Balance classes idea - special moves archer/warrior

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Balance classes idea - special moves archer/warrior

Post by ZdlN »

Hi all,

I have an idea how to balance the current "classes".

I think the variety of spells makes it possible for a mage to be so "overpowered". With offensive spells he can fight and with defensive spells he can hide and defend (like runner in candor).
Warriors and Archers do not have the choice to do this.

How about special moves for archers and warriors?

for example:

Archer:

temporarily slow the fire rate and increase damage and precision.

temporarily increase the fire rate and decrease damage and precision.
or maybe charge for a moment or two and then shoot a stronger arrow

Warrior:

Temporarily increase ragging (maybe with later little lesser damage)

Guard another player temporary and focus the damage the other player should get to the warrior

Increase defence but decrease strengh

Maybe ways to do this are a manabar-like thing for warriors and archers, or "magic spells" not depending on mana and intelligence but with high regeneration rate and maybe only one special move a time.

Is that possible to do? :D
Is that a good or a very bad idea? :cry:

What do you all think about? :?:

kind regards
ZdlN

Edit - this is a "Strict moderation forum" if my topic is not allowed please push it into an other forum. Sorry and Thanks
"What's a philosopher? A man who opposes nature against law, reason against custom, his consciousness against public opinion, and its judgment against error."
Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort (6 avril 1740-13 avril 1794)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited"
Albert Einstein (14.03.1879-18.04.1955)

both translated by the player Nard
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Balance classes idea - special moves archer/warrior

Post by o11c »

ZdlN wrote:Edit - this is a "Strict moderation forum" if my topic is not allowed please push it into an other forum. Sorry and Thanks
It's not strictly inappropriate, but I prefer keeping Tech Dev clear of anything that doesn't have an implementation. Sigh, we really need a "nursery development" forum.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Post by ZdlN »

o11c wrote:Sigh, we really need a "nursery development" forum.
Good idea :mrgreen:
"What's a philosopher? A man who opposes nature against law, reason against custom, his consciousness against public opinion, and its judgment against error."

ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Post by ZdlN »

Ok, feedback until now:

anything between brilliant and daffy 8)

... I hoped to get a little bit ... more :lol:

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

There's the plan to have active skills. At the moment we only have passive skills, which have effect all the time while you're focused on them. Active skills are actions that are triggered by some user action, and they might have some warm-up or cool-down time.
Several aspects would need implementation for this to work:

For active skills, there need to be some kind of user interface in the client to use them, e.g. a shortcut bar where you can put them, so you could trigger to use them by just pressing one button. The mana developers are currently working on a redesign of the UI, and this is one of the points involved in the redesign. In manaplus it's already possible to put spells on shortcuts, so I assume it wouldn't be much work for 4144 to make shortcuts for skills possible as well.

I'm not very familiar with the protocol that's used by server and client to communicate, but I assume it would also be needed to extend this protocol, so the client can tell the server something like 'Hey, I want to use active skill xy.' and the server can reply 'Yes, you can use skill xy now.' or 'No, you can't use skill xy, because the cool-down time isn't over yet.'
o11c, can you say anything about this?

When those points are covered, it'd be worthwhile to start developing the actual skills. That'd involve implementation on server-side, but also visual representation in the client.

So yes, your idea is really good and would make gameplay much more enjoyable. :) But it's also a lot of work, which partly is already in progress, so it won't be possible to have this within near future. Still I hope that we get to that point some day.
ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Post by ZdlN »

Thank you very much for your comment :D
And also for the"nursery development" to translate ist into a development-like language :wink:

One Question i have:
What is the difference between the spells form a mage and this active skills?

So i know both have a temporary effect and a cool down time. Only in the use of mana and m. attack i see a the difference - are there more?

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

ZdlN wrote: One Question i have:
What is the difference between the spells form a mage and this active skills?

So i know both have a temporary effect and a cool down time. Only in the use of mana and m. attack i see a the difference - are there more?
The magic spells are done in a scripting language that was invented by some now inactive developer. In case you're interested to have a look, here is the file where the spells are defined: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... f.template
Unfortunately that language is rather confusing, and since its inventor is inactive, nobody is really familiar with it. Only MrGrey tried to get into it and is working on some new spells.
The spells are intended to be typed into the chat (I think for role playing purposes, but not sure), so don't really have a user interface.

It'd probably possible to add 'spells' that don't consume mana, and use them similiar to how active skills are intended to work. But this would be a really really dirty hack which I personally wouldn't want to maintain/develop/work with.
I think it'd be much cleaner and more comfortable to work with to have the skills in the server.
ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Post by ZdlN »

Jenalya wrote:In case you're interested to have a look, here is the file where the spells are defined: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... f.template
Ok, i see - struktures with very much links to other structures - makes sense to the minde created this ...
It's too bad that the informations are vague :(

When i wish good luck for this process!

Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

See also the [spell language documentation].

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

which hardly covers what's possible and what isn't because some things of this documentation aren't implemented and there are things which are implemented but not in the docu...

so it's a mess.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Ignore the parts describing obscure or shroud functionality. Aside from that, it's pretty accurately documented.

There are already spells that don't use mana; just don't add MANA to the spell guards. See quasispells like `marry'.

If there's anything specific that you're not fully sure about, you can always ask. :)

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Gatekeeper
Peon
Peon

Post by Gatekeeper »

hm iron-potion = more Damage Con-potion = more Speed
This are Quasispells for both Warrior and Archers but no Defence-potion ? same Timelimit as the Iron-potion.
This would be really cool.
Wenn Ich die Welt in Händen tragen könnte, Ich würde Sie zerquetschen ;)
Oder Gar nicht mehr über sowas nachdenken.