Player-set

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

stava
Novice
Novice

Re: Player-set

Post by stava »

If you want to help me, here are PNG sprites.
They aren't shaded
Attachments
Player-set work.PNG
Player-set work.PNG (45.99 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
Last edited by stava on 05 Mar 2010, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Thanks for bringing such management preview, Stava.

Best regards.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

What I've been doing for the moment is placing these on sheets of 64x64 frames with the invisible BG and can easily plug in the semi-transparent pixels. That way you don't have to think about it and can edit the way you like.

Instead of expanding player_male_base.png these can go in new sheets, no need to think about that either. All we need are motions good-to-go.
Gouki
Novice
Novice

Post by Gouki »

The polearmswing is not realistic.^^ Angle, foot distance, arm movements etc should be fixed
Why yearn live knowing everything must die?

豪鬼VS真豪鬼
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Care to post WIP transparent work made so far, bcs86?

Best regards.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Bertram,
2h.xcf.bz2
This and others.

I can get all the crap out of Stava's way while she is still doing the work.

Did a little shading.

The frames will be aligned later. The sheet will be different when the toons have all been placed on 64x64 layers and checked for alignment and animation.

Reminder: Be sure that the basic animation works before fleshing out the sprites. :cry:
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

bcs86 wrote:Bertram,

I can get all the crap out of Stava's way while she is still doing the work.

:
he* :(
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Thanks for the material, bcs86. I'm sure we could use these frames to prepare the animation coding.

:arrow: Thanks Stava. You and bcs86 have provided some nice advancement on the playerset road. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think the polearm trusting animation would look better when the trust wouldn't be in such a straight line but with a slight swing instead. Like this:
Prepare frame: weapon pointing slightly outwards
In-motion frame: weapon pointing straight ahead
Final frame: weapon pointing slightly inwards.

On an unrelated note: I think we should remove the additional spellcasting animation and use one of the normal attack animation for this purpose. Every unnecessary frame we can save means less work for equipment which means more diverse equipment. For the same reason you should try to reuse the same frame for different animations. You are already doing this with the "haul" animation from the bow animation which is great, but I think you should look into using other frames for the in-between frames as well.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

Crush wrote: On an unrelated note: I think we should remove the additional spellcasting animation and use one of the normal attack animation for this purpose. Every unnecessary frame we can save means less work for equipment which means more diverse equipment. For the same reason you should try to reuse the same frame for different animations. You are already doing this with the "haul" animation from the bow animation which is great, but I think you should look into using other frames for the in-between frames as well.
Now you say this.. :|
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I still want the spell preparation animation in there. But should be just one frame, as I've originally suggested: only the prayer pose frame. You do not need the grandious movement for getting into the prayer pose. While you prepare your spell you have that frame and a potential particle effect to indicate you are charging something up. When you cast your spell, you "punch it out".
This message used to be meaningful.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I would like it if we had two or three spell casting animations, for different types of spells...

Like:
- A Target Opponent cast animation (something that looks like you are actually projecting a spell onto the target)
- A healing cast animation (same as the last one, but should look different, and have no kill intent in it
- A self cast animation (when you cast spells onto your self... it should not look as if you are projecting the spell)

While I think this would add a richer experience to the game, there is also gameplay value in this. Since we don't have labeled classes, you have to figure out what players are by their gear and what they are doing. If you see someone casting a spell over and over you don't know if that person is buffing them self for a major attack, healing a friend (which is quite possibility unwanted). Or if they are attacking a target.

I am aware we can have particle effects to describe these actions. And I know how stressful adding even one frame is....

But, it would be nice...
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There are other ways to denote the target of a spellcast. Methods with a much better cost/effect ratio than a couple of new frames for every single piece of equipment in the game.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Kage wrote:I would like it if we had two or three spell casting animations, for different types of spells...
No.

The prayer pose preparation stays.
This message used to be meaningful.
stava
Novice
Novice

Post by stava »

I think this is finished, shading needs fix.. I think somebody else should do the shading since I'm not sure about the technique :)
Attachments
Player-set work.PNG
Player-set work.PNG (47.2 KiB) Viewed 3800 times