TMW Official Facebook Pages

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: TMW Official Facebook Pages

Post by o11c »

Hmm ... is the logo not GPL? I had always assumed it was, but it is not part of game content and AFAIK was not posted under the forum GPL rule ... and the only thing the front page says is "© 2004-2011 The Mana World Dev Team".

In any case, the trademark claim is particularly strong - that page is deliberately trying to mislead.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

o11c wrote:Hmm ... is the logo not GPL?
Even the GPL suggests asserting copyright on covered work. GPLv2 and v3 are similar in this respect, but v3 is more explicit:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

"7. Additional Terms.
Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, for material you add to a covered work, you may (if authorized by the copyright holders of that material) supplement the terms of this License with terms:
a) Disclaiming warranty or limiting liability differently from the terms of sections 15 and 16 of this License; or
b) Requiring preservation of specified reasonable legal notices or author attributions in that material or in the Appropriate Legal Notices displayed by works containing it; or
c) Prohibiting misrepresentation of the origin of that material, or requiring that modified versions of such material be marked in reasonable ways as different from the original version; or
d) Limiting the use for publicity purposes of names of licensors or authors of the material; or
e) Declining to grant rights under trademark law for use of some trade names, trademarks, or service marks..."
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

o11c wrote:Hmm ... is the logo not GPL?
Facebooks terms of use and copyright policy for uploads from users are incompatible with the GNU GPL. When you upload images to facebook, you have to garant facebook "an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sub licenses of the foregoing."

The GNU GPL allows you to do all that, but only under specific conditions, namely that the recipient also does all that under the GPL. But the facebook copyright policy does not allow any additional conditions.

When you upload GPL work to Facebook, you are violating the GPL!
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Frost wrote:
i wrote:Owner of this unofficial page (http://www.facebook.com/themanaworldofficial) stole my graphics. The case will end up in court as DMCA copyright violation.
What an inappropriate FaceBook page! I certainly wish you the best. Is that the page BaseBallBoy/Djai set up?
No, I already spoke with Irukard and explained that the page was not mine.

-BBB
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:When you upload GPL work to Facebook, you are violating the GPL!
Yes it is, if you submit someone's else work. In this case not really. I have full right to do it as author of TMW logo.
Frost wrote:If I had a claim in this, I'd start with http://www.facebook.com/legal/copyright ... wto_report
I did it yesterday.
Derpella wrote:Those are our good, old tmw trolls. I don't think scaring them with lawyers will work. Or is a good idea.
I'm not scaring them, just informing.

The "About Page" is done: http://www.facebook.com/themanaworld?sk ... 5102528120
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

The page was reported as Intellectual Property infringement. Copyrighted content (TMW Logo) was already removed twice by FB. This time I demanded granting administrative rights over the page or deleting it.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

The unofficial site was taken off the Facebook network today. It's too bad that the author of that page didn't reveal his identity.