bot check

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: bot check

Post by Frost »

What Prsm, Narus, Tiana, and BC are saying sounds quite reasonable. If a GM pops in to do a botcheck, either
a) take a sec as you're pounding your keyboard to say hello (it's just courteous after all) or
b) pause your bot to reply or
c) switch quickly between the bots in your stack to acknowledge the GM

Certainly, some people might find it difficult to get to their keyboard in time, or might not be checking their bots often enough to notice the GM. They have every reason to feel threatened by this policy. The rest of us can just keep on playing the way we always have, and enjoying the game.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
dayve
Novice
Novice

Post by dayve »

Frost wrote:Certainly, some people might find it difficult to get to their keyboard in time, or might not be checking their bots often enough to notice the GM. They have every reason to feel threatened by this policy. The rest of us can just keep on playing the way we always have, and enjoying the game.
[2011-06-18 21:19:02] 025-1.gat(107,73) Tiana(2090658) : @t Imaginary Burro, are you there?
[2011-06-18 21:19:35] 025-1.gat(47,95) Tiana(2090658) : @t you have 2 minutes to respond
[2011-06-18 21:19:45] 025-1.gat(23,93) Tiana(2090658) : @t to this botcheck
[2011-06-18 21:20:53] 025-1.gat(53,69) Tiana(2090658) : @t please respond burro
[2011-06-18 21:21:54] 025-1.gat(36,51) Tiana(2090658) : @l player responded

Like this?
Kandiman wrote:I support this idea as well. Running away from a botcheck shows either a guilty conscience or an automated attempt to bypass the rules.
Last edited by dayve on 21 Aug 2011, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
dayve
Novice
Novice

Post by dayve »

Big Crunch wrote:There is no reason for the player to stop killing, because we don't want to hinder their fun or get the character killed, however we need a measure of cooperation as well. I think this is a perfectly reasonable requirement. Screen size doesn't matter as text is only seen in a certain area.
So now it require to run with the chat screen up too?
dayve
Novice
Novice

Post by dayve »

Tiana wrote:I am a bit puzzled by the harsh tone of DarkWater's post. If I do a botcheck I do expect a response, but not a cessation of all activity. And to indicate that I want a response I will use a name (sometimes there are several players on the screen). As I know there is a limitation to how far away you can be to see a response I use whatever tools are at my disposal to make sure my inquiry is seen, and any response it seen. Yes, that means I use the follow command when necessary.

Leaving the screen does not matter to me, I will stay with you if I have reason to be suspicious.

I do not expect all players ever to stop what they are doing when I appear, most will tell you the opposite is true. I only want a response when I ask for one. A general hi is my way of giving all a chance to say hi, if there is someone who I was suspicious about to begin with I will say hello to them specifically.

I don't know if this post helps clear things up or just makes it more confusing, but I will do my job using what tools I have available.
Thanks Tiana, clear or not, i wanted your thoughts
dayve
Novice
Novice

Post by dayve »

prsm wrote:You have played this game more than most, and since day one if a GM says hello a response was expected.
I said hi many times and you insult me by replying that botting software will respond automatically, and then ask for question anyway. i have ask you to skip insult and just ask for a reply.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

dayve wrote:
Big Crunch wrote:There is no reason for the player to stop killing, because we don't want to hinder their fun or get the character killed, however we need a measure of cooperation as well. I think this is a perfectly reasonable requirement. Screen size doesn't matter as text is only seen in a certain area.
So now it require to run with the chat screen up too?
by 'certain area' i mean that chat is only registered and sent by the server to other clients if both are within 'x' amount of space of one another. Play with your settings as you wish. If you believe your settings are sufficient to meet the requirements of a botcheck, then by all means do as you wish.

The reason for this thread is to make everyone aware of what we expect. This is not to unduly punish or persecute those we may suspect of botting, this is merely a reasonable requirement.
sexy red bearded GM
Narus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Narus »

dayve wrote:
prsm wrote:You have played this game more than most, and since day one if a GM says hello a response was expected.
I said hi many times and you insult me by replying that botting software will respond automatically, and then ask for question anyway. i have ask you to skip insult and just ask for a reply.
@dayve Is not an insult, is a fact that automated clients can reply "hi" so we ask random questions to ALL players it seems you are taking this personally and is not, ask other players if we botcheck them with questions, please really is not AGAINST players not you or other, so don't think this is for you. Go and talk to other fully automated players and see we ask them random things to all.
A "hi" is not a proper answer so we ask tricky things a bot cant anticipate. So i hope respond to us about silly questions is not too much of a problem as is not for other players.

@all players: If you use an automated client and are there to watch them you will have no problem to answer a GM any silly question we ask. We don't ask tricky things either so don't worry you don´t need to study from books. And as long as a player respond in 2 minutes everything will be ok.
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

Can this please be a level playing field! You have asked us to follow the rules, please follow the same rules.
You have asked us to to do this and that, that's fair, we are asking for you to do the same!

If you spent half the time refuting the rules and just spent 1 minute following them, this case would be closed.
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
Jael RD
Peon
Peon

Post by Jael RD »

Tiana wrote:I am a bit puzzled by the harsh tone of DarkWater's post. If I do a botcheck I do expect a response, but not a cessation of all activity. And to indicate that I want a response I will use a name (sometimes there are several players on the screen). As I know there is a limitation to how far away you can be to see a response I use whatever tools are at my disposal to make sure my inquiry is seen, and any response it seen. Yes, that means I use the follow command when necessary.

Leaving the screen does not matter to me, I will stay with you if I have reason to be suspicious.

I do not expect all players ever to stop what they are doing when I appear, most will tell you the opposite is true. I only want a response when I ask for one. A general hi is my way of giving all a chance to say hi, if there is someone who I was suspicious about to begin with I will say hello to them specifically.

I don't know if this post helps clear things up or just makes it more confusing, but I will do my job using what tools I have available.

I am agreed with Tiana, you have a lot of tools available to do your job. But that new idea is rude with the players, i am not telling you to take all your time running behind a player, but if you try to talk in 3 or 4 different screen you can banned for an hour or proceed with the 2 minutes counting for the permanent banned. As Tiana said you got a lot of Tools and rules. working perfectly for years as others players and older than me told me.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Jael RD wrote:

I am agreed with Tiana, you have a lot of tools available to do your job. But that new idea is rude with the players, i am not telling you to take all your time running behind a player, but if you try to talk in 3 or 4 different screen you can banned for an hour or proceed with the 2 minutes counting for the permanent banned. As Tiana said you got a lot of Tools and rules. working perfectly for years as others players and older than me told me.
We will make every effort to make sure the player hears the initial botcheck warning. After that it is their responsibility to respond to us. Its not a matter of being rude. If a police officer flashes his lights at you, you have to pull over. That is all we are requiring. If you are in an aggro area, continue to protect yourself, but we cannot have someone seeing us then moving to another map and responding, and get banned and cry foul. That is why we are requiring this.

To reiterate. If you are botchecked, stop your movement, or at least stay within a few tiles of the GM, and continue killing if it is necessary, and respond.
sexy red bearded GM
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

GMs wrote:notification of ongoing plans to fulfill duties
Botters wrote:a bunch of bullshit, should have a tl;dr warning
GMs wrote:reasonable and logical argument
Botters wrote:accusations of personal attack
GMs wrote:disprovement of accusations and appeal to common sense
Botters wrote:request for exemption from rules
Players wrote:support for the rules and understanding of basic human nature
GMs wrote:reiteration of methods to fulfill duties
Mistakes wrote:clarification because the botters made entire thread tl;dr
ebattleon
Peon
Peon

Post by ebattleon »

First off why are "bot's " legal in the first place?

Anyway the expectation is GM shows up wearing pretty hat or not, will be doing a bot check.
And you are to respond and not run away from angry monster even if you are down to 50HP (or not).

I'll be honest there are so many technical solutions to this the simplest being to PM the possible offender...
The most technical is that the server only allows clients of a certain type, or hash to play. Which certainly kill the whole
bot issue.

At the end of the day you have your jobs to do, we just have to hope that you do it without, fare, favor or bad hair days. :shock:
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

to answer the above question. the gm's created a automated client, TIM, but it got out of their control. now they want to put the Genie back in the bottle. they are looking for a way to close the holes that they have used for the last year to bot. wonder why they are 99, not prsm or ti. to ti, honestly, I am not bitter,just see a way for a gm to bend the rule to ban the, as mistakes said, botters. of course they are always guilty before innoccent.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

DarkWater wrote:to answer the above question. the gm's created a automated client, TIM, but it got out of their control. now they want to put the Genie back in the bottle. they are looking for a way to close the holes th?at they have used for the last year to bot. wonder why they are 99, not prsm or ti. to ti, honestly, I am not bitter,just see a way for a gm to bend the rule to ban the, as mistakes said, botters. of course they are always guilty before innoccent.
You didnt actually answer the question.

Ebattleon, automation is not against the rules. It is the afk aspect that is. Which is why we require an answer.

Dark Water, ok. Just....ok. I will say this...Again.

Do i have a custom client? Yes I do. So the Duck what?

You forget DW. I've listened to you rant and rave for over a year about this conspiracy and that conspiracy. You and your 'sister' claim that YOU got me elected GM. I challenge that. I say the people of TMW elected me. Frankly by even saying that you insult me and every player on the server you claim to care about.

For the past year you have come onto the forums and attacked people and things. You and your 'sister' even call you an 'attack dog'. I would go so far as to say that you have no care or concern for this game. You just want to remain relevant and you are struggling with that, so you attack anyone and everyone around, provided you think it will help you in your struggle.

Understand what i'm saying though, dw. I dont dislike you or hate you or even take it personally. When i accepted the job as GM i knew that at some point i was going to do something to draw your ire. I told you back then that I would be a GM first, and a player and friend second. Make no bones about it. I stand behind this because it is the right thing to do.

Perhaps, Dark Water, you should just go back to your life and forget TMW. You have no friends here anymore, barring Dayve. You are a TOTAL unknown, with the exception of the people that frequent the forums who think you are a troll and nutjob. Most of the people that say they know you have you confused with Dark Wind for god's sake. Go back to your happy 'real' life and leave me alone. I enjoy playing this game, i do a good job as a GM, and would appreciate you shutting the Duck up. I'm getting tired of reading your drivel.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

DarkWater wrote:to answer the above question. the gm's created a automated client, TIM, but it got out of their control. now they want to put the Genie back in the bottle. they are looking for a way to close the holes that they have used for the last year to bot. wonder why they are 99, not prsm or ti. to ti, honestly, I am not bitter,just see a way for a gm to bend the rule to ban the, as mistakes said, botters. of course they are always guilty before innoccent.
1. "the gms" did not create that client
2. prsm and tiana were both 99 before they were elected
3. no rules are being bent. when a gm greets you, you Duck greet back. this tells them that you are not afk and is generally pleasant, if they were always guilty before proven innocent, then they would just start with a botcheck
Big Crunch wrote: You didnt actually answer the question.

Ebattleon, automation is not against the rules. It is the afk aspect that is. Which is why we require an answer.

Dark Water, ok. Just....ok. I will say this...Again.

Do i have a custom client? Yes I do. So the **** what?

You forget DW. I've listened to you rant and rave for over a year about this conspiracy and that conspiracy. You and your 'sister' claim that YOU got me elected GM. I challenge that. I say the people of TMW elected me. Frankly by even saying that you insult me and every player on the server you claim to care about.

For the past year you have come onto the forums and attacked people and things. You and your 'sister' even call you an 'attack dog'. I would go so far as to say that you have no care or concern for this game. You just want to remain relevant and you are struggling with that, so you attack anyone and everyone around, provided you think it will help you in your struggle.

Understand what i'm saying though, dw. I dont dislike you or hate you or even take it personally. When i accepted the job as GM i knew that at some point i was going to do something to draw your ire. I told you back then that I would be a GM first, and a player and friend second. Make no bones about it. I stand behind this because it is the right thing to do.

Perhaps, Dark Water, you should just go back to your life and forget TMW. You have no friends here anymore, barring Dayve. You are a TOTAL unknown, with the exception of the people that frequent the forums who think you are a troll and nutjob. Most of the people that say they know you have you confused with Dark Wind for god's sake. Go back to your happy 'real' life and leave me alone. I enjoy playing this game, i do a good job as a GM, and would appreciate you shutting the **** up. I'm getting tired of reading your drivel.

BC
+1