enable/disable trading shortcut (r)

Development discussions for TMW's official client, alternative clients and client adaptations.

enable/disable trading shortcut(r)

Just disable default key (r)

20%

Replace with movement-based allow/deny

20%

Disable default key (r) AND add movement-based allow/deny option

40%

Do nothing

20%

Total votes: 5
ThinkSome
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

enable/disable trading shortcut (r)

Post by ThinkSome »

From the last year of my lurking around the servers, it seems that this shortcut is a problem. New players, especially, will accidentally press the button and disable trades, then wonder why they cannot trade among themselves.

I would like to get rid of this, so instead I propose a system whereby trade requests are automatically rejected if you have moved in the last 3 or 5 seconds. If the required time has not passed, the client could put a "NAME wants to trade with you, please stand still for N seconds" above your head.

If there is overwhelming demand for that option existing. then I can probably leave it in, but turn it into a ternary:

• Disable unconditionally;

• Enable if your avatar has not moved in the last 3 s;

• Enable unconditionally.

but I'd rather not do this as it's extra bloat.

The movement delay can also be made configurable, but something between 3-5s should be enough for everyone.

I also thought about making trades not work if hostile monsters are around, but I don't know of an easy way of checking monsters for aggression.

Thoughts?

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Re: enable/disable trading shortcut (r)

Post by Livio »

Just move the "enabled/disabled trades" message from debug to general chat.
So you see a message over your character or even better an icon (like magic cooldown) would be better IMHO.

[spoiled]
In ancient times, n00bs that dared to trade and asked itenplz were rewarded by ancient wizards with itenz.
So trade were reserved only to wise manaworldians...
[/spoiled]

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: enable/disable trading shortcut (r)

Post by Ledmitz »

This is a known exploit to kill ppl at bad times. I never liked it as default before, but now its such a habit I'm TOO used to it. I also get annoyed with having to check debug to see, so I also agree it should show in General. I could change my options to show in General, but all other server messages would show there too, unwanted.
I have a much worse issue with the "npc talk" key initiating the buy/sell window when standing too close to a character. I'd love to see that removed/changed.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak