Right to participate in GM polls

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Techron
Novice
Novice

Right to participate in GM polls

Post by Techron »

I don't post unless I have something to say. I agree that as-of-late there have been a couple of spammers of this type. I don't have enough posts to vote yet even though I first started posting in May of 2010. Maybe it should be not the amount of posts that qualify you, but when you joined the forum, or even a combination of both. Just my thoughts....

Techron
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Spam yourself to 20 posts

Post by Crush »

Techron wrote:Maybe it should be not the amount of posts that qualify you, but when you joined the forum
Using the registration time would make it easy to "silently" register a few dozen accounts and have a huge voting power a few weeks later. By forcing people to post, they can't do it without raising attention.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I noticed as you that some forum users spammed to be able to vote for GMs; and that spammers number increased a lot while the players number decreases. This is clearly cheating a fair rule. If you add the fact that some do not hesitate to do sockpuppetting while using dynamic IPs or proxys, I do agree with Platyna's idea: these GM polls have no more sense in actual conditions. GHP should stop them and lock this forum at least temporarily until a solution is found.
I think that all who really like this game, and despite, our different opinions will agree with me.
Perhaps Administrators could ask to forum contributors who want to vote or agree to be a GM to give their real identity and address, then have the polls among them only. Another idea is that administrators could just set a list of contributors they trust .
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Thanks for making this thread, Crush. It seems like the "least worst" way to manage the problem. :)
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

what if the votes do not have the same voting power (think of some kind of page rank algorithm) so trusted people have more weight than the newcomers?
(for easy implementation just use the logartihm of number of posts as the weight, so the blabbering idiots will take over powers in here)
---
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

argul wrote:what if the votes do not have the same voting power (think of some kind of page rank algorithm) so trusted people have more weight than the newcomers?
(for easy implementation just use the logartihm of number of posts as the weight, so the blabbering idiots will take over powers in here)
use the logarithm (10 base) of number of words as the weight :D
by the way:
Platyna wrote:Any post that has more than 5 sentences has no content.
how can we take this into account? :)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Right to participate in GM polls

Post by Crush »

Discussion split from http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 25&t=15363 (Spam yourself to 20 posts)
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Nard wrote: these GM polls have no more sense in actual conditions. GHP should stop them and lock this forum at least temporarily until a solution is found.
I agree that the current system isn't flawless, but it works out pretty well so far. The number of complaints against game masters (or lack of game masters) has gone down dramatically since we started it.

There is no reason to stop it, until we have a better system which is practicable.
Nard wrote:Perhaps Administrators could ask to forum contributors who want to vote or agree to be a GM to give their real identity and address, then have the polls among them only. Another idea is that administrators could just set a list of contributors they trust .
This, for example, is not a practicable system. Too much organizational overhead, too much data collection.
argul wrote:what if the votes do not have the same voting power (think of some kind of page rank algorithm) so trusted people have more weight than the newcomers?
Making the voting power dependent on the number of forum posts is a bad idea, in my opinion.

The whole purpose of the GM nomination system is to let the community decide who moderates them. Every player should count equally, not just those who participate in the forum.

By the way, when it comes to post count, I would have the biggest voting power, because I have by far the highest post count. The only time I am ingame is when I make broadcasts. Do you really want me to choose GMs for you? Someone who has never heard of most of the people being nominated?

The next person on the top posters list who is still active is Platyna with 1967 and then Matt with 1645. To be precises, the whole top 15 are - with the exception of Matt - staff members and ex-staff members.
  • NOT a game master

Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Vote weight should be inversely proportional to the number of computers the poster has.
Under that rule, my ideas would have approximately zero weight, meaning you should ignore my suggestion.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I think the current rules are just fine, or perhaps even increase the require post count. When I had less than 20 posts, I found myself wishing to be able to vote in GM polls, but I quickly found it didn't matter - by the time a GM poll can gain the required number of votes, it's quite easy to pass that post count without any contentless posts.

Also worth noting is this: if you try to artificially increase your post count, the easiest thing for administrators to do is simply delete *all* of your posts.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

lol! Why don't you drop the 20 post requirement then at all?
Immune
Peon
Peon

Post by Immune »

Make me a Mod I will take care of offtopicness >:D
.QUTA.
Peon
Peon

Post by .QUTA. »

Yeah matt you said it :)
McAffe: Unstolzer Windof besitzer
OnymA
Novice
Novice

Post by OnymA »

How about ingame requirements ? and/or ingame vote-/system/box/bot ?

-lvl : X
-in game time: Y hours
-vote cost: Z gp

for example

lvl 20
in game time 50h
vote cost 1000 monsterpoints or GP or ...
*wool producing*
.QUTA.
Peon
Peon

Post by .QUTA. »

OnymA wrote:How about ingame requirements ? and/or ingame vote-/system/box/bot ?

-lvl : X
-in game time: Y hours
-vote cost: Z gp

for example

lvl 20
in game time 50h
vote cost 1000 monsterpoints or GP or ...
I agree best idea :).
McAffe: Unstolzer Windof besitzer