Homophobia in game?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Homophobia in game?

Post by Big Crunch »

The use of hate speech will not be tolerated. Whether it be racial or sexual in nature, is irrelevant. Thank you, good day.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

Big Crunch wrote:The use of hate speech will not be tolerated. Whether it be racial or sexual in nature, is irrelevant. Thank you, good day.

BC
Well make sure all the GM's know this, because i have witnessed it happen in the game when the GM's do nothing about it. I wont mention names because i dont wanna start more chaos then there is already.

Cheers,
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I've also seen GMs warning people to not insult other players when those players used the word gay. What if that person was actually gay? Is that an insult?
If someone feels offended it doesn't matter. The one using that word as an insult is the one wrong here, not the "insulted" straight guy. :D

Also, speaking of racism, why is there only one skin color for TMW models? :P

TMW Team member

Flenix
Peon
Peon

Post by Flenix »

even snail use hate speech about sexuality difference :shock: (if you were not in know snail are not female or male when they born). this is the proof that people want to insult the others by one way: the difference.
you're always insulted when you're different. "hey, you're too fat"|"you're too ...."|"hey, you're gay: you don't * female: you're not like X% of the population..."
if you take this stupidity as thatit can hurt.
when they say that sort of thing, they want you to don't react; break the silence and kill him in the pvp :twisted: ....

fluffies see my as a stranger just because I'm a bit different, I'm just taller :(
I'm the best fluffy
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRLVsd5X ... re=related
Remember that to me you are all equally worthless :wink:
Pixel Battalion
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

thanks Len, that means a lot :oops:

Flenix: Pvp isn't really an option when noone ever goes to those pvp zones willingly lol, now if we had some amazingly unfair way to warp other players to the terranite cave for instance... :twisted:
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Piateluca
Novice
Novice

Post by Piateluca »

one of the signs says i love my gay TIA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

mistergrey wrote:a player was sitting on random people claiming he loved them
Not to detract from the general topic here, but this seems abusive behavior in both directions.

Personally, I really don't like anything sexual or pseudosexual directed at me from a gay guy. Note that I am also pretty harsh about unwanted advances from females (which has been all of them :cry: ).
.:WildX:. wrote:Also, speaking of racism, why is there only one skin color for TMW models? :P
I've been told it is possible with the mana 0.5 client, I'm not sure about tmw 0.0.29.1. That being said, there are a lot of hard-coded "job class" conditions in the current server, I have completely removed these as part of my rewrite so some form of races can be readded (i.e., with the same packets so it will work with mana 0.5) without all the clutter.

Keep in mind that there is a limited number of classes since the same numbers are used for mobs and NPCs (although I would like to get rid of these, unfortunately I can't break backward compatibility. Yet). It's probably not a very good idea to use the 4000s.

Code: Select all

static Being *createBeing(int id, short job)
{
    ActorSprite::Type type = ActorSprite::UNKNOWN;
    if (job <= 25 || (job >= 4001 && job <= 4049))
        type = ActorSprite::PLAYER;
    else if (job >= 46 && job <= 1000)
        type = ActorSprite::NPC;
    else if (job > 1000 && job <= 2000)
        type = ActorSprite::MONSTER;
    else if (job == 45)
        return NULL; // Skip portals

Being *being = actorSpriteManager->createBeing(id, type, job);

if (type == ActorSprite::PLAYER || type == ActorSprite::NPC)
    {
        MessageOut outMsg(0x0094);
        outMsg.writeInt32(id);//readLong(2));
    }

return being;
}
It might be helpful to have a clear enumeration of how races would be allocated. If there were 2 skin colors, I foresee similar arguments for how racist it is against people with other shades... There should also be discussion as to whether there will ever be what should maybe be called different species - elves, dwarves, orcs ... (mythology varies as to whether these "races" can reproduce, and besides, it has been found that the definition of a species as "they can reproduce and the offspring is not sterile" isn't really that rigid anyway)
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

In response to o11c, yes, the player who was sitting on people was rather annoying, but the reactions of other players went above and beyond appropriate. If I call you a jerk, and you proceed to call me a Cigarette, you can't say you were justified by my minor action to use hateful words used to mock an entire group of people. I don't think any minor provocation, or really any kind, should justify doing something like that.
o11c wrote:Personally, I really don't like anything sexual or pseudosexual directed at me from a gay guy
So, you're saying if a straight guy makes joking advances on you, that's cool, but if the person happens to like men as well, then it bothers you? Also... what do you mean by pseudosexual in this context?
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P

<o11c> chatroulette

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Homophobia is not a crime. o11c is aloud to be bothered by it. In his defense the only thing that would be wrong here is if he was using hate speech. So why would you ask him such a personal question?

Edit:
And I will answer this question with yet another of my personal opinions, As long as the gay guy is taken I'm cool with it.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

No, it's not a crime Meway, just like being racist, but when you speak up on it you kind of make an ass of yourself. And why can't I ask a personal question, to try and understand how people think? To me, it's plain disgusting to make someone feel like there's something wrong with them, over something they themselves can't help. Sure you say you have no problem with gay people, but your attitude says otherwise. Basically you're fine as long as they never say how they feel when it involves you, but when so many people feel that way... that's why people are scared to just be themselves. Because nobody just realizes "oh wait, they feel the exact same as me, just in the direction of the same gender, even if they hit on me it doesn't mean they intend to molest me"...

Anyways you're not apologizing for being insulting or sharing your own views on the topic here, so why should I for asking questions?

<o11c> chatroulette

yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

mistergrey wrote:No, it's not a crime Meway, just like being racist, but when you speak up on it you kind of make an ass of yourself. And why can't I ask a personal question, to try and understand how people think? To me, it's plain disgusting to make someone feel like there's something wrong with them, over something they themselves can't help.
Ill have to agree with mistergrey here, nobody at all should feel like they should be left out, or discusted by the way they are. Everyone should be treated equally because thats how much respect they desurve an EQUAL amount of it. you cant judge someone over their sexuality, thats like gay people judging people because their straight lol or treating them differently because of it.
People who treat other people differently because they are gay or whatever the case is, do us all a favor and get over it and GROW UP.

Cheers!
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
zxzack
Peon
Peon

Post by zxzack »

wow this has engendered a lot of discussion. it is "hate speech", just about everyone agrees with that. So the next thing to do is to figure out how to respond.
1. gm's ban the char for using hate speech.
2. the other players use the "nuke" function on the hater.

The last could be announced to the ppl in the area, so that everyone ignores the hater, and thus when he has no attention, will prolly stop. This sort of thing happens when ppl are bothered themselves, and try to take it out on someone else, but if the other person ignores them, they usually stop.
En Taro Tassadar :P
Praecellens Esto!
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I never said that someone should feel disgusting yubaba or mrgrey. If I let someone know ,male or female, that I'm not interested, thats that. If they feel disgusting because I'm not attracted to them than they need to move on because nothing good could come out of a relationship like that.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

I do not wish TMW community to be hunted for what they said.
I love jokes, including those about Jews, Poles/French/Americans/whatever, gays, lesbians, black people, white people and so on.
However there are rules I set and those are to be obeyed, and I don't really care if someone was called a Cigarette, a nigger or snail-eater - your freedom ends where someone else's freedom begins, a person harassing other person will be warned and then banned.

Anyway don't make TMW responsible for people yapping about that they hate gays, black people and so on - let them - honestly, who cares? Those who care what idiots think are idiots themselves, we don't want idiots to play this game. If they insult you - report them, simple as that.

However don't bring political correctness stuff to TMW, because this community is not guided by it - we respect other people because they are people, not because some shiny pearl smiling celebrities or politicians tells us this is right.

I remember one day I was banned from a game (Auteria) for telling a gay moderator that he is a gay Female dog, wolf, fox or otter (without any warnings - real reason was that I and not him anymore, had a highest harvest level in game). :D Gosh, people you are so picky and this is mainly what is annoying.

Regards.