot to set-up right now. The current system of where you respawn might change in the next ferw months based off these changes as well. However, going forward I'd not oppose doing, but only once this newer content has solidified a bit more.

(Yes, I caught the typo "deset" in gladys the gossip, I've just not restarted test for that)
Galaxy
Newly Registered User

Post by Galaxy »

I like the change in some parts (Trader in Hurnscald Shop) and more npcs around Hurnscald that would be noticeable to new people.
I don't like Tulmishir's new layout, it is very hard the whole thing has changed!
There is room for improvements such as placing nps infront of buildings explaining what is inside :D
I think Hurnscald, Tulmishir and Nivalis should be connected by a Bridging Point and not by taking the ferry.
~~~~~~~~~~~

- Octopus☺
Barchaul
Peon
Peon

Post by Barchaul »

First of all I would like to say congratulations. Very nice job of adding Candor City. Graphics and playability are great.

I have one bug to report. When visiting Mirak's house in woodlands north of Hurnscald. I got trapped inside. You can enter but you can't exit. The only way out is to die. The only way to die is to go and talk to Mirak again. Luckily, the man doesn't like to be disturbed. :lol:

I have been playing TMW for less than one year and I thoroughly enjoy it. It has almost become addictive.

Ok, with that said I will share my observations and opinions.

Candor City

1. From the very beginning I was a bit put off. You wake up and right away you are being scolded by some old woman ( who is she?... didn't find out that she was Grandma until talking to Tanisha). Being called a day dreamer and insinuating that I am lazy and forgetful was a little disturbing. Why does the old woman have to teach me how to walk? I have to walk over to her to even begin the conversation. Why does this old woman keep my ragged cloths locked in a chest? I realize this is all part of the tutorial, but it just doesn't seem logical to keep old rags locked up. The old woman could just give you the cloths and explain how to equip them and then unlock the chest and let you take something of value from the chest. Maybe the knife, sling shot and sling bullets, instead of acquiring them from Tanisha.
In my opinion, I like the original opening dialogue and tutorial. A stranger in a strange land, that had some unfortunate accident, weak and with no memory of anything. This person can be young or old, not just some forgetful little kid. Whatever you envision in your mind that your character should be.
Some editing of the conversation with Tanisha would have to be done though.

2. I did a test on all the travelers. When you travel to Candor, you end up next to the soul menhir not the traveler. When you use all of the other travelers you end up next to them. In my opinion, it would be better to change places with the soul menhir and the traveler. When you come out of the house for the first time you should be able to see the soul menhir and touch it to link it to the towel. Placing the traveler near the Candor cave would be better. Sometimes a few seconds could make a difference of whether you get into the cave or not, before the fight starts, when you need to use the traveler to get there fast.

Hurnscald

1. I found it somewhat difficult to find Bernard. But this might be a good thing. It makes you have to explore all of the buildings to find him, unless you are lucky enough to find him right away.

2. I like the fact that you can now travel to Nivalis by foot. This will make you more willing to explore the woodland areas north of Hurnscald.

Tulimshar

1. Thank the gods, the perpetual sandstorm is over. It always was a bit of a strain on the eyes to go into that area.

2. I like the smaller size. The long walks to get from place to place was just a waste of time and resources.

Nivalis

1. Moving the Christmas house into the city is a good idea. Much better to be close to the bank where I can access my storage after several fights with the nutcrackers to unload all of the goodies I picked up and get some much needed supplies for the next fight.

2. I like the placement of Sage Nikolai's house. On top of the mountain and for me it seemed easier to find.

3. When traveling to Nivalis by foot, I enjoyed the fact that you have to travel through some dangerous country. Being chased by wolverns and ice goblins while trying to find the exit was frustrating, but fun. I died several times before finding a good route to take to get to the exit. In my opinion, finding a safe place to go to heal before you go out to give it another try would be useful to noobs. If you placed the Trapper's cabin, which now resides in an area with no aggressive monsters, somewhere in the middle of the forest maze, could provide that safe haven.

Overall, I think you did a great job. Anxiously looking forward to the release of the new Manaworld.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Candor City:
1. Yeah, I changed the starting story because the docks moved. I could do Washed Ashore, that's pretty much the same as Stranger in a Strange Land. I was thinking about making it a dresser, as I had the same feeling about the chest.

2. Yeah, that's a bug you should appear by the traveler.

Nivalis:

3. Yeah, that map... I think I know what to do.
Barchaul
Peon
Peon

Post by Barchaul »

I found that Elanore in Tulimshar is pretty much useless as a healer. By the time I completed the quests at Candor and visited Hurnscald, I was well over level 10. Elanore only heals up to level 10. Probably might consider allowing her to heal you at higher levels or just remove the healing part and move her to the Magic School where she will teach Life magic, as that is her main purpose in the game.
Altus Institute
Novice
Novice

Post by Altus Institute »

i dont have test the news, i will do it for sure.

But about the very begining i would said this.

something is wrong with the chest?
Ok, lets start naked in the bed
the old woman give only the ragged short and the cotton shirt.
she open the chest, its for that its locked, to give you the slingshot and the bullet and the knife and the towel, BUT ONLY if you ready totally the tutorial.

Why?
Because you can create alt, and you can read or not the tutorial but when players create an alt normally they try to dont read the tutorial, coz they are old players and they dont really need weapon and ammo.
And they dont want to waste their time with the tutorial.
So in this case they will start with the ragged short and the cotton shirt, no bullet, no knife, no slingshot, no gp.
They dont have a towel?
Just ask to the soul menhir to get one.

Why a ragged short instead a cotton short?
Because the guy must kill maggots, he have some weird task to do. imo.

Ty
19:24:32 wushin So, can you do something?
19:24:52 Altus I can do nothing.
19:25:07 wushin So you are highly capable of doing nothing?
19:25:20 Altus yerp =D
19:25:31 wushin Crap, im only highly capable of doing something...=/
19:25:34 cassy Its ok wu-wu, we all needs to start somewhere...
19:25:43 deepthought wtf
19:25:46 wushin .....
19:25:52 cassy *pokes* deepthought
Ange Alus Banshee User
Remus Bull Rager Warrior Lv99
Maulne Bull Rager Warrior
Basilic Lazurite Dark Speed Mage
Shikid
Newly Registered User

Post by Shikid »

I liked the new face of Candor and starting but totaly not amazed with tuli and desert - it is looks like noobish crap - if i was a newbie i wont continued that game after visiting Tuli (especially snake pit and caves). We loved manaworld - cause it is a challenge in some way - it is not so easy to start but more hard to left that game - but if we make all simple and easy - that would be some f.ckin Angry birds but not that old style Indy RPG we play and love. To my mind, you guys should not shorten the maps - but instead add more quests, NPC, etc.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Atlas if you tell Sorfina you already know whats going on she gives you the stuff and you can go on your way, skipping the house part of the tut. Also I'm changing the chest to a Dresser.

Shikid,
Shikid wrote: if i was a newbie i wont continued that game after visiting Tuli (especially snake pit and caves).
This is whats happening to the New Players, they are quitting on these maps before the start. The #1 complaint, it's too big and hard to findstuff.
Shikid
Newly Registered User

Post by Shikid »

Maybe in that way will be good idea to make start area as new Candor - but nor make tuli desert and town smaller? Let people go there when they became stronger and more skilled - those, who doesnt fear large areas and maps :alt-6: To my mind - you can easilly cut out north-west part of desert with old starting area and pirates, but southern regions and desert near druid cave is better to be as it was/ Of course - thats only mine opinion, but you are interested in it - so I am sharing then )) Anyway - thanks for your work!
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Updated test, fix Nivalis Xmas getting tossed out.

Swapped Orum/Crack to consider directional awareness of under the Inn.

Partly protect players from wolvern by partial wall on over land route, Ice Goblins and wolvern still be there, just not at the door unless someone is trolling the door.

Adjusted warps on 17-1/017-3 as they did the looping thing when you are heading the same direction as the warp is on the next map.

Old story added back to Tutorial with added flavor. Bits shuffled around on Candor Soul Menhir, traveler, Aiden/Ishi.

Fixed Notes in Wizard's house.

Adjusted and corrected dock and boarding placement.

Raised level to 20 on elanore.

Still working on adding NPCs to the inside of Tulimshar Inn.
Celestia
Peon
Peon

Post by Celestia »

I tested it earlier today and found the update to be very well done, especially the starting area in Candor. I like how it is both small enough for everything to be easy to find and a safe place so one does not have to worry about wandering out the wrong way and meeting black scorpions. With the exception of the typing error that has already been pointed out I did not notice anything that needs attention.