No Betsanc and Asorm allowed in town?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Nami
Novice
Novice

No Betsanc and Asorm allowed in town?

Post by Nami »

Today, a certain person was abusing the 'Betsanc' spell in town, looks like they had a few hard spikes to throw around and were casting the spell on everyone, anyway, maybe there could be a restriction on using spells like Betsanc in town?

Thanks.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: No Betsanc and Asorm allowed in town?

Post by o11c »

I fail to see the usefulness of such a rule, unless it is under the concept of "spamming".

One of the few kinds of legitimate negative roleplaying would be casting non-offense spells to make other people's life more difficult.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

Seriously? Do you think this is a serious problem? If someone would want to bestanc you to slow you down, s/he would still be able outside. And if you're just sitting in the town, what of kind problem is that?
I'm Image too much.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When a spell has (at least partially) negative consequences for the target and you can cast it on other players outside of PvP areas, that spell maybe needs to be redesigned.

When you don't want people to step on the lawn, putting a fence around it is a better solution than guarding it 24/7.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Nami
Novice
Novice

Post by Nami »

But it is annoying when there is red, constantly flashing on your screen.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

Misusing it happens very, very rarely, and in most cases it's a mistake. And what Nami observed, was not harmful, it just annoyed him.
If betsanc will be limited because of it, it would really upset people, I think.
I'm Image too much.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

This is a tempest in a teacup. Compared to much of what is said in town, #betsanc is just line noise.

Maybe if you're easily offended and you hide the chat window, then you have to complain about actions: betsanc, asorm, walking, and summoning.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

and emotes ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

I don't think there's any need for such a restriction - spells like rain and arrow rain were restricted as they caused lag I believe, but spells like betsanc and asorm (or phys protect and magic protect) do nothing of that sort. Asorm doesn't have any negative effects as far as I know, and betsanc slows down attack speed, making it a useful spell to use on rival players who rely on speed when competing in pvp or for drops/monsters. The player who was abusing it in town was warned (unofficially I believe) to stop, not because of overusing it or because it slowed some players down, but because he intentionally cast it multiple times on players who asked him to stop, and not in a competitive setting.

Not to mention, if restrictions were placed on these spells, inevitably someone would complain about people casting joyplim (the smily emote spell), anwiltyp (hide spell), plugh (the weight loss spell :P), etc, and that's not really a fun path to go down in my opinion.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
DefinitelyNOTMrWho
Novice
Novice

Post by DefinitelyNOTMrWho »

Nami97 wrote:Today, a certain person was abusing the 'Betsanc' spell in town, looks like they had a few hard spikes to throw around and were casting the spell on everyone, anyway, maybe there could be a restriction on using spells like Betsanc in town?

Thanks.
What a great idea, from now on I will cast betsanc on everybody in town, i have a few thousand spikes to spare
Gravity is a myth, Earth Sucks!!!
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Many games have an option to let a player "shrug off" unwanted buffs.
how hard could this be to implement? it would be helpful in pvp areas for obvious reasons.
I can think of other reasons to be able to shrug off buffs as well... Candor raids.
My inability to stab people in the face with an ice pick over the Internet...etc. =]
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Some things I have been curious about is, Why does betsanc have any negative effect at all? How does a transparent, magical barrier manage to slow you down? and What was the purpose of this?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak